Passed NBDE Part I

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

outback95

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the NBDE Part I on Monday, January 13th and was made aware today, January 30th, that I PASSED on my first attempt. Thanks be to GOD!! I have some advice for those who may be worried, and I hope it gives you hope.

1. I am NOT a good student... like at all. My class rank is 92/104. I am in the bottom of my class. I got straight C's in my physiology classes and was told by our associated academic dean that no one with grades like mine passes on the first attempt. Clearly, I proved her wrong.

2. I am a firm believer that no one knows how to study better than yourself. Everyone has study materials that they feel strongly about. My school includes the price of the Dental Decks in our tuition, and we are given the decks as D1's. Some people used only the decks and passed just fine. I am not someone who learns like this. I used B&B, Mastery App, and Pass the Dental Boards videos. Yes, this all cost me a lot of money, but I had to play the game to pass. I cannot recommend B&B enough. It stressed high yield material that will show up on the exam, and they were right about it. Mastery app is great because it prepares you for what you will see on the exam. Some argue the questions are a little easier than on the exam. I didn't find that true. Mastery app has questions that are a lot wordier than what you will see on the actual exam, so, if anything, it is a bit tougher. The explanations that come with each question are KEY. Pass the Dental Boards videos are a MUST to do well on dental anatomy/occlusion/TMJ. Their videos are fantastic for biochemistry and microbiology, as well. I was surprised how detailed the exam got with microbiology. There are so many microorganisms to remember, so your best bet is to look at those videos a week or even a day or two before the actual exam, so it's fresh in your mind.

3. The exam itself is AWFUL. I was 100% sure I failed right after walking out. I literally told the people working at the testing facility I would see them again in three months to retake the exam. I thought I would felt better and a little relieved after finishing the exam. No, I felt significantly worse the 17 days I had to wait to see my score. The questions they ask are so random, and I could count literally 30 freebies I got wrong. No one takes an exam like that and feels good afterwards. No one. So, don't feel scared during or after the exam. Do ANYTHING you can to get your mind off of it.

4. I say this not to be preachy or impress my religion on others, but prayer is KEY to keep you sane and make it through this exam. If you are the praying type, do not lose faith. I kept praying even after taking the exam, and that has worked wonders. My faith has helped me through dental school in general. Have faith and trust in God. It is only because of Him I was able to survive the stress and, eventually, pass this exam.

In closing, this exam is extremely doable for anyone who could get into dental school. I am at the bottom of my class and was able to pass after only three weeks of studying. I took three practices exams and scored in the 50s and 60s on them. You could say I got lucky, and you would probably be right. But, I did work my butt off to pass and even gave up my Christmas break to study for this exam. It was a miserable break, but I am thankful to God it was all worth it in the end. You will all make it. I believe in you. Do your best and work hard! Also remember, this exam will be administered for the last time in late July of this year. Plan accordingly, and make sure to pass before it won't be administered. There is the 90-day wait period between attempts. But, if you remain self-aware of your best study strategies and follow my advice, I PROMISE you, you will make it. Feel free to message me if you need advice or just comfort. Good luck, and God bless!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
thanks for posting this. 14 days and still waiting for scores...0_o
I know how you feel! The wait was THE WORST. I literally felt worse throughout the weeks following the exam than I did leading up to it or during it. Do whatever you can to get your mind off of it and trust that you did the best you could. I believe in you!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How did praying after your exam help? You either had enough right answers or not

Dont pray to pass the exam. Pray before the exam for strength to study and learn as much as possible. Pray during for mental peace and a cool mind, pray after to get all your incorrect answers thrown out. lol. and also for the strength to deal with your result whether good or bad. and if you are not religious, or can achieve these without faith, that is great too.

Took it 2/26 and found out today that I passed :) Thank you @outback95 for your breakdown and @ssdent18 for answering my question so quickly :) Elated and excited for this spring break

For anyone wondering, I also used Pass the Dental Boards videos for Dental Anatomy, but mostly just the mastery app (and a little bit of the decks too, but they're a lot to get through). Did the app one time and got about a 67%, and just reviewed the solutions.

Reactions: 2 users