Female with vitiligo and poliosis: Should I dye hair for interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I dye hair?

• Total voters

dianathehuntress

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have that cartoonish white hair streak, with black hair. I have vitiligo which is an autoimmune depigmentation disease. I have white patches all over my body, and a small, noticeable, white streak of hair. I was wondering if I should dye my hair completely black for interviews, or keep it. In ways, its important to my identity, but it may not look that professional. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I sure don't think so. I think it's important to stay true to yourself during the app season. Why mask it? Unless you feel extremely uncomfortable to a point where it might disrupt your performance at an interview.

Reactions: 1 user
Personally, I wouldn't. My best friend's fiancé has poliosis, and I have another friend with vitiligo and he's actually found it a benefit in his interviews (non-medical) and it creates a strong point of interest that can strike up good conversation during interviews. Which of course creates a good relationship between interviewer and interviewee which boosts points and probability you'll create a good impression.

On a different note, I don't think you should ever hide any aspect of yourself during interviews and relations with other people. You do you and own it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Only dye your hair if that is what you want to do regardless of interview status.

This is medical school, they understand vitiligo and poliosis.

I actually worked with a doctor who had vitiligo. Nothing to be ashamed of - it is just the human condition.

Reactions: 2 users
No way! I think the white streak in the hair looks awesome. Own it!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile