final mcat 2020 date before apps open?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pioneer22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am gearing up to sign up for a 2020 spring mcat date..
1) When do applications to medical schools first open?
2) What is the last mcat date you can take to get your results before the med school application opens?
thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
https://students-residents.aamc.org...le/mcat-testing-calendar-score-release-dates/

AMCAS app tends to open for editing on the first day of May (plus or minus a few days).

App tends to allow submission on the first day of June (plus or minus a few days). However, the first day a medical school will see your app (assuming the same process is followed this upcoming year as previous years) will likely be in the end of June, so as long as you are verified by then, you will be in the first batch of applicants.

If you wanted to know your score before the first day of possible submissions, the last possible date would likely by April 25, 2020 (and you'd get your score on May 27, 2020).

If you're fine with submitting a bit later as long as you can get verified before the end of June and be in the first batch, you can likely take your MCAT in May (likely before May 16, 2020) and get your score on June 16, 2020.

ALL OF THIS INFORMATION IS FOR AMCAS. I have nothing to contribute regarding AACOMAS dates and deadlines, as I know nothing about those.

If you already know your MCAT score, you should decide to apply based on that score
If you are only first taking the MCAT in June, you should never, ever, apply without knowing your score except to a single "throwaway" school for verification only
If your score comes back in July low, you should consider not applying this cycle. Trying to retake the MCAT in August and then only first getting your application in in September, you are starting on the downhill side of the rolling admissions curve. It isnt too late, but it is definitely the second half of the pack

I know this doesn’t fully answer your question, but thought it would be helpful info!

Also be prepared to push that test date back if needed, as it is wise to only take it if you are only 100% sure you are ready! A poor MCAT score can be difficult to remediate

Members don't see this ad :)
Applications first open up the end of May. I think the latest considered is MCAT's taken in September and if you want to see your scores before then take it by early April. There is plenty of time to take it, but the sooner the better. I personally took mine mid/late May and didn't submit my primary until mid/late June. My app was verified around late July and I had plenty of time to complete secondaries and still received a II by labor day.

https://students-residents.aamc.org...le/mcat-testing-calendar-score-release-dates/

AMCAS app tends to open for editing on the first day of May (plus or minus a few days).

App tends to allow submission on the first day of June (plus or minus a few days). However, the first day a medical school will see your app (assuming the same process is followed this upcoming year as previous years) will likely be in the end of June, so as long as you are verified by then, you will be in the first batch of applicants.

If you wanted to know your score before the first day of possible submissions, the last possible date would likely by April 25, 2020 (and you'd get your score on May 27, 2020).

If you're fine with submitting a bit later as long as you can get verified before the end of June and be in the first batch, you can likely take your MCAT in May (likely before May 16, 2020) and get your score on June 16, 2020.

ALL OF THIS INFORMATION IS FOR AMCAS. I have nothing to contribute regarding AACOMAS dates and deadlines, as I know nothing about those.

what is the difference btwn submitting the app and being verified?
If med schools dont typically look at apps until end of june, what is benefit of submitting june 1?

If med schools dont typically look at apps until end of june, what is benefit of submitting june 1?

A third party organization verifies your transcript (BTW, request these from your school(s) in early May) against the courses you entered on the application and because so many people apply it can take a long time for them to verify your application is accurate. Only verified applications are transmitted to medical schools.

Verification is the process of just making sure that your transcripts match the coursework you entered, for the most part. This can take weeks to even months at the height of the cycle, and so submitting on June 1 is primarily just to ensure that you're verified before the date of first transmission to medical schools. This cycle, the latest people could submit and be in the first batch was ~June 12th, so it can vary a bit. Submitting June 1 just ensures you'll bee in the first batch.

Verification is the process of just making sure that your transcripts match the coursework you entered, for the most part. This can take weeks to even months at the height of the cycle, and so submitting on June 1 is primarily just to ensure that you're verified before the date of first transmission to medical schools. This cycle, the latest people could submit and be in the first batch was ~June 12th, so it can vary a bit. Submitting June 1 just ensures you'll bee in the first batch.
is there anyway to know how late you can submit and be the first batch (ie june 12)?
thx

is there anyway to know how late you can submit and be the first batch (ie june 12)?
thx
This year June 9 was the last day to submit and be verified before the first day apps were transmitted to schools (I think it was jun28-jul1 i forget the exact day). Many more people are keen are getting their apps in day 1 as the years go by (there were graphs of user compiled data by lucca im too lazy to find). Ideally you have your score in hand to know its worth submitting in the first place as you become a reapplicant the minute your app is verified in case you were to have an unsuccessful cycle/mcat and have to delay to the next cycle. That makes the exam just before May 9 the last possible date for an exam where you would receive your score before submitting to be very early in submitting to schools.

thx
You would have to know your MCAT at least a month in advance so the latest for you would be early May or late April.

I would shoot for an April date because while a June 12th submission is not late, it takes a very long time for apps to be verified so it's more ideal to submit May 30th.