FINAL WAMC - School List Help!!!! - URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc8a

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What type of Hispanic are you? What is your State are you a resident of?

What type of Hispanic are you? What is your State are you a resident of?
Central American, NY. I know some say that Central Americans aren't considered URMs. I've spoken to a few admissions counselors and they said "most" hispanic/latinos are considered URMs for their schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Strike out UColorado and Rutgers (state schools that accept few OOS apps)

For URM when looking at the MSAR, your are competitive for schools for which your MCAT falls between the reported 25% percentile and median. Schools for which your MCAT is bellow their reported 10th percentile are reaches (still possible but way less likely, I wouldn't apply to schools where you are more than 2 points bellow their 10th percentile)

As is, the majority of your list seems pretty top heavy. If I were in your shoes I'd apply to:

All your state schools
Target Schools
  • Dartmouth
  • Georgetown
  • University of Miami
  • Tufts
  • Wake Forest
  • Temple
  • Albany
  • George Washington
  • Thomas Jefferson
  • UPitt
  • UCLA
I'd also add
  • Hofstra
  • Duke
  • Boston
  • Emory
  • Rochester
  • Icahn
  • Case
Reach schools:
Add however many your willing to pay for from the first 11 you listed (the closer you are to their 10th percentile MCAT for matriculants the better)

It is fine to aim high if you have the funds for extra apps. @Goro and @Faha would give you the best advice.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Of the top tier schools you listed, I would keep Columbia and Mount Sinai because of your strong ties. From your list, the schools with the highest MCAT averages are Hopkins and Cornell (519), Northwestern and UChicago (520), and NYU (521) so keep that in mind. I would keep Harvard, Pitt, Mayo and Case Western.

Reactions: 1 user
Of the top tier schools you listed, I would keep Columbia and Mount Sinai because of your strong ties. From your list, the schools with the highest MCAT averages are Hopkins and Cornell (519), Northwestern and UChicago (520), and NYU (521) so keep that in mind. I would keep Harvard, Pitt, Mayo and Case Western.
Thank you, this is the kind of feedback I wanted to get back.

Strike out UColorado and Rutgers (state schools that accept few OOS apps)

For URM when looking at the MSAR, your are competitive for schools for which your MCAT falls between the reported 25% percentile and median. Schools for which your MCAT is bellow their reported 10th percentile are reaches (still possible but way less likely, I wouldn't apply to schools where you are more than 2 points bellow their 10th percentile)

As is, the majority of your list seems pretty top heavy. If I were in your shoes I'd apply to:

All your state schools
Target Schools
  • Dartmouth
  • Georgetown
  • University of Miami
  • Tufts
  • Wake Forest
  • Temple
  • Albany
  • George Washington
  • Thomas Jefferson
  • UPitt
  • UCLA
I'd also add
  • Hofstra
  • Duke
  • Boston
  • Emory
  • Rochester
  • Icahn
  • Case
Reach schools:
Add however many your willing to pay for from the first 11 you listed (the closer you are to their 10th percentile MCAT for matriculants the better)

It is fine to aim high if you have the funds for extra apps. @Goro and @Faha would give you the best advice.
Thank you for your help!