Fight For The Profession: Tres, By Jet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
militarymd said:
Certain minorities are over represented, while others are very UNDERrepresented.

Smacks of racism there.....and you know what??? No one is complaining....how come there is no AA there????

I'm sure some short asian dude would love to make a couple of million bucks a year with no education.

SMACKS of racisim....only tall minorities need apply.
I love reading this dribble, its taken me a couple hours to scan through the most of it, but from what it seems like everyone has their knickers is such a twist….…Whhahhh, lets argue about those CRNA’s trying to take over anesthesia, Whaaaaa….well maybe its those “poor minorties” we should focus our attention on , and oh yeah affirmative action, we can’t forget that…oh and let me cry a little bit more because “I couldn’t get into Harvard”, or better yet “those homies , and poor in New Orleans, are just sucking the system dry, I just don’t feel safe!!.....pathetic
Oh yeah and the best one yet, “ the black Americans in this country ,by and large, are of the lower socio-economic class and less educated because they have lower IQs --not because of 150 years of slavery in this country” Please tell me if you heard this on Dr. Phil or Oprah! Actually, I brought this up at dinner last night, and we all had a really great laugh. We couldn’t believe at the level of ignorance that still exists in the world, but were thoroughly amused that some of the most “intelligent people” are the worst offenders.
For the record kids, I’m third generation physician, my wife second generation physician, both African American. So the idea that raw intelligence, years of slavery, AA, or the fact that I came from a single parent family home, is a determinant of my future is pretty funny, but it’s usually easier to wallow in your own self ignorance, then make the effort to expand your thinking.
Ladies, I’ll let you get back to you conversation, keep up the good work. :laugh:
 
bignursemd said:
For the record kids, I’m third generation physician, my wife second generation physician, both African American.

Does that mean that even with Affirmative action it took you 3 times to get into medical school and 2 tries for your wife?

Butt out.....

let us losers have our forum....

, and I'll probably get banned for that one.. 😡
 
bignursemd said:
I love reading this dribble, its taken me a couple hours to scan through the most of it, but from what it seems like everyone has their knickers is such a twist….…Whhahhh, lets argue about those CRNA’s trying to take over anesthesia, Whaaaaa….well maybe its those “poor minorties” we should focus our attention on , and oh yeah affirmative action, we can’t forget that…oh and let me cry a little bit more because “I couldn’t get into Harvard”, or better yet “those homies , and poor in New Orleans, are just sucking the system dry, I just don’t feel safe!!.....pathetic
Oh yeah and the best one yet, “ the black Americans in this country ,by and large, are of the lower socio-economic class and less educated because they have lower IQs --not because of 150 years of slavery in this country” Please tell me if you heard this on Dr. Phil or Oprah! Actually, I brought this up at dinner last night, and we all had a really great laugh. We couldn’t believe at the level of ignorance that still exists in the world, but were thoroughly amused that some of the most “intelligent people” are the worst offenders.
For the record kids, I’m third generation physician, my wife second generation physician, both African American. So the idea that raw intelligence, years of slavery, AA, or the fact that I came from a single parent family home, is a determinant of my future is pretty funny, but it’s usually easier to wallow in your own self ignorance, then make the effort to expand your thinking.
Ladies, I’ll let you get back to you conversation, keep up the good work. :laugh:

I just dont wanna get shot.

Pre Katrina thats what I thought about when getting out of my truck at 2 am at the hospital I work at.

Pre Katrina that fear was based on robberies and murders that took place IN and AROUND the hospital. And the murder statistics New Orleans carried.

Who is responsible for all the preKatrina violence here? Why is it not here anymore?

I dont know the answers.

All I know is I feel safer.

So whatever happened, I feel safer.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Why is it that when anyone expresses any opinion that is not PC....everyone gets so upset??

Zip expressed his observations, d2700 expressed his beliefs, and everyone gets all up in arms.

Zip thinks that certain races are more gifted in certain aspects of human capabilities, and what does Big Nurse say?????

Zip must be wrong because I come from a family of black nurses?!..Do you know how *****ic a statement that is to counter what Zip said? Isolated examples does not contradict a statistical observation. Any well trained physician should know that.

Look, there are differences in the races...that is a simple fact. We can accept it or not.

Just look at my example , the NBA....tell me that certain races aren't superior at certain things!!!

AA ignores the skills/talents of different races and artificially values certain jobs over others....being a doctor is more important than being a basketball dribbler.....and than raise and lowers bars for races to achieve some "utopian" quota.......BS!!!

Let the past be the past...and move forward.
 
When I speak of IQs and race, I speak of MEAN values. Why is the mean IQ number of asians higher than whites? IQ is a bell shaped curve. Some asians have lower IQs than whites and some asians have higher IQs than whites. For the black IQ bell shaped curve as you move to the right( higher intelligence) females predominate. Why is this? For all races, why do males predominate at the ends of the bell shaped curve? Anyone care to postulate? ---Zip
 
militarymd said:
Does that mean that even with Affirmative action it took you 3 times to get into medical school and 2 tries for your wife?

Butt out.....

let us losers have our forum....

, and I'll probably get banned for that one.. 😡
Ladies, easy! :laugh: First, sorry to disappoint, third and second generation docs, but nice attempt at witty commentary. As an open forum people are able to contribute, so if your knickers keep getting tight that is really too bad. Personally I could care less, people have their beliefs, ideas, and so be it. I’m expressing my feelings and thoughts on the subjects. As for there being differences in races I’m perfectly fine in accepting that, but when we start assigning intellectual abilities to race that’s when I become a skeptic….hey personal beliefs!
AA is a tool, it’s there, and sometimes people believe that its use when assessing equal applicants is warranted….who cares!!! I applaud you mil for being such a progressive. But like many people are sick of people playing the race card, enough with I’ve been reverse discriminated against.
Again thanks again for the stimulating conversation!
 
militarymd said:
Why is it that when anyone expresses any opinion that is not PC....everyone gets so upset??

Zip expressed his observations, d2700 expressed his beliefs, and everyone gets all up in arms.

Zip thinks that certain races are more gifted in certain aspects of human capabilities, and what does Big Nurse say?????

Zip must be wrong because I come from a family of black nurses?!..Do you know how *****ic a statement that is to counter what Zip said? Isolated examples does not contradict a statistical observation. Any well trained physician should know that.

Look, there are differences in the races...that is a simple fact. We can accept it or not.

Just look at my example , the NBA....tell me that certain races aren't superior at certain things!!!

AA ignores the skills/talents of different races and artificially values certain jobs over others....being a doctor is more important than being a basketball dribbler.....and than raise and lowers bars for races to achieve some "utopian" quota.......BS!!!

Let the past be the past...and move forward.

It is because we live in a nation full of apologetic people who are quick to blame their shortcomings and failures on everything and everyone else except themselves. Why do you think we have such a lawsuit-happy society?

The system is designed to "protect" everyone's self-esteem by not singling out a person. Clear example is kids being promoted in high school to a higher grade without actually passing their courses just because they don't want to damage their psyche and make them feel stupid or inferior.


I went to elementary and junior high school in another country and I remember having a classmate in my 5th grade class that was in his late teens. He never passed the grade so he never got promoted. They didn't give a crap about his "self-esteem". At that school, if you didn't do your homework you got your ass beaten with a stick or a belt every day until you did it. I learned quick!
 
WTF ???


I was busy for a few days and I'm back now. Whatever happened to the ORIGINAL theme of the thread!

Guys make another race thread or something. Let's talk about the issue at hand!

Man i really cant believe these darn CRNAs not only have us fighting against EACH other but now they've detracted from teh topic.

Let's focus ppl. 👍
 
I don't remember what the orignial thread was about, but feel free to contribute to the physician only staffing model thread that I started.
 
mountaindew2006 said:
WTF ???


I was busy for a few days and I'm back now. Whatever happened to the ORIGINAL theme of the thread!

Guys make another race thread or something. Let's talk about the issue at hand!

Man i really cant believe these darn CRNAs not only have us fighting against EACH other but now they've detracted from teh topic.

Let's focus ppl. 👍


It got hijacked by the CRNA lovers who want to prove the nurses are worth working with to make more money and be more efficient.

Let's restart another one and ask that those who have nothing favorable to contribute refrain from posting.
 
zippy2u said:
... For all races, why do males predominate at the ends of the bell shaped curve? Anyone care to postulate? ---Zip
That's an easy one. It's called common sense and reason. Also, we don't go crazy once a month. It's the same reason I'll never vote for a female President....she'll be in office 1 month and the go push the nuclear button for no reason.

I don't consider myself racist, but I'm definately a chauvinist.
 
bignursemd said:
...So the idea that raw intelligence, years of slavery, AA, or the fact that I came from a single parent family home, is a determinant of my future is pretty funny, but it’s usually easier to wallow in your own self ignorance, then make the effort to expand your thinking.
Ladies, I’ll let you get back to you conversation, keep up the good work. :laugh:
So do you have an opinion/explanation? I don't quite see where you stand on this.
 
toughlife said:
It got hijacked by the CRNA lovers who want to prove the nurses are worth working with to make more money and be more efficient.

Let's restart another one and ask that those who have nothing favorable to contribute refrain from posting.


I wouldn't call those in favor of crna's, "crna lovers". I wouldn't even call them in favor of crna's (I would be happy to have AA's instead). I think you and everyone else can see by the mentality of some of the crna's on this forum that they are volatile and can be difficult to work with (some of them). The ones (crna lovers) you are refering to have just been out there and don't see a better way. If you guys can come up with a better way I'll be all for it but for now we need nurses and AA's. Nitecap has a point when he/she talks about the money earned over the career. If we went to MD only anesthesia everywhere, it would take me forever (or at least 3 times as long) to pay back all those student loans. And I only owe for med school luckily. Obviously, money is not the only reason. There just are not enough Anesthesiologists to cover all the sites and the sites are rapidly growing in #'s.
 
Noyac said:
I wouldn't call those in favor of crna's, "crna lovers". I wouldn't even call them in favor of crna's (I would be happy to have AA's instead). I think you and everyone else can see by the mentality of some of the crna's on this forum that they are volatile and can be difficult to work with (some of them). The ones (crna lovers) you are refering to have just been out there and don't see a better way. If you guys can come up with a better way I'll be all for it but for now we need nurses and AA's. Nitecap has a point when he/she talks about the money earned over the career. If we went to MD only anesthesia everywhere, it would take me forever (or at least 3 times as long) to pay back all those student loans. And I only owe for med school luckily. Obviously, money is not the only reason. There just are not enough Anesthesiologists to cover all the sites and the sites are rapidly growing in #'s.

I see your point. If the CRNA can train in two years to be proficient, why can't we have fast-track residencies lasting the same two years to crank out more MD/DOs?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
MAC10, david and Bignurse, May I suggest a book that your loved ones ought to buy you for Christmas--- The Myths That Divide Us by John Perazzo Please read with some xanax as the book is rather unsettling Regards, ----Zip
 
zippy2u said:
MAC10, david and Bignurse, May I suggest a book that your loved ones ought to buy you for Christmas--- The Myths That Divide Us by John Perazzo Please read with some xanax as the book is rather unsettling Regards, ----Zip
I threw down the plastic just today, it looks intresting, thanks for the suggestion. It was actually required reading for my wifes sociology class. And wine is my own cathartic , I'll skip the xanax.
 
toughlife said:
I see your point. If the CRNA can train in two years to be proficient, why can't we have fast-track residencies lasting the same two years to crank out more MD/DOs?


Well, if we did only 2 years, there would be more need for fellowships. And when we got out, although more knowledgeable than a crna, we would only have as much experience as a crna. There is a huge difference b/w a newly graduated crna and one with a few years experience post training. You need to really watch them (no offense crna's) until they/you are comfortable with their skills. On the contrary, a MD getting out of training can pretty much do all things. They will need to learn how a group works and how OR's function in the real world but technically they are sound providers for the most part.
 
Sorry, I just got done reading the last few pages of this thread and wanted to throw something out there, just for the hell of it. Zip said blacks and hispanics have lower IQs, which is true, but this is not because of inherently being less intellegent, it is (minimally) a combination of social factors and the instrument used to measure IQs. IQs are measured with a standardized exam written in english covering basic subjects one learns in school as well as problem solving skills, etc. I you were to take a kid from a low social ecconomic area with parents who are uneducated themselves, chances are the kid will do worse on average than a middle class kid. If you have a kid from a poor area AND his parents cant speak english well, he will has a higher probability of lagging behind others in grammar, vocabulary, and reading skills above and beyond the other poor kids, lowering his IQ test score even further. If he's fresh off the boat, some of the cultural norms taken for granted by the American writers of the exam may become even more apparent - such is the classic case in IQ tests matching the building with a cross on it with the steeple - if you've never seen a church with a steeple, chances are you're not going to figgure it out on a exam. As far as the Asain comment - school work and financial success are very much valued in some Asain cultures as well as the belief that parents are primarily responsible for the success of their children, not teachers or the government, and a childs success directly reflects on the worht of the family - perhaps somewhat accounting for the low IQ scoring not being as universal to 1st gen asain immigrants (but anyone in california knows most asians suck at math and arent geniuses, even if the proprtion is slightly higher). I'm not trying to be all PC, but expecting former slaves who were oppressed ecconomically undeniably through the 1960s to show their full potential in 40 years as measured by a standardized exam is not a very valid way to judge an entire race of people. Even today, everyone knows that on average blacks are poorer than whites, so measuring how well a poor people are educated compared to the middle class will nearly invariably show a difference in scores regardless of race.

The CRNA vs MDA thing can continue now...(go MD's!!)
 
Noyac said:
Well, if we did only 2 years, there would be more need for fellowships. And when we got out, although more knowledgeable than a crna, we would only have as much experience as a crna. There is a huge difference b/w a newly graduated crna and one with a few years experience post training. You need to really watch them (no offense crna's) until they/you are comfortable with their skills. On the contrary, a MD getting out of training can pretty much do all things. They will need to learn how a group works and how OR's function in the real world but technically they are sound providers for the most part.

ok
 
bignursemd said:
I threw down the plastic just today, it looks intresting, thanks for the suggestion. It was actually required reading for my wifes sociology class. And wine is my own cathartic , I'll skip the xanax.


So what does your wife (and the class in general) think of the "facts" presented in the book?
 
militarymd said:
Why is it that when anyone expresses any opinion that is not PC....everyone gets so upset??

Zip expressed his observations, d2700 expressed his beliefs, and everyone gets all up in arms.

Zip thinks that certain races are more gifted in certain aspects of human capabilities, and what does Big Nurse say?????

Zip must be wrong because I come from a family of black nurses?!..Do you know how *****ic a statement that is to counter what Zip said? Isolated examples does not contradict a statistical observation. Any well trained physician should know that.

Look, there are differences in the races...that is a simple fact. We can accept it or not.

Just look at my example , the NBA....tell me that certain races aren't superior at certain things!!!

AA ignores the skills/talents of different races and artificially values certain jobs over others....being a doctor is more important than being a basketball dribbler.....and than raise and lowers bars for races to achieve some "utopian" quota.......BS!!!

Let the past be the past...and move forward.


Dude, you should trade-in ur OR cap for a white hood. your arguement is as elementary and primitive as it gets. it's not about not being PC, it's about diplaying deep ignorance on your part. don't u have something better to do than to spew Hitler-eugenic propaganda; maybe you can go work on your abdominal muscles, or rearrange your scotch and whisky collection.
 
toughlife said:
The part about asians having large weiners. :laugh:

Actually also the part about the randomized double-blind study demonstrating that Asians are superior motor vehicle drivers.
 
MedicinePowder said:
Actually also the part about the randomized double-blind study demonstrating that Asians are superior motor vehicle drivers.

Yup, that's exactly the kind of answer I expected....because you know everything I said is accurate.

My experience has been that people like yourself (left wing liberals), have beliefs that are not rooted in facts or reality, so when tasked with supporting your statements, and unable...resort to naming calling and mockery.

Don't get me wrong...your beliefs are noble....it is just unfortunate that it is a belief system that is not rooted in reality.
 
MedicinePowder said:
Actually also the part about the randomized double-blind study demonstrating that Asians are superior motor vehicle drivers.

Oh, BTW, there is no study demonstrating that Asians are superior drivers...it is just common knowledge that I, X-MMD, is a superior pilot of 2 wheeled vehicles.
 
militarymd said:
Yup, that's exactly the kind of answer I expected....because you know everything I said is accurate.

My experience has been that people like yourself (left wing liberals), have beliefs that are not rooted in facts or reality, so when tasked with supporting your statements, and unable...resort to naming calling and mockery.

Don't get me wrong...your beliefs are noble....it is just unfortunate that it is a belief system that is not rooted in reality.

I was giving you a taste of your own medicine, boy. In other words, I was being facetious to demonstrate how racism is rooted on stereotypes. If all blacks and mexicans are inherently unable to think critcally and learn complex information as well as an asian and whites, than asian people are inherently bad drivers and have smaller genitals.
 
militarymd said:
I don't remember what the orignial thread was about, but feel free to contribute to the physician only staffing model thread that I started.
Dont remember what the thread is about?

Dude read the title. Let's stop hijacking threads here man. Respect a little.

I think a lot of ppl are just tired because of all the BS that's been happening to this thread like the racism crap,etc that ppl are bringing into it. FOCUS PPL. FOCUS.

CRNAs should be a help...NOT A THREAT. i am completely against them having complete autonomy. I think thye should be under supervision at ALL times. Economically speaking, arent AAs cheaper? and hmm LESS malignant. Why not go w/ more AAs? It seems more Anesthesiologists will be produced in the next few years, so if there was an increase in AAs as well...well then who needs the CRNAs??

And all of you who do not think they are a thread...google CRNA website. look at their accomplishments and strongholds in the US govt. THINK DOCS, THINK.
 
mountaindew2006 said:
Economically speaking, arent AAs cheaper?
Nope. We are not. AA's and CRNA's in the same practice, with comparable experience, are paid the same.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
mountaindew2006 said:
CRNAs should be a help...NOT A THREAT. i am completely against them having complete autonomy.


Why do CRNA's threaten you? I'm not threatened. Why are you threatened?

If you are so completely against them having autonomy, then I suggest your first job after you finish your training, is some rotten hell hole of a town where there aren't any anesthesiologists....that is putting your money where your mouth is.
 
MedicinePowder said:
I was giving you a taste of your own medicine, boy. In other words, I was being facetious to demonstrate how racism is rooted on stereotypes. If all blacks and mexicans are inherently unable to think critcally and learn complex information as well as an asian and whites, than asian people are inherently bad drivers and have smaller genitals.

Unfortunately, you didn't do what I do...you said ALL....I said there was a trend...

If you had said Asians tended to be have smaller dongs or tended to be worse driviers...I would say...."you're probably right"

But you said ALL.

I'm not a racist....I merely point out facts, and actually I didn't point them out...zippy did.
 
zippy2u said:
MAC10, david and Bignurse, May I suggest a book that your loved ones ought to buy you for Christmas--- The Myths That Divide Us by John Perazzo Please read with some xanax as the book is rather unsettling Regards, ----Zip

bignursemd,

so what does your wife/you/and the class in general think about the "facts" presented by Mr. Perazzo in his book???

I am curious as to your thoughts.
 
trinityalumnus said:
Thank you, thank you, thank you very much ..... I humbly take a tiny bit of credit, resulting from his student time with me at HPL Hospital when I was staff there. Please tell him hello and best of luck on the c/sec.

JPP, don't know if you recall, but when you and I were at Children's Hospital in 1994, David was in PACU there. Prior to that he was the private first assist RN with one of the Tulane neurosurgeons when I was in the OR there (1991-92). Our paths seem to keep crossing.

HA!

Trin,

this post got so long I didnt read all of it. Just read your post.

I didnt know David was in the pacu when we were there!!

Thanx for the trivia tidbit.
 
militarymd said:
Oh, BTW, there is no study demonstrating that Asians are superior drivers...it is just common knowledge that I, X-MMD, is a superior pilot of 2 wheeled vehicles.

uhhh...Mil, with all due respect,

I'M A FLORIDA CRAKKA AND I CAN CRANK BY YOUR A SS AT 120 mph.

ON ONE WHEEL. THE BACK WHEEL.

DON'T MESS WITH HAYABUSA DUDES.

:meanie:
 
davvid2700 said:
umm how is it relevant? I think the poverty, the crime, the ghetto culture, the reason why jet is scared shiitless everytime he goes to the hospital, the distrust for "the man": and many things that plague the african american community is almost all directly related to enslaving them for hundreds of years.

For hundreds of years, the people that make up todays Poland have been invaded by numerous groups of people. Usually (but not always. i.e. Ghengis Kahn etc.)these were neighboring countries like Russia and Germany that were more numerous, more wealthy, and more advanced militarily. This happened for hundreds of years, often with devistating effects on the Poles.

But, it would be hilarious for someone to make excuses for individual behavior, and choices, while referencing the above facts. It would be a joke.

Could it be said that this history has played a role in the development of modern day Poland? Sure. That wouldn't be illogical. But, to make excuses for individuals based on those facts is, again, laughable. Especially, while living in the most wealthy (arguably, and only at the moment I'm afraid) country on earth, and one with a very free market, capitalist legal system....
 
cfdavid said:
For hundreds of years, the people that make up todays Poland have been invaded by numerous groups of people. Usually (but not always. i.e. Ghengis Kahn etc.)these were neighboring countries like Russia and Germany that were more numerous, more wealthy, and more advanced militarily. This happened for hundreds of years, often with devistating effects on the Poles.

But, it would be hilarious for someone to make excuses for individual behavior, and choices, while referencing the above facts. It would be a joke.

Could it be said that this history has played a role in the development of modern day Poland? Sure. That wouldn't be illogical. But, to make excuses for individuals based on those facts is, again, laughable. Especially, while living in the most wealthy (arguably, and only at the moment I'm afraid) country on earth, and one with a very free market, capitalist legal system....

Being Polish is an excuse for a lot of stupid behavior up here in Wisconsin! :laugh:
 
Yo Slick x 2

I love it how you all resort to outside the argument comebacks (whts the persons race, social status, year in med school, etc).

It's a trick that dates back to the Roman lawyer Cicero to distract the jury from the guilt of his defendant. Ppl on here are not as dumb.

Bottom line. screw teh both of you. If you dont like this topic or thread GET THE F #$K out of here (if you cant beat them join them). I'll treat you like the b *(Tch trolls of this forum.

I'd really like to hear the ideas of individuals that are really concerned about this topic.
 
mountaindew2006 said:
Yo Slick x 2

I love it how you all resort to outside the argument comebacks (whts the persons race, social status, year in med school, etc).

It's a trick that dates back to the Roman lawyer Cicero to distract the jury from the guilt of his defendant. Ppl on here are not as dumb.

Bottom line. screw teh both of you. If you dont like this topic or thread GET THE F #$K out of here (if you cant beat them join them). I'll treat you like the b *(Tch trolls of this forum.

I'd really like to hear the ideas of individuals that are really concerned about this topic.

Yo, MS IV,:laugh:

Tell me what you know about the topic. I'm ready to take advice from a medical student.:laugh:
 
hey chumps (milMD and JPP)

ready to eat your words??????????? Here's a post from the GENERAL RESIDENCY FORUM...look at the thread that reads: "whats competitive and less competitive" (or something like that). Chumps, eat your words....its common sense now... MORE DOCTORS are being produced. Meaning we dont need those CRNAs like you guys stated. So how do you sell outs feel now?

So what do you all have to say about this? I realize you guys are in private practice and thus are somewhat oblivious to what occurs in academia, nevertheless, your ignorance is quite apparent.

This is quoted from MacGyver as to why there will be MORE MD's:

Oh and before you all hit that little reply button down there...do me a favor and READ the post before spewing out nonsense fellas.


The number of people applying to residencies is going UP, its not constant. This is due to a myriad of factors, which I'll lay out below:

1) There have been many new DO schools opened up the last few years, and more DO schools on the way. They are fools and aggressively pushing an expansion of nationwide DO programs.

2) Many of these new DO graduates are aggressively pushing after MD residencies. Before they always stuck to their FP and osteopathic residencies, but many more DOs are now pursuing other specialties that are currently relegated to the MD realm.

3) The number of FMGs has gone up. As somebody else mentioned above, the ECFMG has made it progressively easier for FMGs to enter hte match. Lots of barriers have been removed, and now more FMGs are applying than ever.

4) More MD schools. FSU, Cleveland Clinic, and a couple of other new med schools in the USA have opened up recently. that means more MD graduates. Each school puts out an extra 100-200 grads. It gets worse too. 3 more MD schools are being planned in florida alone. Texas is going to add 2 more med schools (UT Austin, UT El Paso). California is also considering expanding the med school system there.

5) Backdoor entry programs. Many US MD programs now have partnerships with foreign countries to allow their FMGs to come in as "american medical graduates" and bypass the ECFMG rules. Some MD programs are outright building new foreign med schools, but attaching the "american university" label to them, thereby granting their graduates american medical student status. Cornell has a program in Qatar, Harvard has a program in United Arab Emirates, Univ of South Florida is starting a program in India.

6) Some MD programs have increased their enrollment.


So what we have is more competition for fewer slots. The biggest threat is the increase in DO programs. They are aggressivley pushing more DO schools. There are already 5 new DO schools in the works and they want to expand beyond that as well. They are doing this so they can increase their "image" in the marketplace. The idiots are going to hurt all of us (MDs and DOs) if they continue to pursue this aggressive strategy.

It also doesnt help when just about every state in the country wants to open up a new med school. As I stated, Florida is going to build 3 new MD schools in the next couple of years.
 
mountaindew2006 said:
hey chumps (milMD and JPP)

ready to eat your words??????????? Here's a post from the GENERAL RESIDENCY FORUM...look at the thread that reads: "whats competitive and less competitive" (or something like that). Chumps, eat your words....its common sense now... MORE DOCTORS are being produced. Meaning we dont need those CRNAs like you guys stated. So how do you sell outs feel now?

So what do you all have to say about this? I realize you guys are in private practice and thus are somewhat oblivious to what occurs in academia, nevertheless, your ignorance is quite apparent.

This is quoted from MacGyver as to why there will be MORE MD's:

Oh and before you all hit that little reply button down there...do me a favor and READ the post before spewing out nonsense fellas.


The number of people applying to residencies is going UP, its not constant. This is due to a myriad of factors, which I'll lay out below:

1) There have been many new DO schools opened up the last few years, and more DO schools on the way. They are fools and aggressively pushing an expansion of nationwide DO programs.

2) Many of these new DO graduates are aggressively pushing after MD residencies. Before they always stuck to their FP and osteopathic residencies, but many more DOs are now pursuing other specialties that are currently relegated to the MD realm.

3) The number of FMGs has gone up. As somebody else mentioned above, the ECFMG has made it progressively easier for FMGs to enter hte match. Lots of barriers have been removed, and now more FMGs are applying than ever.

4) More MD schools. FSU, Cleveland Clinic, and a couple of other new med schools in the USA have opened up recently. that means more MD graduates. Each school puts out an extra 100-200 grads. It gets worse too. 3 more MD schools are being planned in florida alone. Texas is going to add 2 more med schools (UT Austin, UT El Paso). California is also considering expanding the med school system there.

5) Backdoor entry programs. Many US MD programs now have partnerships with foreign countries to allow their FMGs to come in as "american medical graduates" and bypass the ECFMG rules. Some MD programs are outright building new foreign med schools, but attaching the "american university" label to them, thereby granting their graduates american medical student status. Cornell has a program in Qatar, Harvard has a program in United Arab Emirates, Univ of South Florida is starting a program in India.

6) Some MD programs have increased their enrollment.


So what we have is more competition for fewer slots. The biggest threat is the increase in DO programs. They are aggressivley pushing more DO schools. There are already 5 new DO schools in the works and they want to expand beyond that as well. They are doing this so they can increase their "image" in the marketplace. The idiots are going to hurt all of us (MDs and DOs) if they continue to pursue this aggressive strategy.

It also doesnt help when just about every state in the country wants to open up a new med school. As I stated, Florida is going to build 3 new MD schools in the next couple of years.

Dude, you are truly an out of control piece of s hit.

I came to this forum about a year ago to share experiences, talk with colleagues, and post my take on the experiences I've had in the anesthesia business covering almost ten years.

Like I've posted before, I was initially headed to an all MD model. It didnt work out, so I worked in a team model practice for all of my career.

I have my own opinions, but they are formed from experience...not...uhhh...whatever you are formulating your opinions on.

And let it be known that I'm not so sure youre who you say you are.

There was an antagonistic poster named JUSTIN who claimed to be an anesthesia attending, and posted here for a while...he's gone now, and Mil and I are still here, broadcasting our REAL LIFE experiences/opinions on SDN.

For all I know, you are Justin.

Tell me, if you are an MS-4, how are you so "versed" on anesthesia that you feel you can disseminate your opinion? I didnt know s hit about anesthesia when I was an MS 4.

Things arent adding up with you, Slim.

Looks like a terrorist with an ulterior motive.

And, by the way, referring to your proliferation of MDs, inferring that we dont need CRNAs/AAs,

Eckerd Drugs could pump out anesthesiologists for the next cuppla years, and we still would have a deficit.

I'm tired of your anecdotal, stupid-a ss posts that supposedly mean something.

Look at UTs posts and his HIGH SIX FIGURE SALARY PRACTICE (which translates to 600-700k annual) that is having trouble finding WELL TRAINED, REASONABLE PEOPLE to fill the spots.

You have only one agenda here, and thats to stir s hit.

You are contributing nothing to this forum.
 
jetproppilot said:
Dude, you are truly an out of control piece of s hit.

I came to this forum about a year ago to share experiences, talk with colleagues, and post my take on the experiences I've had in the anesthesia business covering almost ten years.

Like I've posted before, I was initially headed to an all MD model. It didnt work out, so I worked in a team model practice for all of my career.

I have my own opinions, but they are formed from experience...not...uhhh...whatever you are formulating your opinions on.

And let it be known that I'm not so sure youre who you say you are.

There was an antagonistic poster named JUSTIN who claimed to be an anesthesia attending, and posted here for a while...he's gone now, and Mil and I are still here, broadcasting our REAL LIFE experiences/opinions on SDN.

For all I know, you are Justin.

Tell me, if you are an MS-4, how are you so "versed" on anesthesia that you feel you can disseminate your opinion? I didnt know s hit about anesthesia when I was an MS 4.

Things arent adding up with you, Slim.

Looks like a terrorist with an ulterior motive.

And, by the way, referring to your proliferation of MDs, inferring that we dont need CRNAs/AAs,

Eckerd Drugs could pump out anesthesiologists for the next cuppla years, and we still would have a deficit.

I'm tired of your anecdotal, stupid-a ss posts that supposedly mean something.

Look at UTs posts and his HIGH SIX FIGURE SALARY PRACTICE (which translates to 600-700k annual) that is having trouble finding WELL TRAINED, REASONABLE PEOPLE to fill the spots.

You have only one agenda here, and thats to stir s hit.

You are contributing nothing to this forum.
yo slick

I dont understand what your problem is. that's great that you are an attending etc. But others have opinions DIFFERENT from yours..albeit attendings, residents, med students, WHATEVER

you get awfully worked up whenever ANYONE crosses whatever it is you say. Get over it bud. THis is AMERICA. We all have differences of opinion and your hitlerism on here is BS. You friggin post on here as though your experiences and posts are the BIBLE. Dude, you are the true terrorist here, not me. You try to shut ppl off that have differences in opinion from you.

If your opinion differs, then SHUT THE F up and dont post s hit on the thread in question. I dont get what's soo hard about that? My opinion is shared by a few on here. Additionally, there are many who have PMed privately who are also interseted in this cause but i guess are 'afraid' of your belittling and antagonistic behavior. If you truly are an attending....learn to respect others and not jump to name calling and 'let me fire on them' attitude 😎
 
mountaindew2006 said:
hey chumps (milMD and JPP)

ready to eat your words??????????? Here's a post from the GENERAL RESIDENCY FORUM...look at the thread that reads: "whats competitive and less competitive" (or something like that). Chumps, eat your words....its common sense now... MORE DOCTORS are being produced. Meaning we dont need those CRNAs like you guys stated. So how do you sell outs feel now?

So what do you all have to say about this? I realize you guys are in private practice and thus are somewhat oblivious to what occurs in academia, nevertheless, your ignorance is quite apparent.

This is quoted from MacGyver as to why there will be MORE MD's:

Oh and before you all hit that little reply button down there...do me a favor and READ the post before spewing out nonsense fellas.


The number of people applying to residencies is going UP, its not constant. This is due to a myriad of factors, which I'll lay out below:

1) There have been many new DO schools opened up the last few years, and more DO schools on the way. They are fools and aggressively pushing an expansion of nationwide DO programs.

2) Many of these new DO graduates are aggressively pushing after MD residencies. Before they always stuck to their FP and osteopathic residencies, but many more DOs are now pursuing other specialties that are currently relegated to the MD realm.

3) The number of FMGs has gone up. As somebody else mentioned above, the ECFMG has made it progressively easier for FMGs to enter hte match. Lots of barriers have been removed, and now more FMGs are applying than ever.

4) More MD schools. FSU, Cleveland Clinic, and a couple of other new med schools in the USA have opened up recently. that means more MD graduates. Each school puts out an extra 100-200 grads. It gets worse too. 3 more MD schools are being planned in florida alone. Texas is going to add 2 more med schools (UT Austin, UT El Paso). California is also considering expanding the med school system there.

5) Backdoor entry programs. Many US MD programs now have partnerships with foreign countries to allow their FMGs to come in as "american medical graduates" and bypass the ECFMG rules. Some MD programs are outright building new foreign med schools, but attaching the "american university" label to them, thereby granting their graduates american medical student status. Cornell has a program in Qatar, Harvard has a program in United Arab Emirates, Univ of South Florida is starting a program in India.

6) Some MD programs have increased their enrollment.


So what we have is more competition for fewer slots. The biggest threat is the increase in DO programs. They are aggressivley pushing more DO schools. There are already 5 new DO schools in the works and they want to expand beyond that as well. They are doing this so they can increase their "image" in the marketplace. The idiots are going to hurt all of us (MDs and DOs) if they continue to pursue this aggressive strategy.

It also doesnt help when just about every state in the country wants to open up a new med school. As I stated, Florida is going to build 3 new MD schools in the next couple of years.


I miss MacGyver... Where has he been all this time?
 
kifaru said:
It is good that you are at least open about this and speak your mind. I respect that.
Needless to say, I find your opinion despicable, and wrong.
That is my opinion.
I am black and proud of it and I do not believe I am any less smart because I am black.
There are people out there who are 'smarter' than me, they come in all races; white, black, Asian, Hispanic, etc.
There are people out there who are 'less smart' than I am; they come in all races; white, black, Asian, Hispanic etc.
Living is all about choice; if you want to work hard and achieve at something, this country gives you the opportunity to do that.
If you want to be a bum and take advantage of the system, you can do that.
At the end of the day, we all make a choice whether we 'live' or 'exist'.
Racism and prejudice will never end.
White on black
Black on white etc. etc.
Personally, I am more comfortable with the person who states clearly if he/she is judging me based on the color of my skin.
Ultimately, it is all about choice, about not denying someone an opportunity because of the color of their skin, whether black or white or yellow etc.
Enough Said.
SDN is a wonderful forum, I have learned tons here. Let us not make it a place where people feel uncomfortable and judged based on skin color.
There has been a lot of negative energy going through this forum, why don't we cool it down and concentrate on being the best anesthesiologists, and persons we can be.
Please.

Right ON! I know all about oppression and discrimination b/c just about everyone hates Jews.
 
Cyndee said:
Right ON! I know all about oppression and discrimination b/c just about everyone hates Jews.

It's ridiculous statements like this that continue the barrier to reconciliation.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
you know, i come on here randomly and probably am not as advanced as yall are in training, but as a recent grad of med school awaiting match results, my two cents is that if anesthesiologists want to save our profession, then call out your fellow residents that are not as strong and are very lazy. These residents, which i have met on out of town rotation, etc., do not read, do minimal work, and go into the real world having forgotten/drank away/smoked away the information in medical school that separated them from CRNAs. they barely pass boards and are simply an anesthesiologist only qualified for easy cases like CRNAs. So work hard, learn your **** COLD (I was teaching CA-1s/2s as a freakin med student in very isolated cases), and try to make yourself stand out from the others. that will make us the most well-trained and sought after. When you arent even that good at what you do, why not get a cheaper version (CRNA)? so become better anesthesiologists. work on deficiencies, etc.
As for the racism.. it is a real thing. I deal with it. my GF is white and when we go out she notices it. I am banned from a few bars for knocking the **** out of some racist white people, but that is what you get.
If you think racism doesnt exist in this country for Jews (It is freakin everywhere, dont act like u dont hear/see it), blacks (they have it the worst), Browns (after 9/11), or anyone not christian or white, then you are forgetting that only 50 years ago, I was not allowed at the same water fountain as you.
Why is Justice Renquhist even remembered? That guy was so racist, he refused to sell any of his property to colored people. look it up, its true. then read about the handicapped guy that had to crawl 25 flights, and renquist ruled against him.
Then read about Strom Thurmond.. and the longest filibuster in US history.
So before you disregard racism, look into what your own government does, THEN look around you. Racism everywhere!
and if you are not sensitive to it or dont realize it, either you are very naive white person from small town that doesnt mean harm, or you are an uneducated idiot that was brought up by a household of bigots and turns a blind eye.
Not that I have an opinion on this 🙂
 
sleepwithme said:
you know, i come on here randomly and probably am not as advanced as yall are in training, but as a recent grad of med school awaiting match results, my two cents is that if anesthesiologists want to save our profession, then call out your fellow residents that are not as strong and are very lazy. These residents, which i have met on out of town rotation, etc., do not read, do minimal work, and go into the real world having forgotten/drank away/smoked away the information in medical school that separated them from CRNAs. they barely pass boards and are simply an anesthesiologist only qualified for easy cases like CRNAs. So work hard, learn your **** COLD (I was teaching CA-1s/2s as a freakin med student in very isolated cases), and try to make yourself stand out from the others. that will make us the most well-trained and sought after. When you arent even that good at what you do, why not get a cheaper version (CRNA)? so become better anesthesiologists. work on deficiencies, etc.
As for the racism.. it is a real thing. I deal with it. my GF is white and when we go out she notices it. I am banned from a few bars for knocking the **** out of some racist white people, but that is what you get.
If you think racism doesnt exist in this country for Jews (It is freakin everywhere, dont act like u dont hear/see it), blacks (they have it the worst), Browns (after 9/11), or anyone not christian or white, then you are forgetting that only 50 years ago, I was not allowed at the same water fountain as you.
Why is Justice Renquhist even remembered? That guy was so racist, he refused to sell any of his property to colored people. look it up, its true. then read about the handicapped guy that had to crawl 25 flights, and renquist ruled against him.
Then read about Strom Thurmond.. and the longest filibuster in US history.
So before you disregard racism, look into what your own government does, THEN look around you. Racism everywhere!
and if you are not sensitive to it or dont realize it, either you are very naive white person from small town that doesnt mean harm, or you are an uneducated idiot that was brought up by a household of bigots and turns a blind eye.
Not that I have an opinion on this 🙂

Havent seen alot of jewish racism in my time...quite the contrary...probably half of my med school class was jewish....

I'd go so far to say they are one of the superior groups..dont agree?

Have you ever seen a jewish person on medicaid? :laugh:

I'm catholic, by the way.
 
jetproppilot said:
Havent seen alot of jewish racism in my time...quite the contrary...probably half of my med school class was jewish....

I'd go so far to say they are one of the superior groups..dont agree?

Have you ever seen a jewish person on medicaid? :laugh:

I'm catholic, by the way.

Haha, you are right about half of med school being jewish. but I do see open racism, though more since I moved to the midwest. not in big cities