Few questions about shadowing and timing

Started by ar707
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ar707

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How much shadowing total is required?

Should I shadow one doctor for an extended period of time or many doctors from many different specialities for a shorter time?

Can shadowing be done in my home state, or would adcoms prefer I do it during the academic year?

Can I put stuff I do this upcoming Summer (between 12th grade and college) on my app?

Can I shadow an immediate family member or coworker of a close family member?

Does it matter when shadowing is done? As in, is it ok if I do it all within the next 2 summers or should it be spread out?
 
I've always heard that a few doctors for extended periods of time is best. Make sure you hit primary care, not just specialists. It doesn't matter where you do it, but I would shoot for mostly MD's if you are pursuing MD schools. Most people will tell you that there is not a specific hours requirement you should hit, but I would say that the 50+ range is most common.

Also I've never seen a clear answer on this, but I had significant shadowing hours from my sophomore year of high school and I listed those. Just make sure you have some throughout college as well.

Also no one will put 2-and-2 together that someone is an immediate family member, so it doesn't matter.
 
How much shadowing total is required?

Should I shadow one doctor for an extended period of time or many doctors from many different specialities for a shorter time?

Can shadowing be done in my home state, or would adcoms prefer I do it during the academic year?

Can I put stuff I do this upcoming Summer (between 12th grade and college) on my app?

Can I shadow an immediate family member or coworker of a close family member?

Does it matter when shadowing is done? As in, is it ok if I do it all within the next 2 summers or should it be spread out?

1. Enough to convince adcoms that you know what you're getting into. If you want numbers, 40 is generally sufficient and >80 is generally unnecessary

2. Doesn't matter

3. Doesn't matter

4. Sure, especially if its shadowing

5. Coworker is probably better

6. Doesn't matter