Fight For The Profession: Tres, By Jet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
nitecap said:
We all got a great glimpse of the effectiveness of AA after Katrina. Dont think it works. Hey either you are a hard worker and willing to bust assess, or you arent. AA cant change someones work ethic and drive and thats the freaking problem.

These days anyone can go to college no matter how poor you are as long as you are willing to put in the time and effort. There are so many government grants to educate the poor its not even funny. Hey you cant put a gun to someones head and say study and work, and get off your butt and withdrawl your hand and quit relying on every handout and free ride and back door possible.

Went to New Orleans last week to vistit some of my peeps. There are so many jobs there its not even funny. And not just jobs cleaning up. Mgmt jobs and stores, sales jobs, surveyors, construction. Thats one of the main problems, there are no workers. At the same time all those people that were way below the poverty level with no job before and chillen in Houston, living off of FEMA, not working, just enjoying the free ride as usual. Then at the same time you have the Hispanic influx there arriving, who are hard assssss workers, and are there to make a buck for their family. And the displace locals and locals that are there chillen raising hell for letting the hispanics work. Hey whos going to rebuild the city, not the ones relying on that free ride thats for sure.

So AA you say, doesnt matter your race, color, sex if you are a hard worker you will be recognized and rewarded, If not you wont get shiznit just like you deserve.

Very, very nice post.

Members don't see this ad.

nitecap said:
Went to New Orleans last week to vistit some of my peeps. There are so many jobs there its not even funny. And not just jobs cleaning up. Mgmt jobs and stores, sales jobs, surveyors, construction. Thats one of the main problems, there are no workers. At the same time all those people that were way below the poverty level with no job before and chillen in Houston, living off of FEMA, not working, just enjoying the free ride as usual. Then at the same time you have the Hispanic influx there arriving, who are hard assssss workers, and are there to make a buck for their family. And the displace locals and locals that are there chillen raising hell for letting the hispanics work. Hey whos going to rebuild the city, not the ones relying on that free ride thats for sure.

Passed through NO a month ago, found some petro for the DC Tacoma and sat down at the gas station to find out how to get to Port Fourchon to catch some yellowfin...Advertisement at the GAS STATION was offering a $6K sign on bonus....Damn yo, 6K sign-on to ring up Hubba Bubba and gasoline...

rn29306 said:
Passed through NO a month ago, found some petro for the DC Tacoma and sat down at the gas station to find out how to get to Port Fourchon to catch some yellowfin...Advertisement at the GAS STATION was offering a $6K sign on bonus....Damn yo, 6K sign-on to ring up Hubba Bubba and gasoline...

really? why cant they find anybody?

Members don't see this ad :)
davvid2700 said:
really? why cant they find anybody?

Most people who worked at lower paying jobs lived in the areas that were dessimated...so they are displaced with nothing to come back to.

So all those people who served your Egg McMuffin, washed dishes, waited tabled, etc arent here anymore.

Burger King, yes BURGER KING, is offering a 6K bonus and 10 bucks an hour to sign on full time for one year.

If you are here in New Orleans, and you dont have a job, you are a lazy a ss.

Additionally, the media's depiction of the city is skewed for "the best story".

If you read a non-New Orleans paper, or watch Fox news, they make the city appear desolate. It is not. The traffic in Metairie, where I live, a suburb of New Orleans-proper, is back to normal. We just got back from Bravo, an Italian restaurant on Veterans Blvd, was packed.

Yes, there are desolate, dessimated areas. New Orleans East. Gentilly. Lakeview.

Most of the other areas are bustling with activity.

Because everyone evacuated either pre or post storm. Let me rephrase most people that arent lazy and do for themselves got the hell out or at least had a plan while Those that rely on Government and your tax dollars to do everything for them had no plan and got stuck, but then got out.

Why cant they bring them back since their is such a need for workers. There is no place to live. 100 thousand houses totalled, FEMA stalling on trailers and temp housing, tons of red tape to cross. Shoot the workers there now though making pretty good money are toughing it out in tents and campers while the Red cross hooks them up with free food. There are bus trips from BR to NOLA for day workers but not sure how long Big Brother is going to supply that.

Anyway the ones that are out there toughing it out are making money. I too saw an add 7K sign on bonus for assistant manager at a local MicKy D's. I was like 7g's for micky D's only for a 1 year commitment.

All I know is If I was poor, and living off the government since I was born, and I have 5 kids one pregnant and Im living in Houston for free. I think Im going to go to New Orleans, leave my Family in Houston, and take my lazy sons if out of school, and Im going to work 70 plus hours a week while the money is good and Im going to try to make a come up. Shiiitttt they are paying 12 dollars an hour to a dishwasher in the french quater, thats a 100% increase in salary pre storm.

So they have had politicians try to bring NOLA evacuees back, Jesse Jackson chartered 10 grey hounds screaming we are giving all these jobs that NOLA peeps need to Mexicans. They started in NYC thru 5 cities and Houston and could only bring a total of 200 people and of that only about 70 were really from NOLA, the rest just looking for work and hopped aboard. Those people are living it up right now, FEMA paying for everything except new and better Levees to protect there property, free rent at plush Htown apts for at least a year, they even furnsihed all the cribs. None working and all pretty much able. All wanting sympathy. These comments of course do not include the elderly and disable who truly didnt have the means to get out. All the rest, anyone not old and disable could have gotten out if they really wanted to.

America saw what they saw that week of Katrina due to the affirmative action mind set of give give give because of what our ancestors did. Hey they messed up but giving everything to minorities on a silver platter to get them to shut up about it isnt going to help them nor the country in the future. It only increases their reliance on the government and decreases their will to do anything for themselves and at least attempt to make a come up. Hey if someome gave me eveything it would be tempting to just do nothing but chilll all day.

militarymd said:
The pregnant gal who wants to breast feed....

1) need time off....less time a work
2) need time to pump breast.. less time at work
3) will likely need time to take kids to doctor etc....less time at work.

So, by definition, they are less able to work....at least if you're looking a availability....
And what about people of certain religions who have to take a day off every week?

davvid2700 said:
yes you discriminate when hiring. You discriminate based on abilities and ability to do the job, period. If you factor anything else in you are not the clearest thinking individual. I dont see how sex, race, board scores, personality(within reason) has anything to do with how you perform your duties.
You say this in one post, but then you promote AA in another. They way you describe AA makes it sound racist, but here you say race should not be a factor. Huh?

nitecap said:
Because everyone evacuated either pre or post storm. Let me rephrase most people that arent lazy and do for themselves got the hell out or at least had a plan while Those that rely on Government and your tax dollars to do everything for them had no plan and got stuck, but then got out.

Why cant they bring them back since their is such a need for workers. There is no place to live. 100 thousand houses totalled, FEMA stalling on trailers and temp housing, tons of red tape to cross. Shoot the workers there now though making pretty good money are toughing it out in tents and campers while the Red cross hooks them up with free food. There are bus trips from BR to NOLA for day workers but not sure how long Big Brother is going to supply that.

Anyway the ones that are out there toughing it out are making money. I too saw an add 7K sign on bonus for assistant manager at a local MicKy D's. I was like 7g's for micky D's only for a 1 year commitment.

All I know is If I was poor, and living off the government since I was born, and I have 5 kids one pregnant and Im living in Houston for free. I think Im going to go to New Orleans, leave my Family in Houston, and take my lazy sons if out of school, and Im going to work 70 plus hours a week while the money is good and Im going to try to make a come up. Shiiitttt they are paying 12 dollars an hour to a dishwasher in the french quater, thats a 100% increase in salary pre storm.

So they have had politicians try to bring NOLA evacuees back, Jesse Jackson chartered 10 grey hounds screaming we are giving all these jobs that NOLA peeps need to Mexicans. They started in NYC thru 5 cities and Houston and could only bring a total of 200 people and of that only about 70 were really from NOLA, the rest just looking for work and hopped aboard. Those people are living it up right now, FEMA paying for everything except new and better Levees to protect there property, free rent at plush Htown apts for at least a year, they even furnsihed all the cribs. None working and all pretty much able. All wanting sympathy. These comments of course do not include the elderly and disable who truly didnt have the means to get out. All the rest, anyone not old and disable could have gotten out if they really wanted to.

America saw what they saw that week of Katrina due to the affirmative action mind set of give give give because of what our ancestors did. Hey they messed up but giving everything to minorities on a silver platter to get them to shut up about it isnt going to help them nor the country in the future. It only increases their reliance on the government and decreases their will to do anything for themselves and at least attempt to make a come up. Hey if someome gave me eveything it would be tempting to just do nothing but chilll all day.

Nitecap, your posts continue with insight.

And, I'm gonna speak with MilMDs "calling a spade a spade" style.

This city will be better off without the random-violence.

I no longer feel some clandestine threat when I pull up to my hospital at 1am...I have limosine tint on all my windows on my Yukon XL for a reason...yeah, its illegal, but it prevents homie-walkin'-down-the-street from being able to get a head-shot on me.

Since the storm, there have been (approx) 2 murders in the city....both domestic related.

All the robberies, rapes, innocent-bystanders-shot-by-gangsta-fire, waitresses getting out of a cab at 2am to go to their apartment and getting robbed/murdered, etc,

IS GONE.

Pre Katrina we were second (i think) in murder rate.

We've fallen off the map with that statistic.

Katrina has made this a safer city.

nitecap said:

What does affirmative action have to do with government assistance?

You are confusing 2 seperate entities.

yes i agree it was an "ugly" "ugly" site post katrina seeing all those people stranded and noticing that a great majority of them were black americans,but i dont think i would make a blanket sociological statement that can be used to explain that. (like they all are lazy and they didnt wanna get out becuase they were relying on government to help them). I think New Orleans is a predominantly african american city ( at least in the city) am i wrong? and a lot of them are teetering financially. So I suppose its hard to pick up and leave a place when you are living paycheck to paycheck. and when you have only like 150 dollars in the bank. where are you gonna go? with 150 dollars? so i can understand if some of them said well we'll take our chances. They gambled and lost. And you saw the aftermath of that. I dont think your response is the most fair asssessment of the situation. Affirmative action has nothing to do with the plight of new orleans at all. ANd I dont believe race is taken into consideration when doling out government money.

jetproppilot said:
Most people who worked at lower paying jobs lived in the areas that were dessimated...so they are displaced with nothing to come back to.

So all those people who served your Egg McMuffin, washed dishes, waited tabled, etc arent here anymore.

Burger King, yes BURGER KING, is offering a 6K bonus and 10 bucks an hour to sign on full time for one year.

If you are here in New Orleans, and you dont have a job, you are a lazy a ss.

Additionally, the media's depiction of the city is skewed for "the best story".

If you read a non-New Orleans paper, or watch Fox news, they make the city appear desolate. It is not. The traffic in Metairie, where I live, a suburb of New Orleans-proper, is back to normal. We just got back from Bravo, an Italian restaurant on Veterans Blvd, was packed.

Yes, there are desolate, dessimated areas. New Orleans East. Gentilly. Lakeview.

Most of the other areas are bustling with activity.

Just reread my post and dont want to skew your vision of this place...I said my area was "back to normal"...sorry...mistake...it is not back to normal.

What I meant to say is that it is populated, the traffic/people are back, businesses are reopening all over the place, reconstruction, cleanup, etc.

Wouldve been better to say it is full of activity, and not desolate, like the news suggests.

toofache32 said:
You say this in one post, but then you promote AA in another. They way you describe AA makes it sound racist, but here you say race should not be a factor. Huh?

at that point i was discussing "hiring" within a private group and not a public government funded facility.

toofache32 said:
And what about people of certain religions who have to take a day off every week?

I'm catholic, and go to mass every Sunday...except when I'm on call. I dont miss work because of the "holy-day".

What makes the person who "needs" a day off every week for religious purposes more important than my faith?

Gimme a break.

I think God would be more pissed off at me for missing work, where I help make sick people better.

jetproppilot said:
I'm catholic, and go to mass every Sunday...except when I'm on call. I dont miss work because of the "holy-day".

What makes the person who "needs" a day off every week for religious purposes more important than my faith?

Gimme a break.

I think God would be more pissed off at me for missing work, where I help make sick people better.
That's my point. Some people use it as a wonderfully convenient way to get off work without "penalty".

Members don't see this ad :)
davvid2700 said:
.... BUt someone has to pay for our ancestors( my ancestors) who 100 years ago enslaved people, lynched innocent black people, treated women like property( didnt allow them to vote), threw the native americans off their own land.... SO if a black or native american gets a break by getting into a school by having maybe a B plus average vs an A so be it. Just a small price we have to pay for the heinous things that went on long ago.
You gotta be kidding me. What kind of twisted back-woods thinking is this? I didn't realize any educated people really thought this way. Why are you still hung up on something that happened over 100 years ago? How is that relevant to people today?

My troll-o-meter is starting to rumble.

davvid2700 said:
at that point i was discussing "hiring" within a private group and not a public government funded facility.
So racism is OK as long as the taxpayers don't support it?

toofache32 said:

OK, I'm biting here, and I shouldnt.

I think the point is public institutions are ensnarled with red tape, minority quotas, etc etc. Gotta white dude thats best for the job? Sorry. Gotta meet the quota. Cant hire you. Private practices can pick WHO THEY WANT, in an unrestricted fashion. If you view that as racial, then maybe you're looking for something you dont deserve.

Reverse discrimination at its best. Which DOES happen. Sorry to speak about the unspeakable.

As Mil has said, the programs created to "level" the playing field dont work.

Slavery has been over for a million years. The asians being sequestered in camps after WW 2...man, our country has made some major mistakes.

But in 2005, I dont think caucasians should be passed over because of "quota" problems.

There it is. I said it.

By the way, I've got three hand-picked partners. One white, one black, and one jewish.

My jewish partner is being forced to move to Dallas against his will by his boss..he is not happy about it.

So I picked the best person to replace him.

His replacement is from India.

He was a better pick than all the crakkas I interviewed.

I picked the best person for the job, independent of race/religion/sexual preference.

That being said, reverse discrimination is rampant. And its just as wrong as discrimination. Yeah, they're both the same entity, and they're both wrong.

This is 2005. Lets pick the best person.

jetproppilot said:
OK, I'm biting here, and I shouldnt.

My jewish partner is being forced to move to Dallas against his will by his boss..he is not happy about it.

t person.

DOES THIS MEAN HIS WIFE OR HIS MOTHER-IN -LAW

jetproppilot said:
Since the storm, there have been (approx) 2 murders in the city....both domestic related.

All the robberies, rapes, innocent-bystanders-shot-by-gangsta-fire, waitresses getting out of a cab at 2am to go to their apartment and getting robbed/murdered, etc,

IS GONE.

Pre Katrina we were second (i think) in murder rate.

We've fallen off the map with that statistic.

Katrina has made this a safer city.

Sentiments echoed by our boat captain that weekend while cruising in 1200 ft water. While not exactly PC to state it, but man do I feel sorry for Houston for getting these displaced persons. We had 6 Chinooks (sp?) to land in TN, all full of the displaced of Katrina. Already had 2 shootings at the Red Cross centers over paychecks....not that they earned them or anything, these were freebie checks.
The CDC stated that, from an epidemiological standpoint, the evac would impact states, that accepted these displaced persons.

jetproppilot said:
That being said, reverse discrimination is rampant. And its just as wrong as discrimination. Yeah, they're both the same entity, and they're both wrong.

This is 2005. Lets pick the best person.
I couldn't have said it better myself.

toofache32 said:

MY troll meter is revving up!!!

toofache32 said:

No racism is never OK charlie. BUt the government really cannot control what you do as a private entity . You hire whoever the bump you wanna hire as long as they are not subsidizing you

I think i mentioned in a previous post as a private entity if there is Proof (difficult to do) that you have denied someone a job based on race you can be in some deep doodoo. For example, if you tell your friend on the phone and you tell him you did not hire a certain person because he or she is black and the phone conversation is tapped that info can be used against you and suit be brought against you by the person and then any labor lawyer can have a field day on your ass. Just the government cannot control who you hire..

nitecap said:
We all got a great glimpse of the effectiveness of AA after Katrina. Dont think it works. Hey either you are a hard worker and willing to bust assess, or you arent. AA cant change someones work ethic and drive and thats the freaking problem.

These days anyone can go to college no matter how poor you are as long as you are willing to put in the time and effort. There are so many government grants to educate the poor its not even funny. Hey you cant put a gun to someones head and say study and work, and get off your butt and withdrawl your hand and quit relying on every handout and free ride and back door possible.

So AA you say, doesnt matter your race, color, sex if you are a hard worker you will be recognized and rewarded, If not you wont get shiznit just like you deserve.

:thumbup:

toofache32 said:
You gotta be kidding me. What kind of twisted back-woods thinking is this? I didn't realize any educated people really thought this way. Why are you still hung up on something that happened over 100 years ago? How is that relevant to people today?

My troll-o-meter is starting to rumble.

umm how is it relevant? I think the poverty, the crime, the ghetto culture, the reason why jet is scared shiitless everytime he goes to the hospital, the distrust for "the man": and many things that plague the african american community is almost all directly related to enslaving them for hundreds of years.

davvid2700 said:
umm how is it relevant? I think the poverty, the crime, the ghetto culture, the reason why jet is scared shiitless everytime he goes to the hospital, the distrust for "the man": and many things that plague the african american community is almost all directly related to enslaving them for hundreds of years.

David, I feel ya here, bro. But I think you are off the mark on this one.

The past is the past. At some point we've gotta look forward, otherwise the past is used as an excuse....and inequality perpetuates.

OK, I'm gonna shed some personal s hit thats probably a little too much, but hey, this is a quasi-anonymous forum, and I think the story is relevant .

VERY IMPORTANT POINT: Since when does poverty give one the right to become immoral? Since when is poverty an excuse for violence?

My parents divorced when I was nine. My dad was a TWA airline pilot. Very prestigious, well paying job back in 1973 when my parents divorced.

Back then, if you didnt pay alimony/child support, well, nobody really cared. Unlike today, where a potential jail sentence awaits you if you refuse to make child support payments.

Needless to say, I grew up with my mom.....who worked as a secretary to support my sister and I....my dad, yes, I loved him, because, well, he was my dad. But he wasnt a good father. I ate more f ukking pot roast in a crock pot than a kid should have to EVER eat.....geez, my dad didnt hold up his side of the RESPONSIBILITY bargain.

He was too busy boinking the flight attendants.

While my sister and I ate pot roast cooked by his ex wife (my mom).

I hold no grudges. He is dead now.

SO WHY IS JET EXPOSING THIS WEIRD, PERSONAL S HIT?

To show that being poor doesnt have to lead to crime/crack-rok sale/rape/murder.

My dad essentially abandoned my sister and I. My mom did what she could do.

She cooked alot of f ukking pot roast. :(

I lived in Florida for a period of time without air-conditioning.

I never raped/robbed/murdered/shot at Katrina rescue choppers.

BOTTOM LINE?

Everyone plays the poverty card to explain violence issues.

I call bull s h i t on that.

I grew up one hundred miles from the silver spoon.

Today I've got an MD degree, plenty of C notes, a wife/kids that love me, and a future.

I grew up in the trailer park.

And I'm Chief of a department now.

Lets lose the "minority" excuses.

For all you social scientists, it all goes back to genetics. On almost all IQ tests why do blacks and hispanics score lower than whites, and asians and jewish people score higher than whites? For years, the government has grappled with solutions to combat this problem--- none of them have worked. Busing kids around to different schools, affirmative action, throwing wads of cash at these people, "dumbing down" the school curriculum, million man marches with media heavyweights and their empowerment speeches, etc,ect. ---all abject failures. Most of your "ills" in society are caused by this IQ "problem"-- crime, poverty, health care, illiteracy, single parent families, illicit drug usage and the list goes on... Regards, ---Zip

zippy2u said:
For all you social scientists, it all goes back to genetics. On almost all IQ tests why do blacks and hispanics score lower than whites, and asians and jewish people score higher than whites? For years, the government has grappled with solutions to combat this problem--- none of them have worked. Busing kids around to different schools, affirmative action, throwing wads of cash at these people, "dumbing down" the school curriculum, million man marches with media heavyweights and their empowerment speeches, etc,ect. ---all abject failures. Most of your "ills" in society are caused by this IQ "problem"-- crime, poverty, health care, illiteracy, single parent families, illicit drug usage and the list goes on... Regards, ---Zip

Oh My God,
Hey Zip, you said that out loud....in case you weren't sure.

Why dance around the problem. I'm not politically correct and never will be. I call a spade a spade and let the chips fall where they may. By the way, any form of religion or cult will not solve the IQ problem so don't even go there.

davvid2700 said:
... and many things that plague the african american community is almost all directly related to enslaving them for hundreds of years.
I don't see the correlation. So did all the poor-white-trash citizens have ancestors who were slaves also? What about the poor hispanics? And do affluent african-americans not have enslaved ancestors?

toofache32 said:
I don't see the correlation. So did all the poor-white-trash citizens have ancestors who were slaves also? What about the poor hispanics?

Umm geez, i dont know. My guess is if you enslave a people for 150 years not allowing them to pursue an education or a way to improve themselves or basic healthcare I would guess that would affect the way they perform and behave in the future. My guess only I dont have the exact figures.. That may be a correlation for you.

zippy2u said:

It is good that you are at least open about this and speak your mind. I respect that.
Needless to say, I find your opinion despicable, and wrong.
That is my opinion.
I am black and proud of it and I do not believe I am any less smart because I am black.
There are people out there who are 'smarter' than me, they come in all races; white, black, Asian, Hispanic, etc.
There are people out there who are 'less smart' than I am; they come in all races; white, black, Asian, Hispanic etc.
Living is all about choice; if you want to work hard and achieve at something, this country gives you the opportunity to do that.
If you want to be a bum and take advantage of the system, you can do that.
At the end of the day, we all make a choice whether we 'live' or 'exist'.
Racism and prejudice will never end.
White on black
Black on white etc. etc.
Personally, I am more comfortable with the person who states clearly if he/she is judging me based on the color of my skin.
Ultimately, it is all about choice, about not denying someone an opportunity because of the color of their skin, whether black or white or yellow etc.
Enough Said.
SDN is a wonderful forum, I have learned tons here. Let us not make it a place where people feel uncomfortable and judged based on skin color.
There has been a lot of negative energy going through this forum, why don't we cool it down and concentrate on being the best anesthesiologists, and persons we can be.
Please.

But Kifaru, why as a black person do you have a higher IQ than the mean IQs of your black racial peers? Why does Military MD have a higher IQ than the mean IQ of the white race? Why is the Jewish race generally regarded as "successful" despite years and years of persecution over many centuries? Perhaps the most important discovery that has happened in a long long time has been the deciphering of the human genome of the homo sapien. From this discovery, the above questions will be answered. Soon you will see the scientists gathering their picks and axes and opening tombs of the few hundred people that made definite impacts on mankind. What part of the human genome is responsible for intelligence? How is my genetic sequence for intelligence different than Isaac Newton's? Only science will solve society's "ills" --not any governmental policy or religion. Regards,- ---Zip

kifaru said:
It is good that you are at least open about this and speak your mind. I respect that.
Needless to say, I find your opinion despicable, and wrong.
That is my opinion.
I am black and proud of it and I do not believe I am any less smart because I am black.
There are people out there who are 'smarter' than me, they come in all races; white, black, Asian, Hispanic, etc.
There are people out there who are 'less smart' than I am; they come in all races; white, black, Asian, Hispanic etc.
Living is all about choice; if you want to work hard and achieve at something, this country gives you the opportunity to do that.
If you want to be a bum and take advantage of the system, you can do that.
At the end of the day, we all make a choice whether we 'live' or 'exist'.
Racism and prejudice will never end.
White on black
Black on white etc. etc.
Personally, I am more comfortable with the person who states clearly if he/she is judging me based on the color of my skin.
Ultimately, it is all about choice, about not denying someone an opportunity because of the color of their skin, whether black or white or yellow etc.
Enough Said.
SDN is a wonderful forum, I have learned tons here. Let us not make it a place where people feel uncomfortable and judged based on skin color.
There has been a lot of negative energy going through this forum, why don't we cool it down and concentrate on being the best anesthesiologists, and persons we can be.
Please.

I think you are right on the money. It is all about choices.

One small observation I have made is that blacks that immigrate from africa or other parts of the world seem to be less worried about what others think and often are successful in the professional arena. I spent some time visiting IV league med schools and almost always the black students were immigrants from africa and the caribbean. Rarely did I encounter american blacks. I found that intriguing.

Oh, sort of like "choosing" to be a homosexual vs. heterosexual kind of thing. Again, genomic studies will reveal the sequence(s) responsible for sexuality. ---Zip

davvid2700 said:
Umm geez, i dont know. My guess is if you enslave a people for 150 years not allowing them to pursue an education or a way to improve themselves or basic healthcare I would guess that would affect the way they perform and behave in the future. My guess only I dont have the exact figures.. That may be a correlation for you.
Umm geez, cause and effect are difficult to demonstrate. Just because my cold went away when I took antibiotics doesn't mean it wasn't viral and wouldn't have gotten better on its own. You still haven't accounted for all the other non-black people of lower socio-economic status who weren't slaves. I'm not saying your theory is incorrect, I'm just try to understand the evidence supporting this.

toofache32 said:
Umm geez, cause and effect are difficult to demonstrate. Just because my cold went away when I took antibiotics doesn't mean it wasn't viral and wouldn't have gotten better on its own. You still haven't accounted for all the other non-black people of lower socio-economic status who weren't slaves. I'm not saying your theory is incorrect, I'm just try to understand the evidence supporting this.

umm geeez, you are getting into some serious sociology. being of the lower socioeconomic class generally means you are less educated(not always) , less refined, less skilled, etc. The "african americans" are this way because of 150 years of being enslaved. the whole slave trade and everything. Not all cases of course. Some choose this way of life and some totally just immerse themselves in this self pity that wont get them anywhere. But the crux of the issue is that the effects of slavery can still be felt today. OF course, this is america and if one wants to achieve something bad enough there is nothing stoppin ya. White people being poor and low socioeconomic class. Tough one. a lot of it is in the depressed areas in appalachia of kentucky and tenessee where there was a lot of coal mining which dried up and the people dont wanna move to find work. and of course lack of drive, lack of education, bad luck etc.. This exists in the white comminity as well.. Just because you are white doesnt mean things are handed to you.. except if you are from a wealthy family and stuff keeps getting passed down from generation to generation. These people are truly lucky.. eg paris hilton.

if you want evidence.. im not sure anybody can give you concret proof or evidence.. well maybe the social scientists can.. i dont know dude. why dont you answere your own question for me

davvid2700 said:
...The "african americans" are this way because of 150 years of being enslaved. the whole slave trade and everything....But the crux of the issue is that the effects of slavery can still be felt today.

I really don't know how to say this without sounding like a rude jacka$$, but that's the 3rd time you've been very assertive with that statement without any actual evidence supporting it...which is all I'm looking for here. Please don't think I'm being rude, but I'm just trying to see why poor blacks should be viewed differently from poor whites, poor hispanics, poor asians, or even wealthy blacks. Do the wealthy blacks deserve the same compensation? And where is the line drawn between poor and wealthy blacks? I'm not asking these questions to sound like a prick, but these issues can't be separated and must be well thought-out if you're gonna make such a strong accusation pointing to something that happened over 100 years ago...and having nothing to do with any white people alive today.

davvid2700 said:
...White people being poor and low socioeconomic class. Tough one. a lot of it is in the depressed areas in appalachia of kentucky and tenessee where there was a lot of coal mining which dried up and the people dont wanna move to find work.

I don't know. I have lived in 6 states now across the country, and there's po-white-trash everywhere. Just like there are wealthy and poor blacks everywhere. I really don't think it's tough at all...didn't anyone see the "God's and Clods" episode of South Park?

davvid2700 said:
umm geeez, you are getting into some serious sociology. being of the lower socioeconomic class generally means you are less educated(not always) , less refined, less skilled, etc. The "african americans" are this way because of 150 years of being enslaved. the whole slave trade and everything. Not all cases of course. Some choose this way of life and some totally just immerse themselves in this self pity that wont get them anywhere. But the crux of the issue is that the effects of slavery can still be felt today. OF course, this is america and if one wants to achieve something bad enough there is nothing stoppin ya. White people being poor and low socioeconomic class. Tough one. a lot of it is in the depressed areas in appalachia of kentucky and tenessee where there was a lot of coal mining which dried up and the people dont wanna move to find work. and of course lack of drive, lack of education, bad luck etc.. This exists in the white comminity as well.. Just because you are white doesnt mean things are handed to you.. except if you are from a wealthy family and stuff keeps getting passed down from generation to generation. These people are truly lucky.. eg paris hilton.

if you want evidence.. im not sure anybody can give you concret proof or evidence.. well maybe the social scientists can.. i dont know dude. why dont you answere your own question for me

Slavery is wrong, id say probrably in the top 3 worst things anyone could do to another person. I hate my ancestors for what they did, believe me. For the most part though you, back in those days it was one african tribe conquering the other and then selling them to the white man. Slavery existed there as well, they were sold into it by their own people, not that it was right to carry on what they did here though.

Mistakes were made and lessons learned. People of African decent here have probrably more opportunities here than they do in any other counry in the world. People die everyday trying to get here even so they can have that opportunity. Im sure their African Ancestors are looking down from above and just in disbelief how the opportunities that they fought and died for but never got, are now here and available more than ever, but in most cases just not taken advantage of.

Why not taken advantage of? Because the welfare system has brain washed them to just be content with what you can get and not have to work for it. 80 years ago your average black worker could do twice the work as your average white guy, they were work horses, they didnt know anything but work. Now it is totally opposite, your average black guy isnt getting that job because wether he is lazy or not, the current ways of his culture has been lazyness and not taking initiative and being accountable. Just look at those individuals that actually do take initiative, just as smart, competive, and wealthy as anyone else. Giving hand outs because you feel bad only makes people more lazy. Hey if the government would have more of a get off your butt and work attitude then half the people that are on welfare right now woudnt be on it. Because they would have no other choice, it would be either work or starve. Guarantee they would all have at least one job, maybe more.

Nah David, the black Americans in this country ,by and large, are of the lower socio-economic class and less educated because they have lower IQs --not because of 150 years of slavery in this country. You're being "played" by the Sharpton and Jackson camp. Take a look at the country that these American blacks predominantly came from-- Africa. Now take any measure of success of a society and compare it to say a predominant asian society like Japan. Japan is more "successful" than Africa. Why is this so? Is it the water they drink? How about the air they breath? The resources? Nah dude, people make a country. In general, the Japanese have higher IQs than the Africaners. But why do the Japanese have higher IQs than the people in Africa? The answers lie in the sequence(s) of the human genome. Mankind's future rests with the holy grail-- the human genome. Regards,-----Zip

zippy2u said:
Nah David, the black Americans in this country ,by and large, are of the lower socio-economic class and less educated because they have lower IQs --not because of 150 years of slavery in this country. You're being "played" by the Sharpton and Jackson camp. Take a look at the country that these American blacks predominantly came from-- Africa. Now take any measure of success of a society and compare it to say a predominant asian society like Japan. Japan is more "successful" than Africa. Why is this so? Is it the water they drink? How about the air they breath? The resources? Nah dude, people make a country. In general, the Japanese have higher IQs than the Africaners. But why do the Japanese have higher IQs than the people in Africa? The answers lie in the sequence(s) of the human genome. Mankind's future rests with the holy grail-- the human genome. Regards,-----Zip

I dont buy your theory at all.. Sounds like you are a "racist". Dude im sorry but that post oozes everything that this country is trying to work against.
But you have a right to think the way you think. I will defend that. I just cant buy it as an educated person. There are pleny of people with high IQs who achieve very little. ANd many many people with average IQs who achieve a lot. So i dont believe the answer is there. How do I know? I have an average IQ and I have achieved a lot more then mysibling whose IQ is like 20 points higher than mine.

davvid2700 said:
I dont buy your theory at all.. Sounds like you are a "racist"...
Why do people scream "racism" anytime someone makes a negative statement about blacks...without even considering if it's true or not. Maybe it's just the knee-jerk mentality that pervades our culture. I don't know if I believe the IQ thing either, but I sure didn't jump up and yell racism. And why didn't white people have a fit when the "White Men Can't Jump" movie came out?

davvid2700 said:
...But you have a right to think the way you think. I will defend that. I just cant buy it as an educated person.
But you can buy the "enslaved ancestors 100 years ago made me poor and uneducated" reason?

David, Let me make it crystal clear to you and others on the forum that I do not condone any form of discrimination or prejudice toward my fellow man/woman concerning race, creed or religion. Studies on race and intelligence are largely a taboo subject in America, more so than human sexuality. But they are incredibly important to study despite making people uncomfortable. You should not feel uncomfortable nor should you regard these studies as "negative". Knowledge does not have "negative" connotations. Understanding the relationships between race and intelligence may allow you to further ask questions and help your fellow man/woman. Regards, ---Zippy

It is not the color of your skin that holds peoples back.

It is the "culture". Belief in hard work or belief in entitlement because of the past.

Affirmative action is a political concept that supports an undesirable "culture" of beliefs.

toofache32 said:
Why do people scream "racism" anytime someone makes a negative statement about blacks...without even considering if it's true or not. Maybe it's just the knee-jerk mentality that pervades our culture.

racism
One entry found for racism.

Main Entry: rac·ism
Pronunciation: 'rA-"si-z&m also -"shi-
Function: noun
1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

sounds like zippy's post to me..

from merriam-webster online dictionary
) racism. The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition. 2000.
...The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.

zippy2u said:
. You should not feel uncomfortable nor should you regard these studies as "negative". Knowledge does not have "negative" connotations. Understanding the relationships between race and intelligence may allow you to further ask questions and help your fellow man/woman. Regards, ---Zippy

Im not uncomfortable at all. You should be though. I just dont believe you.

davvid2700 said:
what? explain what? yao ming?

Certain minorities are over represented, while others are very UNDERrepresented.

Smacks of racism there.....and you know what??? No one is complaining....how come there is no AA there????

I'm sure some short asian dude would love to make a couple of million bucks a year with no education.

SMACKS of racisim....only tall minorities need apply.

zippy2u said:

Africa is not a country. There are variations throughout nature. Humans are not immune. Just as there are stupid lazy azz black people, there are also stupid lazy azz white people.. et al. What the f#uck is IQ? Who comes up with the questions that can crown someone a genius? Did they give the IQ test to the bush man in Africa? There are plenty of people that changed the world that never be allowed admission into Mensa. I dont give a f#uck what your IQ is. You want to succed in THIS country, its all here if you are willing to work for it. You dont need to be a figgen genius to be successful.