Fetal weight

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ericdamiansean

High Profiler
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can you estimate fetal weight by corresponding it to the gestational age? In case you're asked in an exam, and are supposed to give an educated guess

For eg, a 24 week old fetus would weight about 2200-2400g, a 36 week would weight about 3500g?

Members don't see this ad.

a 24 week fetus weighs closer to 500-700g. but yes, you can estimate "about how much a baby weighs" from the gestational age.

take a look at a pregnancy wheel, most have the corresponding weight in grams for the gestational age.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
There are tables that are regionally specific (we grow big babies here in San Antonio!) The only weight I would guess you might be asked would be a 500 gm weight because less than 500 gms is likely not to be a viable baby, so the pedi's won't rescuscitate them (ET tubes are too small to ventilate). That's at about 24 weeks, give or take a bit.

take a look at a pregnancy wheel, most have the corresponding weight in grams for the gestational age.

I wish I could drag a pregnancy wheel with me into my clinical skills exam, that and also the immunization schedule, growth charts, developmental milestones etc.. I'm only allowed to bring a measuring tape, pen torch, 2 rulers, and a tendon hammer..and this applies for all rotations.

Anyway, I've sort of made up a formula, doesn't work all the time though. For anything from 20-29 weeks, minus 18 and add 2 zeroes behind the figure you get ie if 28 weeks (28-18=10 "00" grams)
From 30-35, minus 12, so at 32 weeks it would be about 2000g
From 36 onwards, minus 6
I did notice that the decrements are in 6s ie 18, 12 and then 6

Do not quote me for any exams though:laugh:

LOL! Not if they are my monster babies!:laugh: :smuggrin: They were all REALLY big.:rolleyes:

On physical exam - if you picture a 1 L IV bag - guesstimate how many Iv bags big the baby is and each bag is 1000 grams. Why are you needing to come up with this info on a clinical skills exam?

LOL! Not if they are my monster babies!:laugh: :smuggrin: They were all REALLY big.:rolleyes:

And I'm thinking it's cos someone's big:laugh: (just kidding)

On physical exam - if you picture a 1 L IV bag - guesstimate how many Iv bags big the baby is and each bag is 1000 grams. Why are you needing to come up with this info on a clinical skills exam?

Estimating the correct weight range would probably give me 1 point (out of 10) for that station

For clinical EFW (on physical exam).
Think of a 5# bag of sugar. 1.5 bags width is about 7.5#, 2 bags about 9-10#. It takes a while to get good at this. As an intern, I did it this way for all my admits and then checked the actual birthweight and I got pretty good!

Good luck on you exams

Passed!!

party0003.gif
party0019.gif

And I'm thinking it's cos someone's big:laugh: (just kidding)
:p

Congrats on passing the test!:clap: :hardy:

I am actually about average weight and have no history of gestational diabetes. I only gained about 15 pounds in each pregnancy and ended up leaving the hospital weighing less than before I got pregnant. :rolleyes: But, my second child was 10 lbs 5 oz (delivered one week past my due date). My third was 8 lbs 2 oz at 38 weeks exactly. My fourth was 8 lbs 3oz at 35 weeks and 6 days!!!!:eek: :eek: :scared: She would have been a record breaker I think!:smuggrin: I blame my husband! :laugh:

They are still big kids; not fat, but off the charts for their heights and 95% for their weights. They "estimated" my 10lb 5oz baby to be about 8 1/2 pounds. So, the point is that the "estimate" is really not so reliable in the real world because a lot of things influence fetal weight.

I totally agree on that, if you're in obgyn long enough, you'll definately be seeing some grossly wrong estimates.

But delivering such big babies, hats off to you:thumbup: