Fidgeters and Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samac

Rojo extraordinaire, gave away my tinfoil to PSV
7+ Year Member
Contest Winner!
Reaction score
Ok. This is probably a super dumb question, but I gotta ask.
I’m a fidgeter. I find it virtually impossible to stand still without shifting my weight, moving my hands around, or doing something, I just can’t stay still. I was described as the kid with “ants in my pants”.

I’ve survived all my other rotations, and OB was super difficult for this issue, and I just had surgery once a week.

I’m starting my 2 months of surgery next week and I was wondering if other fidgeters who’ve made it through can give me tips on how to be still, hold retractors, and just generally not fidget?

Members don't see this ad.

I’m a fidgeter. I find it virtually impossible to stand still without shifting my weight, moving my hands around, or doing something, I just can’t stay still. I was described as the kid with “ants in my pants”.

I’ve survived all my other rotations, and OB was super difficult for this issue, and I just had surgery once a week.

I’m starting my 2 months of surgery next week and I was wondering if other fidgeters who’ve made it through can give me tips on how to be still, hold retractors, and just generally not fidget?
I'm the same way, but a good 2 years from rotations. Whenever I shadowed, and wasn't allowed to do much other than stand still, so I would silently tap feet/wiggle toes/chew on my cheek. If the surgeon is comfortable with it, and you're able, sneak in some conversation. It might sound weird but you can make bubbles in your mouth too. All these things are good distractors.

As someone who matched surgery and has a horrible oral fixation and fidgeting and adhd blah blah blah (and apparently crippling anxiety as diagnosed by my SO) its easier than you think. Shifting your weight while not moving the retractor is not as difficult as it sounds. Also you’ll often have two or three things in your hands which will keep you busy and from fidgeting becaus you’ll be fidgeting with those for three hours. Either with suction, clamps, sponges, pads etc., the only time your fighting might get bad is in case where the field is too small for you to really do anything. In those cases you’re probably not doing anything too important in the field so shift away!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I stupidly read this thread title as "fidget spinners and surgery".

I'm sorely disappointed in this thread.

I'll see myself out.

Reactions: 3 users
I stupidly read this thread title as "fidget spinners and surgery".

I'm sorely disappointed in this thread.

I'll see myself out.

My fidget spinner is a Kelly.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm the same way, but a good 2 years from rotations. Whenever I shadowed, and wasn't allowed to do much other than stand still, so I would silently tap feet/wiggle toes/chew on my cheek. If the surgeon is comfortable with it, and you're able, sneak in some conversation. It might sound weird but you can make bubbles in your mouth too. All these things are good distractors.

This is what got me through. I’m insanely fidgety, so in the OR, shifting my weight and stretching muscles not involved in whatever task I was involved in at the moment got me through.

just learn to keep your hands where you know and don't screw up when you're holding retractors.

just learn to keep your hands where you know and don't screw up when you're holding retractors.
I mean that’s kind of my problem that I’m trying to fix here by asking. I don’t want to screw up but I know it’s a struggle for me. Figured other people had struggled too so I asked :)

I mean that’s kind of my problem that I’m trying to fix here by asking. I don’t want to screw up but I know it’s a struggle for me. Figured other people had struggled too so I asked :)

Generally the key is to compensate. And I say this in terms of the OR and the rest of your rotations...
But more seriously, just try to notice when you're moving and use the other muscles to kind of balance yourself.

I'm a fidgeter as well and I think the farther along you get the more you just learn to deal with it. I'm not a surgeon but I am in a very procedurally heavy field and I think it's different when you're actually the one doing the procedure vs a student just standing there watching or holding a retractor. Once you start doing more in the OR I don't think it's a huge issue.