Few Questions about Grad School Admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Endeavor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

First time poster, long time reader. I'm going to be a senior next year, plan to take a year off and apply during that year.

I have a few questions that I'm hoping someone can speak to.

First, I've known that I've wanted to go into clinical psychology since I was at least 15. Recently, however, I've narrowed down my interests, being more drawn to the movement of positive psychology. I believe I want to work more with average functioning patients to make them happier. I don't believe I want to work with any severely handicapped individuals. As such, does that lead me down the path more towards a PhD in counseling psychology instead of clinical? Are there clinical programs out there that perhaps lend themselves more towards working with fully functioning individuals?

Second, I took AP Statistics in high school and received a high enough score that my undergraduate institution let me go straight to Methods and skip stats. Is it necessary to take a class in statistics (I've taken calculus). I'm doing a senior thesis which might speak to my statistical competency - will this help at all?

Third, are there any specific courses that I must take in order to just apply besides the basics (stats, methods, abnormal personality etc.) - ie. would I be simply disqualified for never taken tests and measurements or history of psychology?

Fourth, what kind of score should I be shooting for on the psychology GRE? It was recommended to me that I just pick up an Intro to Psych book a week or so before the test and just read it - what are your thoughts on the time allowed and the method?

Additionally - how far in advance to people begin to study for the GRE and, again, what scores should I be aiming for to at least get me looked at?

Lastly, while I've been an RA in a lab on campus for 2 years, plan to write a thesis, and was an RA at MGH, I do not have any clinical exposure (I've taught English abroad, done the whole camp counselor thing). How necessary is this to my admission? Would just volunteering one a week for a month or two count as clinical exposure? It just seems all so contrived...

Thank you so much for reading this far if you have. If you can answer just a few of the questions I really would be most grateful.

Members don't see this ad.

First, I've known that I've wanted to go into clinical psychology since I was at least 15. Recently, however, I've narrowed down my interests, being more drawn to the movement of positive psychology. I believe I want to work more with average functioning patients to make them happier. I don't believe I want to work with any severely handicapped individuals. As such, does that lead me down the path more towards a PhD in counseling psychology instead of clinical? Are there clinical programs out there that perhaps lend themselves more towards working with fully functioning individuals?

Although I'm in a Counseling Psych PhD and may be baised, I'd say your interests align strongly with Counseling Psych. The difference might not be so much in the population you work with (you can be clinical and do a prac at a counseling center, or counseling and do a prac at a victims services unit or hospital), but rather in the training models. Positive psych, multiculturalism, and holistic conceptualizations are emphasized across Counseling Psych training.

Is it necessary to take a class in statistics (I've taken calculus). I'm doing a senior thesis which might speak to my statistical competency - will this help at all?
I wouldn't take another stats class if you don't need to; I might mention that stats AP class in the personal statement (pertaining to interest in research) so it's super clear that you've done it.

Third, are there any specific courses that I must take in order to just apply besides the basics (stats, methods, abnormal personality etc.) - ie. would I be simply disqualified for never taken tests and measurements or history of psychology?
The Insider's Guide has a table about this. I can't find mine, but my recollection is that the heavily demanded classes are things like stats, personality, abnormal (i.e. the things that are required of a psych major anyway).

Fourth, what kind of score should I be shooting for on the psychology GRE? It was recommended to me that I just pick up an Intro to Psych book a week or so before the test and just read it - what are your thoughts on the time allowed and the method?

Additionally - how far in advance to people begin to study for the GRE and, again, what scores should I be aiming for to at least get me looked at?
Lots of threads about this.

Lastly, while I've been an RA in a lab on campus for 2 years, plan to write a thesis, and was an RA at MGH, I do not have any clinical exposure (I've taught English abroad, done the whole camp counselor thing). How necessary is this to my admission? Would just volunteering one a week for a month or two count as clinical exposure? It just seems all so contrived...
People in my reearch-focused Counseling Psych PhD often get in without clinical experience. Really, it's real, solid research experience that seperates applicants, and the type of clinical work you might do as an undergrad is not comparable to the clinical work you'll be doing in a doc program anyhow.

Seconding the last thing. No one ever even mentioned my clinical experience during interviews. Research is far more important.

I actually never took a class on psychological testing. IIRC, applications tell you if there are classes you need to have taken. Even if you don't need it, though, I would recommend History because it REALLY helps you on the subject GRE.

Members don't see this ad :)
On the topic of clinical experience, is it a bad idea to briefly mention it in an SOP, as pertaining to research interests/foci?

Not at all bad-- It won't hurt as long as it's not your entire essay. At interviews last year, a couple of the more balanced schools even asked about the clinical work I'd mentioned in my SOP-- What had I learned from it, etc. I'd say it definitely deserves a sentence or two.