Few quick Questions a few weeks out...Phloston are you there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Transformers

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey a few quick questions as I get my review at First Aid again/doing a 2nd pass of UW

1.) Webpath- As I review systems, would it be futile to review the images going along each system with webpath or do you think that would help? Not sure how much visuals are getting more emphasized and if FA can suffice.

2.) Neuroanatomy- bigger concern...is FA + UW really enough? I used HY Neuroanatomy for my course and I gotta say its suprisingly dense....but more importantly, what chapters do you really recommend? Like for example, are the Neurotransmitters chapter or the Hypothalamus chapter even worthwhile (I feel like I got more out of the FA mnemonics using the Hypothalamus chapter). But I definitely see the value of the cross sections.

3.) Do you recommend going through Pathoma again? I've done it 2x and I have annotated it onto first aid such that FA has become my sole source...might be better perhaps to read it over again.

4.) Congrats to everyone who got their scores back...I was wondering if you had any strategies on approaching these longer questions with extraneous labs...is time truly an issue? Do you get short stems like you do in UW? Do you recommend reading the questions first? One tidbit that I'm starting to consider is hey if the question is uber hard just mark it and move-on (possibly an experimental question)

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey a few quick questions as I get my review at First Aid again/doing a 2nd pass of UW

1.) Webpath- As I review systems, would it be futile to review the images going along each system with webpath or do you think that would help? Not sure how much visuals are getting more emphasized and if FA can suffice.

2.) Neuroanatomy- bigger concern...is FA + UW really enough? I used HY Neuroanatomy for my course and I gotta say its suprisingly dense....but more importantly, what chapters do you really recommend? Like for example, are the Neurotransmitters chapter or the Hypothalamus chapter even worthwhile (I feel like I got more out of the FA mnemonics using the Hypothalamus chapter). But I definitely see the value of the cross sections.

3.) Do you recommend going through Pathoma again? I've done it 2x and I have annotated it onto first aid such that FA has become my sole source...might be better perhaps to read it over again.

4.) Congrats to everyone who got their scores back...I was wondering if you had any strategies on approaching these longer questions with extraneous labs...is time truly an issue? Do you get short stems like you do in UW? Do you recommend reading the questions first? One tidbit that I'm starting to consider is hey if the question is uber hard just mark it and move-on (possibly an experimental question)

Thanks

1) Images are not a tremendous part of Step1. If they show you images, they'll either be pretty HY and in FA, entirely WTF (can't prepare for them), or deducible through intuition. Only focus on visual stuff if you feel weak in a particular area.

2) I recommend the neuro-only sections of Kaplan anatomy lecture notes. Look at the brainstem transverse cross-sections that they have in there.

3) I never looked at Pathoma during my prep. I've heard that it's becoming increasingly popular, but I can't comment. I used BRS Path, University of Utah Webpath and just lots of QBank Qs.

4) For long questions, read the last sentence first, then quickly spend a few seconds hopping around the paragraph looking for lab values / buzz words (total of 4-5 seconds doing all of that), then start reading the question from the beginning.

If you've been doing Pathoma, definitely read Pathoma again - pathology concepts become increasingly intuitive with each pass through.

Remember, experimental questions are not necessarily difficult. Even easy questions have to go through an experimental phase. So it's not always the best idea to completely skip a question because you might run out of time at the end of a section. Always try to make a best guess before moving on.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think WebPath is worth going through if you want a great score. I felt like I had a lot of general WTF questions on my exam but zero WTF images because WebPath prepared me really well. And FA only has super high yield stuff for images (with poor explanations to boot).
Pathoma I think is overrated. If you've gone through FA + Goljan's RR and understood pathophys in med school it doesn't add much. Again it's useful if you're aiming for 220-240 but not above that.

I think WebPath is worth going through if you want a great score. I felt like I had a lot of general WTF questions on my exam but zero WTF images because WebPath prepared me really well. And FA only has super high yield stuff for images (with poor explanations to boot).
Pathoma I think is overrated. If you've gone through FA + Goljan's RR and understood pathophys in med school it doesn't add much. Again it's useful if you're aiming for 220-240 but not above that.

Which sections of webpath did you do? All of them? I've just gone through their neuro stuff. Running out of prep time (could, but not going to move my date), and I had wanted to do it, but I'm thinking I'll just have time to hit renal webpath

As far as pathoma, I'll offer a dissenting view. My last 5 practice tests (3 NBME's, 2 UWSA's) have averaged a 261, and I haven't touched Goljan RR or audio, currently making my last (5th) pass through pathoma, and I still feel like it's time well spent

By pathoma, what I have done is annotated my the stuff onto first aid rather beautifally in first aid so I have one book. So by going through pathoma, what I really mean is should I watch the videos again or will reading suffice?

Which sections of webpath did you do? All of them? I've just gone through their neuro stuff. Running out of prep time (could, but not going to move my date), and I had wanted to do it, but I'm thinking I'll just have time to hit renal webpath

As far as pathoma, I'll offer a dissenting view. My last 5 practice tests (3 NBME's, 2 UWSA's) have averaged a 261, and I haven't touched Goljan RR or audio, currently making my last (5th) pass through pathoma, and I still feel like it's time well spent

When is your exam?

Phlostom what do you recommend at this point? Im going through my second pass of Uworld (90%) timed random and definitely picking up on stuff...the questions i do get wrong are usully the ones under like 35% of users who got it wrong so relatively low yield stuff

I agree FA neuro is not enough so ill prob be using especially the HY brainstem sections and angiograms for Neuro but im curious about webpath or any other sources esp if gross images or
Histo is there but I doubt theyll be simply one liners right like in uworld and youd get some buzzword identifiers correct?

Thanks

I did go through all of the systems stuff. Maybe your school had more of a focus than mine. According to my score report path was my best section (though it overlapped with pretty much everything else) so it definitely worked for me.

Either way with your practice test average you should be more than fine.

With the histo it would take a couple of days to go through it. If you're short on time go through high yield stuff and skim everything else.
On the actual test they could give a stupid one liner like "person has a mass in his appendix here's a picture" and if you've seen carcinoid tumor histology (round uniform cells) you'll be able to answer it instantly. They might give you a little extra info or they might not.

I did go through all of the systems stuff. Maybe your school had more of a focus than mine. According to my score report path was my best section (though it overlapped with pretty much everything else) so it definitely worked for me.

Either way with your practice test average you should be more than fine.

With the histo it would take a couple of days to go through it. If you're short on time go through high yield stuff and skim everything else.
On the actual test they could give a stupid one liner like "person has a mass in his appendix here's a picture" and if you've seen carcinoid tumor histology (round uniform cells) you'll be able to answer it instantly. They might give you a little extra info or they might not.

:laugh: Noooooooo, our curriculum was huuuuuuge on minutiae. Pathoma would not net you a passing grade (but it does form a good conceptual framework to build other information on). I'm strictly referring to step when I say pathoma is plenty (although I can't compare to rapid review, and I'm also coming from the background of having done well in classes, so I have that framework to fall back on).

Thanks for the info. I'm definitely not going to have time to do it all. I'm solid at most HY histo, but miscellaneous stuff like adrenal cortex histo can get me. I think I'm going to try to hit the renal histo and neuro slices