Few questions (Med-Peds)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trp2006

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I had a few questions which have been discussed in other residency forums here on SDN, but I haven't seen it discussed specifically for Med-Peds, so if any residents or someone with input would answer some of these, that would be really appreciated:

1) Which Med-Peds programs are 'cush'?
2) Which Med-Peds programs are 'malignant'?
3) What do you look for in a Med-Peds program?
4) Which programs have a 'lenient' call schedule?
5) For 4th year rotations, are there away rotations you can do for 'Med-Peds' specifically at a school you want to match?

Feel free to add more questions, but those are just some starting questions, that I had :D Thanks to anyone who will put in their time to answer some of these :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I had a few questions which have been discussed in other residency forums here on SDN, but I haven't seen it discussed specifically for Med-Peds, so if any residents or someone with input would answer some of these, that would be really appreciated:

5) For 4th year rotations, are there away rotations you can do for 'Med-Peds' specifically at a school you want to match?

Feel free to add more questions, but those are just some starting questions, that I had :D Thanks to anyone who will put in their time to answer some of these :)
I'm not at all sure you can get a meaningful answer to any of these except #3 and 5.

I know a lot of program directors and could not tell you the answers. Most resident only know the program they're at, and the 'happiness' scale at any one place varies from time to time. You might find someone with a story, but the next 10 people will not have had the same experience. I doubt any resident will tell you their program is "cush", as there is always more to do.

You should be able to find a list of places that offer a 'med-peds' rotation. I doubt this will provide you with more traction than doing well on an elective in either IM or Peds at the institution.

This is the only Med-Peds specific resource for what to look for: http://medpeds.org/archive/PDF/StudentGuide.pdf

Anyone interested in Med-Peds should visit medpeds.org.

j

I'm not at all sure you can get a meaningful answer to any of these except #3 and 5.

I know a lot of program directors and could not tell you the answers. Most resident only know the program they're at, and the 'happiness' scale at any one place varies from time to time. You might find someone with a story, but the next 10 people will not have had the same experience. I doubt any resident will tell you their program is "cush", as there is always more to do.

You should be able to find a list of places that offer a 'med-peds' rotation. I doubt this will provide you with more traction than doing well on an elective in either IM or Peds at the institution.

This is the only Med-Peds specific resource for what to look for: http://medpeds.org/archive/PDF/StudentGuide.pdf

Anyone interested in Med-Peds should visit medpeds.org.

j

Thank you for taking out the time to answer my questions, I appreciate it! I was hoping residents or someone in the know can share more about specifics about the Med-Peds programs that they are at. It is kind of hard to find any information about any Med-Peds programs, since not many people post here or elsewhere...

Members don't see this ad :)
These answers are specific only to my particular program (VCU/MCV in Richmond, Va) as that is all I really know

While I wouldn't exactly call our program "cush" I do feel like we have it pretty good overall. For both medicine and peds inpatient we have a night float system which rocks. Really ICU rotations are the only time we do overnight call, which is unavoidable at most institutions (though our Cardiac ICU does have night float 5 days/week). On ER rotations we do 14-15 12 hour shifts per 4 week cycle. We have a decent amount of out-pt and specialty rotations in which we get the weekends off. So I guess it could be better but it definitely could be far worse. Overall I think we have it pretty good.

Can't help a lot with that one. The only definite answer I can give you for this question is that ours is definitely not one of those.

I would say look for the best overall experience and balance between both medicine and pediatrics. Some places have a great medicine but not so great peds program and vice versa. I think our program is fairly well balanced and we have an incredible clinical experience with a very diverse patient population and some truly unusual and interesting pathology. Also look for places where you will be happy outside the hospital setting in addition to getting a good clinical experience.

I can't answer for other places but I think ours is fairly lenient. Again, as above, we have night float on both medicine (for MCV Hospital as well as the VA hospital) and on Peds for our inpatient rotations. We do overnight calls in the ICU's but as I understand it that is fairly unavoidable at most institutions. It'd be hard to find a place with less call than ours.

I don't know that we have a Med-Peds specific rotation at our institution but if you did a Medicine or Peds away rotation you would undoubtedly be in contact with several of the Med/Peds people on your rotation. In addition, any of us would be willing to set aside soem time to talk about the program and answer any questions. Our PD is very accessible as well and would definitely be willing to talk with you. It would be worth your while to do an away in either department in my opinion. We have a lot to be proud of here and if you saw it first hand I think you would be impressed.

You can PM me with any specific questions.

Thanks, VCU MediPedi! :thumbup: The above post was really helpful!