MD Finalizing my list, please comment on my choices! FREE PIZZA!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WFU2015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is a troll or not but I'll give the benefit of the doubt here.

Emory, Duke, USC, UVA, Boston U, Dartmouth and Brown aren't realistic.

Here is what I would look into
Brody
UNC
Miami
Tufts
Wake Forest
Eastern Virginia
VCU
G'town
GW
Drexel
Loyola
Tulane
NYMC
Creighton
WVU
Rosalind
Rush
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland
Quinnipac
Western Michigan

Also if you in fact do decide to "turn down an MD" acceptance don't think for a second that you'll ever get another one again, be it from Harvard or any school you might deem too inferior for you. Nobody, even a 4.0/39 is above turning down MD acceptances because the only schools that took them "weren't good enough for them", nonetheless a rather typical 3.6/31 applicant. And no 3.6/31 applicant is close to any kind of lock for any school, even a state school like Brody that has over 900 applicants and only needs to accept 120 people to fill their class. Keep some perspective as always. Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Pay careful attention to Grapo's post, and add DO schools to the list, because beggars can't be choosy. Start with CUSOM and PCOM-GA.

If you don't want to attend a school, don't apply to it.

Re: the bolded; Attitude tends to prompt that from us.

Also consider SLU, Jefferson, Temple, Albany, Tufts

Yeah not trolling, as I said I realize my list is a bit top heavy and that I am simply an average applicant. Appreciate your input nonetheless, although I did feel like I was being scolded by my mother at some points haha

In regards to turning down an MD, I just don't want to go to a school that is super new, the idea makes me a bit uneasy. It was merely a "please don't suggest California Northstate" kind of a sentence. I don't believe myself to be above much and realize I'll have to work hard just to get in somewhere average.

Some of those unrealistic ones I'll keep as a longshot because of the X-factor reasons as to why I'm applying (ex: duke). I realize I'm just burning money, but the "hey you never know" part of me is making me still apply.

If anybody else has suggestions for realistic schools to add, or more schools to cut, please feel free to post. It is extremely helpful for me and I'll be very grateful.

Yeah not trolling, as I said I realize my list is a bit top heavy and that I am simply an average applicant. Appreciate your input nonetheless, although I did feel like I was being scolded by my mother at some points haha

In regards to turning down an MD, I just don't want to go to a school that is super new, the idea makes me a bit uneasy. It was merely a "please don't suggest California Northstate" kind of a sentence. I don't believe myself to be above much and realize I'll have to work hard just to get in somewhere average.

Some of those unrealistic ones I'll keep as a longshot because of the X-factor reasons as to why I'm applying (ex: duke). I realize I'm just burning money, but the "hey you never know" part of me is making me still apply.

If anybody else has suggestions for realistic schools to add, or more schools to cut, please feel free to post. It is extremely helpful for me and I'll be very grateful.

Instead of getting into a pissing match about how stupid it sounds to say I'm too good for Quinnipac or Creighton all I'll say is do not apply to a school you would not end up going to. Because the worst thing you can possibly do for yourself is to end up at the end of this cycle with only an acceptance at a "Creighton" type, decide you don't want to go there and then apply again next cycle. You will never become an MD in the US if you do that.

Reactions: 1 user
If you don't want to attend a school, don't apply to it.
Because the worst thing you can possibly do for yourself is to end up at the end of this cycle with only an acceptance at a "Creighton" type, decide you don't want to go there and then apply again next cycle. You will never become an MD in the US if you do that.

The point has to be really driven into every single applicant who is serious in applying to medical school. Apply only to schools you are interested, where you feel comfortable staying if that was your only acceptance etc. Now it doesn't mean you can pull a #yolo and shoot only for Top 20s. Applying smart obviously matters, so use the MSAR, school websites/mission statements/secondaries to show that you really like the school etc.

Sad to say, many applicants throw this critical advice out the window and in May/June of the following year, we get a bunch of threads saying "Got a DO acceptance, should I reapply MD?" etc.

Reactions: 2 users