Finally...first interview almost 5 months after getting licensed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ft. Meyers is great. I lived there for a summer when I was a teenager and I thought it was a great place.

Members don't see this ad.

No - I have not been promised or guaranteed anything. I have just worked for the same company since I was a teenager, and during that time I have made a lot of contacts. I have a lot of people that I can rely on, and a lot of people that can rely on me.

I am fortunate to have the support of my peers, and part of this support is being excited for me when I graduate. I know that my network will pay off when I graduate. I will likely work for the same company for my entire life. (sweet extra benefits)

This is the benefit of having work experience, which is the advice that I offered to the OP.
I'm confused why you're projecting your own circumstances and experiences onto everyone else.

Just because you have worked at the same pharmacy for a long time and made connections there, or you live in an area where there isn't a large saturation of pharmacy schools doesn't mean the entire field of pharmacy is a promising gold mine of opportunities for everyone else. The issue of raising standards for opening new pharmacy schools to deter the "for profit" mind set in the way of law schools and Phoenix Universities to stem the flow of new grads is pretty important (in my opinion) and I've preached this for a long time, but not many people seem to agree with me or want to do anything about it. They have a similar outlook to you, that pharmacy is "fine."

I'm scared to death that I won't match to a residency with the abysmal match rates even with work experience, and god only knows if I'm going to have a job after that.

I'm confused why you're projecting your own circumstances and experiences onto everyone else.

Just because you have worked at the same pharmacy for a long time and made connections there, or you live in an area where there isn't a large saturation of pharmacy schools doesn't mean the entire field of pharmacy is a promising gold mine of opportunities for everyone else. The issue of raising standards for opening new pharmacy schools to deter the "for profit" mind set in the way of law schools and Phoenix Universities to stem the flow of new grads is pretty important (in my opinion) and I've preached this for a long time, but not many people seem to agree with me or want to do anything about it. They have a similar outlook to you, that pharmacy is "fine."

I'm scared to death that I won't match to a residency with the abysmal match rates even with work experience, and god only knows if I'm going to have a job after that.

I have not worked in a pharmacy for a long time.

I think I have given up on arguing these points. I have come to the conclusion that the majority of the people that are very negative about the future of the pharmD have very little to no experience when it comes to the job market outside of pharmacy. Especially when it comes to making your way in the world with no job skills or education.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have not worked in a pharmacy for a long time.

I think I have given up on arguing these points. I have come to the conclusion that the majority of the people that are very negative about the future of the pharmD have very little to no experience when it comes to the job market outside of pharmacy. Especially when it comes to making your way in the world with no job skills or education.

The forever optomistic pre-pharm strikes again! I don't know where you get your information but my classmates are some of the smartest and ambitious people I know.

The forever optomistic pre-pharm strikes again! I don't know where you get your information but my classmates are some of the smartest and ambitious people I know.

Well you are one of the biggest internet snobs that I know so.... Perhaps this personalty defect that you seem to suffer from is clouding your judgement.

And - I said nothing about their smarts/ambition. I said that many of them might lack real world experience. I do not mean that as an insult, I just believe that someone who has had to hustle and compete for that awesome 15 dollar an hour job might have a more clear opinion. I would venture to say that the majority of those that are ultra negative have not had that experience.

Well you are one of the biggest internet snobs that I know so.... Perhaps this personalty defect that you seem to suffer from is clouding your judgement.

And - I said nothing about their smarts/ambition. I said that many of them might lack real world experience. I do not mean that as an insult, I just believe that someone who has had to hustle and compete for that awesome 15 dollar an hour job might have a more clear opinion. I would venture to say that the majority of those that are ultra negative have not had that experience.

Agreed. They may be smart, but pharmacy students in general seem to be one of the more clueless groups when it comes to the real world. You dont have to look farther than SDN ! (although of course sdn selects for the reclusive and weirder of us)

Getting a job and succeeding in impressing people in the business and 'real' world, is a much different skill than memorizing and understanding clinical knowledge. Thus it follows logically that the group of pharm students who are unprepared with this skillset would be overly gloom-and-doom , and the group of us who are actually more ready with regard to this would probably downplay any job market worries.

So you have 2 groups saying wildly different things and nothing gets done or agreed upon.

Agreed. They may be smart, but pharmacy students in general seem to be one of the more clueless groups when it comes to the real world. You dont have to look farther than SDN ! (although of course sdn selects for the reclusive and weirder of us)

Getting a job and succeeding in impressing people in the business and 'real' world, is a much different skill than memorizing and understanding clinical knowledge. Thus it follows logically that the group of pharm students who are unprepared with this skillset would be overly gloom-and-doom , and the group of us who are actually more ready with regard to this would probably downplay any job market worries.

So you have 2 groups saying wildly different things and nothing gets done or agreed upon.
Weirdo!

2 extremes here. Pojman, you decided to leave another profession to choose pharmacy which is probably why you are overly enthusiastic about it, because its the decision you made. You're also still a pre-pharm so you're not in pharmacy school yet and trust me when you're doing pharmacy "full-time'" 50+ hours a week interacting with older students/faculty and being immersed in the field you get a vibe for how bad things really are, and where the trend is headed. I highly recommend you enter pharmacy school with a "concerned" mindset rather than "yay" mindset so you don't get disappointed. A lot of students who graduated last year from this top 10 school don't have jobs yet. Some are floating or part-timing. And our student body is very active and involved. Even # of internships are declining. A hospital that is notorious for hiring 6-7 interns every year only took 3 this year, one that always takes 4 dropped to 3 this year....whereas the 3rd or 4th yr students were able to hold 2 internships if they really wanted, most likely there wll be people in my class who don't have internships. Yes maybe they won't be the hustlers but that's NOW. what's it gonna be like in 5 years? only 4.0's and previous techs get internships? which will probably be unpaid by that point.

for example, CVS recruiter told me 3 years ago she hired 45/45 interns. 2 years ago, 30 interns were hired...last year....15....what's it gonna be like NEXT YEAR? 4 -5 years from now when you and I graduate? and cvs is supposed to be the company that hires everyone!!

another example, DOP of small hospital told me he only hires PGY2s now. and he doesnt have a residency done himself even though he graduated like 5-6 years ago.

I do agree pharmacy students are not business/hustler minded...I feel like the type A/hustler personalities interested in healthcare go to med school and the humbler/quieter personalities go to pharm school. But that doensn't mean they are 100% incapable of not functioning in the real word trying to find jobs and interviewing lol. at least not at my school not sure about those new schools that accept anyone :p

2 extremes here. Pojman, you decided to leave another profession to choose pharmacy which is probably why you are overly enthusiastic about it, because its the decision you made. You're also still a pre-pharm so you're not in pharmacy school yet and trust me when you're doing pharmacy "full-time'" 50+ hours a week interacting with older students/faculty and being immersed in the field you get a vibe for how bad things really are, and where the trend is headed. I highly recommend you enter pharmacy school with a "concerned" mindset rather than "yay" mindset so you don't get disappointed. A lot of students who graduated last year from this top 10 school don't have jobs yet. Some are floating or part-timing. And our student body is very active and involved. Even # of internships are declining. A hospital that is notorious for hiring 6-7 interns every year only took 3 this year, one that always takes 4 dropped to 3 this year....whereas the 3rd or 4th yr students were able to hold 2 internships if they really wanted, most likely there wll be people in my class who don't have internships. Yes maybe they won't be the hustlers but that's NOW. what's it gonna be like in 5 years? only 4.0's and previous techs get internships? which will probably be unpaid by that point.

for example, CVS recruiter told me 3 years ago she hired 45/45 interns. 2 years ago, 30 interns were hired...last year....15....what's it gonna be like NEXT YEAR? 4 -5 years from now when you and I graduate? and cvs is supposed to be the company that hires everyone!!

another example, DOP of small hospital told me he only hires PGY2s now. and he doesnt have a residency done himself even though he graduated like 5-6 years ago.

I do agree pharmacy students are not business/hustler minded...I feel like the type A/hustler personalities interested in healthcare go to med school and the humbler/quieter personalities go to pharm school. But that doensn't mean they are 100% incapable of not functioning in the real word trying to find jobs and interviewing lol. at least not at my school not sure about those new schools that accept anyone :p
:whistle: :smuggrin:

I don't find anything desirable about NYC. Most of the architecture is at least a few hundred years old and the city is gloomy. Concrete meets the eye everywhere and rats infest the subways.

Do you like to see trash piled up on the streets? I hope not- because that's exactly what you find in NYC. SHC, stop watching "Sex and the City" or some other nonsense program on tv, it is not in tune with reality.

Totally agreed. When I toured NYC for the first time a few years ago, I thought to myself: "Really, people call this the "greatest city in the world?!'". FTS! People who thought that way either watch too much TV series filmed at NYC or grow up in this country and have never traveled to foreign metropolitans in their life. Toward the end of my trip, I was so disgusted by NYC that I left a restaurant without paying my bill.

Hey
I went through the same exact thing a few months ago at a company simillar to CVS. The DM asked me when I could start, asked what my restrictions are, what hours are best for me I had felt like she gave me the job and then said I will look at the available hours and call you tomorrow and she never did..after calling many times i finally got the answer and it was a NO
I just always try to stay positive maybe it was not good for me
so my advice to you is something better might be coming your way :)
Brightlight, I am 100% sure I heard him correctly the first time- I'll call you back by the end of today. Not tomorrow, in a few days, or next week. Here's the interesting part: I interviewed for about 35 minutes and then he handed me an employment application to fill out. Considering he manages almost twenty CVS pharmacies in the district and his time is valuable, why in the hell would he want to waste his time having me fill out an employment form? Perhaps, I am over-analyzing his every move, but if I were a district manager not interested in an applicant, I wouldn't waste 35 minutes to interview AND then ask the job seeker to fill out the application. Completing the application took me almost 20 minutes because of ongoing conversation we were having about the company and some informal conversation about where he went to school, etc.

I did some research online about signs of a good interview and I definitely saw these signs. Number one: The interview was lengthy. As I said, I wasn't there for 20 minutes. One hour is quite a while. Number two: The interviewer asked questions indicating he might be interested in hiring me; one of those questions was "When can you start?" and "What hours would you like?" I explained I could start Monday or any day next week, as I am moving back to my home state and needed a few days. I also told him I was flexible with hours and that I would work based on availability. Number three may be irrelevant, but even his handshake was firm at the end of the interview. According to research, a firm handshake at the end of an interview is indicative of being strongly considered and counts as a "See you soon, welcome" whereas a dead fish handshake is equivalent to stating "Nice to meet you, but please go".

We'll see what happens. I'm guessing signs don't always mean anything and that it truly is unpredictable to determine the final outcome of an interview in advance. The only fool-proof method of knowing anything is if you are offered the job on the spot.

Members don't see this ad :)
This thread makes me even happier that I decided to retire.

:oops:

Hey
I went through the same exact thing a few months ago at a company simillar to CVS. The DM asked me when I could start, asked what my restrictions are, what hours are best for me I had felt like she gave me the job and then said I will look at the available hours and call you tomorrow and she never did..after calling many times i finally got the answer and it was a NO
I just always try to stay positive maybe it was not good for me
so my advice to you is something better might be coming your way :)

Think, you are absolutely right and I have believed the same thing as well: In the worst case scenario, should I not be hired at CVS, I would consider it a blessing in disguise. I am a fast learner and know I would be capable of learning the system and dealing with the ins and outs of retail pharmacy, but honestly, I've read so much crap about CVS and have heard so many personal anecdotes about this company, that I have some reservations about working for them. Call me blind, but I don't think I've read nearly as many complaints about other chains, especially Walgreens, Target, and others. I would think Walgreens is as terrible as CVS on a similar scale, but I haven't read anything. It's always CVS. CVS this, CVS that. CVS getting sued. But, back to what I was saying, I'm going to hold out and see what happens.

"You have friends that told you to move out of state."

We never said move out of state. We said get another license in another state, so that if there is a job in that state you have the chance to get it. You don't move to another state without a job. But anyway, you're very hardheaded. You're just starting out. You haven't learned that it is wise to take into consideration the advice from people who have experience.

It's better to have more than one iron in the fire, or in other words, don't put all your eggs in one basket. In any case it's always best when people learn things through their own experiences.

Your ex-neighbor from NOVA University, Fort Lauderdale, FL

Mich

Think, you are absolutely right and I have believed the same thing as well: In the worst case scenario, should I not be hired at CVS, I would consider it a blessing in disguise. I am a fast learner and know I would be capable of learning the system and dealing with the ins and outs of retail pharmacy, but honestly, I've read so much crap about CVS and have heard so many personal anecdotes about this company, that I have some reservations about working for them. Call me blind, but I don't think I've read nearly as many complaints about other chains, especially Walgreens, Target, and others. I would think Walgreens is as terrible as CVS on a similar scale, but I haven't read anything. It's always CVS. CVS this, CVS that. CVS getting sued. But, back to what I was saying, I'm going to hold out and see what happens.

you are right about CVS and its reputation. anyways I hope you get the job but if you don't consider it a blessing!! I still do not have a full time job I have a part time position, but I have an interview coming up soon. Hopefully it goes well :) I am licensed in one state and also working on the license for a neighboring state just to improve my chances. anyways GOOD luck :)

Well, my battle appears to be half over, at least in terms of getting a job offer in my location of choice. The other half of the battle is maintaining my position and doing my job well to the best of my ability. After two interviews and 4-5 months of little to no money, depression, and disillusionment with the job search, I was offered a position at CVS.

I had my second interview on Monday and thought I performed even better than during my first interview. I've never had any problems with interviews and tend to feel very relaxed while going through them, but the DM assured me she would be contacting me on Wednesday evening (yesterday) with a decision. I naively believed she would probably stick to her word because she wrote me an e-mail with the follow up date. As usual, I learned the hard way that something usually stands in their way and delays these managers and did not get a call at all yesterday evening.

I was so frustrated and infuriated. The first DM from the first interview lied to me TWICE. He said he would call me the same day of the interview, at the end of that day (that was last Wednesday). When I called him the following day reminding him of my expectation to follow up, he explained he was still interviewing other applicants and that he would call me Monday. Well, it's Thursday, and the guy NEVER called back. How rude and unprofessional! I was nearly 100% sure neither interview worked out and that I wasted my time on both of them only to have no offers in the end. But then I decided I have nothing to lose and called the second DM this afternoon, identified myself, and mentioned I was expecting to get in touch with her yesterday evening. She explained she had a delay and could not get back to me then and that she was about to call me to offer me a position at one of her stores. I could not believe it. I was like a dehydrated man in the desert hoping for a single drop of water. I could not believe I finally had an offer AND in a desirable location. And though I don't know all the details just yet, from what she said, the position appears to be in one store and not as a floater. I could be wrong about this, but I was still processing what she was telling me and did not ask for the details yet. She explained that I will be hearing all the details in the next few days and to stay put.

She asked me if I needed some time off because of the holiday season rapidly approaching and I assured her I would be here and ready to start working. I don't mind missing out on the holidays this year even though this would be my first time missing out in my 26 years of existence. The way I see it, getting a job in the location I've been fighting to stay in is my Christmas gift this year. At the rate everything is going, I'll probably start working as a pharmacist for my first day around December 21st. I don't need any other gifts. I just needed a job. I've had 4-5 months of vacation, if you want to call it that, with all the time in the world and do not care if I have to work the holidays. In fact, as a professional, I expect working on holidays and understand that most people in this country are limited to two weeks of vacation per year. As a matter of fact, that is exactly what I told her during the interview when she was explaining to me that she has had problems with pharmacists who want every holiday off. I fully understand that once people enter the real world, they are slaves to the system and will spend most of their adult lives at work with only two weeks off annually (maybe 4 if you're working for the government) and that's it. (I obviously didn't express my full views, etc...), but I think it's true. I know a variety of people from other countries, one from Germany actually, and she has told me everyone gets 6 weeks of paid vacation over there and in most of Europe. So, I really do understand how things work in the US. Work, work, work. And you know what? I'm fine with that because though time off was FUN at first and I would go out a lot, it became a nightmare over time. Cheers to me and happy holidays to all of you SDNers!

Last edited:
What's even more amazing is that I applied ALL OVER the state and never heard a peep from anyone, including all the rural areas and towns, and I somehow managed to hear from what are considered very desirable cities in Florida. Miami, Fort Lauderdale, and the Palm Beaches constitute South Florida and it is almost IMPOSSIBLE to find work here, especially if you have no experience like me. I don't know if God was on my side or what, but one thing I've learned is never settle for less than what you truly want. And, sometimes, getting what you want comes with a price. I've been miserable for months and have lost weight I didn't even need to lose just from lack of appetite and misery. In other words, I have suffered greatly and that is the PRICE I was willing to pay. I was willing to go through hell and back to stay and not move.

Congrats!!!!!! I am so glad you didn't have to relocate to a crappy place!

congrats! your hard work paid off!! welcome to the real world =)

Nice!

I feel like I've met a virtual twin.

I'm also 26, had no real experience, was a new grad and had no job offer when I graduated. I got licensed back in July and was miserable for months being jobless then got a random interview and offer for a retail position at a location not too far from home a month ago. I live in a very saturated location as well. Just in time too, because I had to start paying off my loans!

I've come to believe that I got my offer because all the desirable hires got picked up in early spring/summer so they didn't need anyone. Then comes the fall/winter season and with slim pickings they look to us who are already licensed to fill in the retirees/quitters/relocates.

It's all about patience.

Nice!

I feel like I've met a virtual twin.

I'm also 26, had no real experience, was a new grad and had no job offer when I graduated. I got licensed back in July and was miserable for months being jobless then got a random interview and offer for a retail position at a location not too far from home a month ago. I live in a very saturated location as well. Just in time too, because I had to start paying off my loans!

I've come to believe that I got my offer because all the desirable hires got picked up in early spring/summer so they didn't need anyone. Then comes the fall/winter season and with slim pickings they look to us who are already licensed to fill in the retirees/quitters/relocates.

It's all about patience.

Well, it's certainly nice to know I was not the only one in the same boat. For most people, it is hard to fathom what it is like to be jobless after going to school for so long. I have friends and acquaintances from class who acknowledge me now for my perseverance in waiting until I get what I want. I think I taught most of them a lesson about not lowering your standards and settling. However, I also recognize that I can afford to be this way because I do not have a family or any type of responsibilities other than myself. In a way, not having a family is a blessing in disguise because I could hold out for as long as I want. I also realize and know many people with no family obligations who would quit and not hold out long enough to wait until they get what they want, but then again, I am not one of them. I have almost always obtained what I want in life simply because of how hard-headed I am and while it can bring on headaches, my perseverance usually pays off in the end. As the saying goes, "Good things come to those who wait". My patience was rewarded. I am not saying CVS is a dream job because I don't believe in such a thing and a job is a job is a job. My highest goal and priority was avoiding relocation. I looked at relocation with extreme contempt, but perhaps I am just insane. I would say about 95% of my class, including those with experience, had to relocate to undesirable areas. I certainly understand society does not owe me anything in life, including a job, and much less my location of choice. But, as I said, I was willing to do what it takes and deal with adversity, criticism by friends and acquaintances, and other "naysayers". Hell, my loans even went into repayment and I had to defer them nearly a month ago. I beat the odds and did not become another statistic who moved to an agricultural area with a population of 5,000. I also had some luck on my side. I say all of this with the utmost humility because this experience has changed me. I have changed from someone who takes everything for granted in life to someone who now sees greater value in just about anything. I was used to having money ALL the time, whether I work or not, and everything changed to suddenly having only enough for basics and not for luxuries, as I have been accustomed. When I see my first paychecks and have money to go out, enjoy a nice dinner, or whatever, I will really enjoy it and appreciate it all the more. Congrats to you for holding out and finding a job in your location of choice. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Hey,
Many many congrats I am really happy that things worked out for you!!!! and GUESS WHAT???? I also got a job at a great great company and I am so thrilled and amazed. All I hope now is to live up to their expectations and not make a fool of my self. Even though I am licensed I do find that I am weak on some clinical aspects of the job are you in the same situation??

where on gods green earth did you hear this?
:confused:

LOL, that's what the first DM who interviewed me told me. He said at CVS you will get as far ahead as you desire and that there is no one stopping you except yourself. I was just nodding my head and listening. :laugh: