Finally I got my part I result

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happyk9

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Comp score: 91.
Anatomy: 84
Bio/Phy: 83
Micro/Patho: 85
DA: 85.

Such a big relief.

Materials I have used:
Anatomy: Dental decks; Acland's DVD; Clinical anatomy made it ridiculously simple; Gray's anatomy for student; Histology and Cell Biology - An Introduction to Pathology, my college Head and Neck Anatomy textbook.

Biochemistry: Lippincott's Biochemistry, Kaplan books, dental decks;

Physiology: Dental decks, Kaplan books, my college textbooks;

Microbiology: Clinical microbiology made it ridiculously simple; Kaplan book, dental decks;

Pathology: (Robin's)Pathologic Basis of disease, Kaplan book, dental deck.

Dental deck is very important but not enough if you want to get a satisfying score. I studied deck in this way: first I glance the each card to find out the general outline of the content; second, I use a digital recorder to record both sides of each card and save as a Mp3 file. Then I transfer the recorded files to my Ipod. Then I can listen them when I am driving, in the gym and even on my bed before sleep. Some cards I have listened at least 10 times.

Did ASDA paper almost twice (except some from early years). When I started, I only scored 70-80 for each subject, generally, sometimes worse. I studied almost every question and every choice. I asked myself what is question testing, what is the core concept? How do the wrong choices related to correct one? This is very time and energy consuming. But it is the most useful strategy I think I have used.

After 4-5 ASDA papers on each subject, I can finally score 85-90 on each subject. Once I even scored 95 on one subject. Later I found out there are many repeated questions in that paper from early years.

----------
Decks and ASDA papers are very important but not enough. There are few repeated questions in my exam but not many. My exam was much more difficult than any ASDA paper.
-----------

One advice for all future exam takers: Unlike USMLE, NBDE is testing how detail you can remember the knowledge. The more detail the better. Knowing something doesn't mean you can get a good result in an exam. After each practice exam I saw the mistakes I made and often I told myself: This is such a silly mistake since I know this concept.------Yes, I know it but I didn't remember it. Not remembering it equals to not knowing it at all in the exam.

So if you want to get a high score, you should REMEMBER what you have learned.

-------

I got a lot of help from this forum. Thank you guys for your kind help. Good luck to everybody.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on the good score ! and thank you for the input !
i have one question: how do you estimate your score by solving the ASDA papers? when you say 85% is that the number of correct answers u get (85 correct out of 100 questions) ?
some asda papers are a collection of only 200 questions for several years, so how do you score yourself in a specific division ( like DA ) in such a general exam ?
thank you in advance and good luck with the next steps:xf:

Congratulations on your score! How long did it take for you to get your result?

Members don't see this ad :)
congrata happy and thanks for posting such useful inputs for people preparing to write .

hi happy k9, u sure kept it a secret till the results:).......i mean about ur exam date.....................anyways, glad to know about ur study sources but just one week prior to exams, what did u go thru? cant be so many books???....happy, plz, tell about the okeson's doubt ,i had posted in another thread but didnt get an answer....................i went thru the first chapter only and in it , the intermediate zone of disc is above the condyle in closed mouth position ,but in decks,it says the intermediate zone is !
plz ,plz, anyone besides happy k9 reading this, i need to know whether to follow okeson or decks?
a hearty congratulations on ur wonderful result:)

Congrats on the good score ! and thank you for the input !
i have one question: how do you estimate your score by solving the ASDA papers? when you say 85% is that the number of correct answers u get (85 correct out of 100 questions) ?
some asda papers are a collection of only 200 questions for several years, so how do you score yourself in a specific division ( like DA ) in such a general exam ?
thank you in advance and good luck with the next steps:xf:

It depends on how well you prepared the exam. I would say if you score 340 on ASDA paper, generally you should minus 10 points to 330 in your real exam. But if you score 320 or less, you should deduct more (20-30?). This is not a linear relationship, I think.

Congratulations on your score! How long did it take for you to get your result?

I studied 8 months. I didn't devote my self 100% at the first six month. It took me four month to record all the dental deck cards and several ASDA papers. Last two month I spent 10 hours everyday including weekends.

Last edited:
hi happy k9, u sure kept it a secret till the results:).......i mean about ur exam date.....................anyways, glad to know about ur study sources but just one week prior to exams, what did u go thru? cant be so many books???....happy, plz, tell about the okeson's doubt ,i had posted in another thread but didnt get an answer....................i went thru the first chapter only and in it , the intermediate zone of disc is above the condyle in closed mouth position ,but in decks,it says the intermediate zone is !
plz ,plz, anyone besides happy k9 reading this, i need to know whether to follow okeson or decks?
a hearty congratulations on ur wonderful result:)

I would follow Okeson since it is a textbook. There are many mistakes in decks. You can check deck website and there is a list that they correct each mistake.

Thank you happyk9...it was so nice of you to pen down everything...i liked what u said in the end...If u dont remember..you dont know it all..I hope i can implement that.

btw..how did you read robbins..i have the pocket book which has about 80% of robbins..but i feel it is sooo vast.Did you read the kaplan topics in robbins or so?
How about TMJ..can you suggest good sources other than okeson?

Last edited:
congrats happyk9 :)
wish you luck for admission

can u suggest how pathology and physiology case scenariois are asked, i mean is it like pathophysiology diseases as mentioned in kaplan q bank.

congrats for great score!!when did u take ur exam?i gave it on 10th june results r not out yet?do i ve to worry?thanks

I studied 8 months. I didn't devote my self 100% at the first six month. It took me four month to record all the dental deck cards and several ASDA papers. Last two month I spent 10 hours everyday including weekends.

I meant to say how long it took to get your score back after you took the exam. Sorry, I should have clarified!

PS - Kudos on the dedication

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats happyk9 :)
wish you luck for admission

can u suggest how pathology and physiology case scenariois are asked, i mean is it like pathophysiology diseases as mentioned in kaplan q bank.

I have never done Kaplan q bank so I don't know.

congrats for such a nice score. i justed want to ask to few questions
1. did u do first aid?how is it?
2.how many times u revised whole stuff ?
3.which was ur main source decks or kaplan?
plz reply me back

Thank you happyk9...it was so nice of you to pen down everything...i liked what u said in the end...If u dont remember..you dont know it all..I hope i can implement that.

btw..how did you read robbins..i have the pocket book which has about 80% of robbins..but i feel it is sooo vast.Did you read the kaplan topics in robbins or so?
How about TMJ..can you suggest good sources other than okeson?

I don't know about the pocket book (robbin's). I use Robbin's textbook as a reference. It has very good summary and pictures. For example, I got the best explanation for type I, II, III and IV hypersensitivity.

congrats for such a nice score. i justed want to ask to few questions
1. did u do first aid?how is it?
2.how many times u revised whole stuff ?
3.which was ur main source decks or kaplan?
plz reply me back

1. Never used first aid so I don't know.
2. It is hard to say how many times I revised the whole stuff since some of it I went over again and again. But the first time was very long and tiresome.
3. I probably spent much more time on Deck since it is very well-written and exam-oriented. Kaplan has well-organized structure but it lacks brevity.

There is no panacea for NBDE exam. You need to study in a multitude of ways to have a chance to score high.

Hey Happyk9.. i see that u are very happy :) ,,Congart.on ur score !!
Wana sk u one thing have u done any time table strategy for studies ? or just when ever ur done with a subject u shift to the other one !!
thanks

Hey Happyk9.. i see that u are very happy :) ,,Congart.on ur score !!
Wana sk u one thing have u done any time table strategy for studies ? or just when ever ur done with a subject u shift to the other one !!
thanks

I am a person like to make big plan for each day but usually can not even finish half of it. I tried to make time table for each subject but later found out it was not practical at all for me. Often I was frustrated each time I failed my plan. My advice is: instead of making an unpredictable time table, you should prioritize your plan. What part of each subject you are least familiar with? How much information in this part? Fix the weakest link and move on to the next one. Little by little, step by step. You can use ASDA paper to test your unfamiliar knowledge in each subject.

Hope my 2 cents can give you some help.