Final Results of RTOG 9601 published - practice changing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gfunk6

And to think . . . I hesitated
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Published yesterday in NEJM (http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1607529)

They took men with PSA failure after prostatectomy and performed a placebo-controlled, double-blind trial of prostate bed XRT with or without 24 months of biclutamide.

12 year OS = 76% with biclutamide, 71% without
Similar statistically significant results were seen when looking at prostate cancer specific survival and development of metastatic disease.

The main side effect was gynecomastia.

I wonder if we can extrapolate these results to use of Lupron instead of bicultamide?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Nicely spotted, thanks.
Personally, I think Lupron side effects are worse so I would not try to substitute.

Nicely spotted, thanks.
Personally, I think Lupron side effects are worse so I would not try to substitute.

That's interesting. I always thought the opposite. I think both can cause hepatotoxicity but always thought Casodex had higher chance for that. I haven't done a big lit review though. I may need to re-evaluate this in my practice. Would be interested to see what others do.

I have been extrapolating and using Lupron in my practice (or often the urologists have already started it by the time they come to me for whatever reason). I believe RTOG 0534 uses complete blockade with both Lupron and Casodex together for 4-6 months if I remember correctly.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's just Lupron puts you in full blown "andropause", which sucks

It's just Lupron puts you in full blown "andropause", which sucks

I never really saw much difference between Lupron vs. Casodex for those types of symptoms, but maybe I'll start changing.

Back in training a few years ago we always just used 30 days of Casodex with the first Luprolide to prevent flair then just did lurpolide alone for all short or long term ADT cases.

No doubt andropause sucks though. Some men don't mind it, but I swear it takes the life out of some guys and it's a shame to see.

Last edited:
Anecdotally I would agree Casodex is much better tolerated than Lupron

Sent from my Pixel using SDN mobile

That's interesting. I always thought the opposite. I think both can cause hepatotoxicity but always thought Casodex had higher chance for that. I haven't done a big lit review though. I may need to re-evaluate this in my practice. Would be interested to see what others do.

I have been extrapolating and using Lupron in my practice (or often the urologists have already started it by the time they come to me for whatever reason). I believe RTOG 0534 uses complete blockade with both Lupron and Casodex together for 4-6 months if I remember correctly.
I felt similar, will usually start with a loading dose of firmagon to avoid needing casodex at all before switching to lupron.

Was planning on extrapolating data to lupron, but it's interesting seeing how many people are pro casodex in the thread

So who are you all planning to offer to? All salvage cases? Will u use a certain PSA cutoff? I believe mean PSA at initiation of treatment was 0.6. what if 0.1?

Reactions: 1 user
I felt similar, will usually start with a loading dose of firmagon to avoid needing casodex at all before switching to lupron.

Was planning on extrapolating data to lupron, but it's interesting seeing how many people are pro casodex in the thread

agree, can we get some clarification here. I was under the impression that lurpron is better tolerated. Maybe just easier bc its once q3-6 months?

edit: ok I just saw the publication above, thank you. Interesting to know. Why is it that in high risk patients alot of people recommend 4 months lupron + casodex then lupron alone for the duration of 2 years?

Also, this is 2 years of ADT. Is there anything on 6 months of ADT in this setting?

Last edited:
agree, can we get some clarification here. I was under the impression that lurpron is better tolerated. Maybe just easier bc its once q3-6 months?

edit: ok I just saw the publication above, thank you. Interesting to know. Why is it that in high risk patients alot of people recommend 4 months lupron + casodex then lupron alone for the duration of 2 years?

Also, this is 2 years of ADT. Is there anything on 6 months of ADT in this setting?

GETUG 16 is your data on 6 months of ADT. At 5 years there was a significant PSA control benefit only. Will survival follow with longer follow-up? Time will tell. i am now offering at least 6 months to all salvage patients and pushing for 2 years in higher risk patients. One caveat to both these studies is the RT dose was low and good retrospective studies show that influences PSA control, but not survival.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/27160475/?i=3&from=getug 16

. Why is it that in high risk patients alot of people recommend 4 months lupron + casodex then lupron alone for the duration of 2 years?

To blunt the androgen flare from lupron when you initially give it as it is a GnRH agonist that turns the switch on strongly before overloading it.

Firmagon is a monthly GnRH antagonist that immediately causes suppression without the flare phenomenon hence no casodex needed.

Some believe that casodex provides additional peripheral androgen suppression and therefore combine it long term with lupron

People are jumping to conlusions way too soon...

I understand the "hype" with the final results of RTOG 9601 being published, but:

1. It's called RTOG 9601, for a reason. The protocol was written in 1996. I was in high school back then...

2. Patient in late 90s, early 00s eligible for salvage RT often:
- had inadequate staging (as in RTOG 9601) by today's standards. No MRI done before salvage RT, no PET-scan (as practiced in many places today)
- were treated with 3D-conformal techniques without adequate daily controls of hitting the target. What we see today as an increased in local control with the same dose of radiation treatment is also part of actually hitting the (whole) target every day, since we can perform CBCTs. We certainly occasionally missed the target in the 90s and early 00s. Thus the additional effect of a systemic treatment in terms of local control can also be attributed to us being unable to safely hit the target every day.
- were treated with rather low doses of salvage RT, in the case of RTOG 9601 with 64.8 Gy (with 1.8 Gy/d). We generally give 66 Gy + today, I know several colleagues who give 70 Gy to all and go even higher in high-risk scenarios.
The 1.8 Gy/d actually mean that the equivalent dose with 2 Gy/fraction is probably even lower than 62 Gy (depending on which a/b you use, something which has led to the whole hypofractionation hype in the past years, since many prostate cancers probably have a rather low a/b). Thus 64.8 Gy delivered in 1.8 Gy/d are probably quite a low dose by today's standards.
- had very little other than hormonal treatment in case of progression. The same applies to the RTOG 9601-patients. Failure in the non-hormones arm meant they could get hormones, then they died. Few probably got chemo, but options were limited. Todays patients have 5 lines of possible systemic treatment in the castration-refractory disease setting (enzalutamid, abiraterone, docetaxel, cabazitaxel, alpharadin) and more are being tested (metformin, immunotherapy, etc...). All these treatment options would make a survival benefit less apparent was the trial run again today.

Now let's a look at the subgroups of RTOG 9601:
I generally dislike subgroup analyses, but if you take a look at the full paper you will see that ONLY patients with a PSA > 0.7 ng/ml profitted from the hormonal treatment. The ones that had a PSA <0.7 ng/ml before salvage RT did not profit at all. In fact, it seems placebo was even better for them (although not statistically significant, but provoking in terms of possible increased cardiovascular events etc in the group with hormomes, which may lead to increased mortality).
This finding was not highlighted enough, in my opinion, by the authors. Post-hoc subgroup analyses are not ideal, but if you divide the whole group of patients to PSA < or > 0.7 ng/ml at salvage RT, you end up with two groups of 405 and 355 patients respectively. One group is not profitting, the other is. This is not a "small" subgroup analysis.

Interestingly if you look at the full paper you will see that 48 patients in the placebo-group progressed during the 24-month-period of placebo. If you exclude all the other patients that were allocated to that group but did not complete treatment you end up with 188 patients, out of which apparently 41 progressed over the 24 month period.
Now, from my experience, salvage-RT patients
a) either progress immediately after salvage-RT because of a microscopic tumor deposit outside of the fields (microscopic lymph node metastasis or bone metastasis), some call them the "primary failures", meaning salvage-RT missed the target.
b) or they progress locally several years after treatment, because the dose was apparently inadequate to control the disease.
In RTOG 9601 these "primary failures" accounted for over 25% of all patients in the placebo group. This means that quite a lot of the patients harbored disease outside the prostatic fossa at the time of inclusion. In my experience not that many patients are "primary failures" in today's practice. Perhaps rather 10%.

Thus when you try to extrapolate this into today's practice you can actually say that hormonal treatment is good in addition to salvage RT in case your patients comes for salvage RT with a PSA >0.7 ng/ml.
Which means that either a) you urologist b) your patient c) you, yourself FAILED to get the patient to RT at a prior timepoint, which we already know is ESSENTIAL for long lasting remissions (PSA <0.5 ng/ml, some claim even lower).
Now from the 15 or so salvage RT-patients I saw last year, only 2 had a PSA >0.7ng/ml. And both of them had macroscopic recurrent disease when staged (MRI and PET-CT). One had a local recurrence (which neither I nor the urologist noticed on DRE) and one had lymph node metastases in the pelvis. I treated both with high-dose RT (70 Gy) + hormones.

Now take a look at the PSMA-data (Eiber, et al NEJM).
In patients with PSA 0.5-1.0 ng/ml detection rates of macroscopic disease with PSMA-PET are >70%. This means that in more than half of the patients in RTOG 9601 (if the trial was done again today and PSMA-PET-CT performed at inclusion) the PET result would come out positive. Would you still be comfortable in treating a patient with a macroscopic recurrence in the prostate or a lymph node metastasis or a bone metastasis with 64.8/1.8 to the prostatic fossa?

Now, I am not saying that we did not learn anything from RTOG 9601. I am not saying that the trial is rubbish. I am simply arguing that you should NOT offer hormones to ALL your patients based on this trial.
You can safely ommit it in patients coming to you with a low PSA (I would probably say <0.5 ng/ml, but based on the trial you could also argue for <0.7 ng/ml). And you should (if you can) perform staging before you deliver treatment.
We generally perform MRI and choline-PET-CT fpr patients with a PSA >0.5 ng/ml. I generally do these exams in lower PSA-levels too in case the patient had a rather low PSA compared to his disease extent before surgery (so if I get a patient with a big pT3b who only had a PSA of 8 ng/ml before surgery, I will also order the exams at lower PSA-levels than 0.5 ng/ml, since this is obviously a low-PSA-producing disease)
We recently gained access to PSMA-PET-CT and are now sending all are patients with PSA >0.2 ng/ml for PSMA-PET scans prior to salvage RT. My experience is rather limited yet.

If you see macroscopic local recurrence treat it aggressively with 70Gy, go higher if you want to. Give hormones. Give them as long as you would give them in the primary setting (so if it was a Gleason 7 on surgery, give it 4-6 months. If it was a Gleason 9, give it for 3 years). I'd also consider chemo in young, high-risk patients with GS 9-10. It seems to work in the primary setting, why shouldn't it work in the macroscopic-recurrence setting? Treat nodes in the pelvis, if any pop-up in the MRI or PET scan. I also occasionally treat cN0 patients with pelvic RT, if I feel the lymphadenectomy was not sufficient and it's a high-risk patient.
If you don't see macroscopic disease and the PSA is >0.5/0.7 ng/ml, then sure, RTOG 9601 makes sense. You can give hormones then.

Last edited:
People are jumping to conlusions way too soon...

Good points.

We only have fdg pet/ct in my neck of the woods and payors have started covering it for recurrent prostate ca after primary therapy. That being said, I felt (and still feel) ok with the standard workup of CT A/P and whole body bone scan prior to offering salvage xrt and have been using 70.2Gy/39 Fx as my standard dose with good results so far, adding adt in for 4-6 months on a case by case basis, may do it more considering this trial.

I've started sending my good PS patients with intact high risk PCa to med onc for chemo opinions. Not sure I'd make the jump to post op high risk until there is data or it's at least mentioned in the nccn guidelines

Excellent discussion here, thanks all for the input.

I will definitely look into casodex alone in this setting.

What I've been doing (sounds similar to what Radtothebone is doing as well) is for what I perceive as higher risk salvage/adjuvant patients (high gleason score, PSA > 0.50), I've been discussing RTOG and GETUG trials. Generally I've been giving at least 6 months ADT and evaluating tolerance (weight gain, hot flashes, Hg A1C, gynecomastia, andropause, etc) and giving longer if they're tolerating it.

I haven't been discussing as much ADT with what I perceive as lower risk like a post op Gleason 6, very low PSA (say less than 0.4). Maybe I should be (wouldn't blame anyone if they did), but to me at present it's hard to justify long term hormones in that kind of a patient.

I think it's hard to be dogmatic about this when there are so many open questions/variables like Palex points at above. I think 6 months is reasonable given the GETUG trial and given it was considered an option on the present RTOG trial.

There has been good discussion of this on TheMedNet (https://www.themednet.org/index.php/question/878). Dr. Sandler for instance favors 4-6 months of Lupron for PSA 0.4-1.0 for now, for instance while Dr. Tward favors 6 months of bicalutamide for what seems like the vast majority of salvage patients.

Last edited: