• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

ericdamiansean

High Profiler
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Can you estimate fetal weight by corresponding it to the gestational age? In case you're asked in an exam, and are supposed to give an educated guess

For eg, a 24 week old fetus would weight about 2200-2400g, a 36 week would weight about 3500g?

fuzzyerin

10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
a 24 week fetus weighs closer to 500-700g. but yes, you can estimate "about how much a baby weighs" from the gestational age.

DMBmatty08

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 27, 2004
Wisconsin
Status (Visible)
take a look at a pregnancy wheel, most have the corresponding weight in grams for the gestational age.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

tiredmom

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
There are tables that are regionally specific (we grow big babies here in San Antonio!) The only weight I would guess you might be asked would be a 500 gm weight because less than 500 gms is likely not to be a viable baby, so the pedi's won't rescuscitate them (ET tubes are too small to ventilate). That's at about 24 weeks, give or take a bit.

ericdamiansean

High Profiler
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
take a look at a pregnancy wheel, most have the corresponding weight in grams for the gestational age.

I wish I could drag a pregnancy wheel with me into my clinical skills exam, that and also the immunization schedule, growth charts, developmental milestones etc.. I'm only allowed to bring a measuring tape, pen torch, 2 rulers, and a tendon hammer..and this applies for all rotations.

Anyway, I've sort of made up a formula, doesn't work all the time though. For anything from 20-29 weeks, minus 18 and add 2 zeroes behind the figure you get ie if 28 weeks (28-18=10 "00" grams)
From 30-35, minus 12, so at 32 weeks it would be about 2000g
From 36 onwards, minus 6
I did notice that the decrements are in 6s ie 18, 12 and then 6

Do not quote me for any exams though:laugh:

tiredmom

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
On physical exam - if you picture a 1 L IV bag - guesstimate how many Iv bags big the baby is and each bag is 1000 grams. Why are you needing to come up with this info on a clinical skills exam?

ericdamiansean

High Profiler
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
LOL! Not if they are my monster babies!:laugh: :smuggrin: They were all REALLY big.:rolleyes:

And I'm thinking it's cos someone's big:laugh: (just kidding)

On physical exam - if you picture a 1 L IV bag - guesstimate how many Iv bags big the baby is and each bag is 1000 grams. Why are you needing to come up with this info on a clinical skills exam?

Estimating the correct weight range would probably give me 1 point (out of 10) for that station

BayAreaOB

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2004
Status (Visible)
For clinical EFW (on physical exam).
Think of a 5# bag of sugar. 1.5 bags width is about 7.5#, 2 bags about 9-10#. It takes a while to get good at this. As an intern, I did it this way for all my admits and then checked the actual birthweight and I got pretty good!

Good luck on you exams

ericdamiansean

High Profiler
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Passed!!

party0003.gif
party0019.gif

DoctorMom78

Sky Glory
10+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2006
Speedwell, TN
www.myspace.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
And I'm thinking it's cos someone's big:laugh: (just kidding)
:p

Congrats on passing the test!:clap: :hardy:

I am actually about average weight and have no history of gestational diabetes. I only gained about 15 pounds in each pregnancy and ended up leaving the hospital weighing less than before I got pregnant. :rolleyes: But, my second child was 10 lbs 5 oz (delivered one week past my due date). My third was 8 lbs 2 oz at 38 weeks exactly. My fourth was 8 lbs 3oz at 35 weeks and 6 days!!!!:eek: :eek: :scared: She would have been a record breaker I think!:smuggrin: I blame my husband! :laugh:

They are still big kids; not fat, but off the charts for their heights and 95% for their weights. They "estimated" my 10lb 5oz baby to be about 8 1/2 pounds. So, the point is that the "estimate" is really not so reliable in the real world because a lot of things influence fetal weight.

ericdamiansean

High Profiler
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]

I totally agree on that, if you're in obgyn long enough, you'll definately be seeing some grossly wrong estimates.

But delivering such big babies, hats off to you:thumbup:

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.