RayF

Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2006
118
0
Status
Medical Student
Reading the personal accounts of last year's MS-IV on different threads was a great way to find out what it's like to be "on the road".. or "the trail". Now that it's our turn, I thought it would be nice to have a unified thread to share our experiences, thoughts, and ups-n-downs on the way to the '07 match!
there are other threads dealing with seeking advice from R1's which are great.. so this one will be dedicated to

1) experience on electives and different programs
2) support from other SDNers while scheduled on the same program
3) ERAS and match stuff
4) Boards
5) Interviews
6) Hopes, fears, doubts, money, tears, and smiles :)


see ya on the road!!
 

Hayduke

Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2003
184
8
canyonless wasteland
Visit site
Status
Great idea. I'm glad somebody started it. But maybe a better title would draw the crowd.
Suggestions:
Pain Train 2007
Trail of Fears '07
Love?
Wannabees 2007
N/V/D x 8 months
Team Rhumbah (my old bike team but who cares)
Tomkat and the Acid Licked Vixens (not really a good thread/band or child's name but a killer go-go boot movie!)


Anyway, thanks for starting it up.
 
OP
RayF

RayF

Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2006
118
0
Status
Medical Student
pain train 2007 :laugh: my favorite
 
OP
RayF

RayF

Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2006
118
0
Status
Medical Student
are there non-eras EM residencies??
 

ElZorro

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2006
117
1
Status
Medical Student
EM_Rebuilder said:
so.... who has their personal statement finished?
I do, but kinda think it sucks. It was alot harder than I thought. When I was in undergrad I could whip out something pretty good in just an hour or two. But now I deliberate every single word wondering if that is correct. And then I read the finished product and feel like it is....well....I don't know what it is. For that matter I guess I don't know what it is supposed to be! Probably alot of effort for very little gain.
 

EM_Rebuilder

Member
10+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2006
1,229
55
Texas
Status
Attending Physician
ElZorro said:
I do, but kinda think it sucks. It was alot harder than I thought. When I was in undergrad I could whip out something pretty good in just an hour or two. But now I deliberate every single word wondering if that is correct. And then I read the finished product and feel like it is....well....I don't know what it is. For that matter I guess I don't know what it is supposed to be! Probably alot of effort for very little gain.

Yeah, I am having such a hard time. I finally just took several topics/points and wrote random paragraphs. Now the problem is that I am having quite the time tieing them together.... back to word.
 
OP
RayF

RayF

Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2006
118
0
Status
Medical Student
T - 245 days..
and counting.
 

trkd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2002
719
3
San Diego
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Alright, I could use some Step 2 advice. I am signed up for Step 2 CS on August 5th (16 days from now). I am signed up for CK on August 1st (12 days from now :scared: ). Is 3 days (and a half if I can study after CK) enough to study for CS? Yeah, I know, I know, it is easy but still a worry. Especially because they just made passing it harder as of the 16th of this month. I was just going read First Aid for CS and that's it. As a side not, I go to an Aussie school but I don't think this will make much difference except that I will need to get used to how the notes are written in First Aid (i.e. in the US).

I'd really appreciate thoughts from those who have taken CS. Cheers. :thumbup:
 

ElZorro

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2006
117
1
Status
Medical Student
trkd said:
Alright, I could use some Step 2 advice. I am signed up for Step 2 CS on August 5th (16 days from now). I am signed up for CK on August 1st (12 days from now :scared: ). Is 3 days (and a half if I can study after CK) enough to study for CS? Yeah, I know, I know, it is easy but still a worry. Especially because they just made passing it harder as of the 16th of this month. I was just going read First Aid for CS and that's it. As a side not, I go to an Aussie school but I don't think this will make much difference except that I will need to get used to how the notes are written in First Aid (i.e. in the US).

I'd really appreciate thoughts from those who have taken CS. Cheers. :thumbup:
This is advice from a 4th year who has not taken CS, so take this for what its worth. I don't think anybody going into EM is going to have a problem with CS. We by nature enjoy talking to people, enjoy getting a dx from a good history, and value brevity and focused exams. It seems that people who aren't quite as interested in H/P or have a hard time keeping their H/P to under 15 min. are the ones that are going to have a problem. The people who fail are the bottom 5% of people in H/P and dx. Do you think you fall into that category, I doubt it.
 

DrQuinn

My name is Neo
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2000
4,227
16
Wisconsin
Visit site
Status
ElZorro said:
I do, but kinda think it sucks. It was alot harder than I thought. When I was in undergrad I could whip out something pretty good in just an hour or two. But now I deliberate every single word wondering if that is correct. And then I read the finished product and feel like it is....well....I don't know what it is. For that matter I guess I don't know what it is supposed to be! Probably alot of effort for very little gain.
Bro, dont' worry too much abotu the PS. Think of all the PDs who have >800 to read each ERAS season. Unless you are a Pulitzer prize winning author, just make it a nice, decent generic statemnet. Maybe throw something in there that sets you apart from the rest... other than that, its kind of a worthless part of your application. Definately DO NOT stress about your PS! Just get it done!

Q
 
OP
RayF

RayF

Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2006
118
0
Status
Medical Student
anyone planning on doing a month in Radiology? wonder if it would help :rolleyes:
 

mfleur

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2003
219
0
42
San Francisco
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
RayF said:
anyone planning on doing a month in Radiology? wonder if it would help :rolleyes:

I'm doing neurorad....hope it will help. Plus its a nice schedule during the interview month.
 

EM_Rebuilder

Member
10+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2006
1,229
55
Texas
Status
Attending Physician
RayF said:
anyone planning on doing a month in Radiology? wonder if it would help :rolleyes:
I really wanted to, but its not offered at my school and nobody in our community will take students. I just could not justify doing it as an away rotation given the $$$ and the fact that I might be 'stealing' a spot that could go to good use for someone wanting to do radiology...
 

Dr. Will

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2002
6,053
1
40
Houston, TX
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Grrr...I haven't even started my PS yet. I have ideas but the thought of writing it just annoys me. But either way, I need to get a draft done in the next week. Haven't started ERAS either, but that I'm not too worried about.
 

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
7,698
6
Status
Medical Student
RayF said:
anyone planning on doing a month in Radiology? wonder if it would help :rolleyes:
I'm doing one right now, this month.

Since EP's read more films than any other specialty other than radiology, I would definitely think it would be beneficial. Just about every EP that I speak to spends a large amount of time reading films in the ED on a daily basis.
 

trkd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2002
719
3
San Diego
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
RayF said:
anyone planning on doing a month in Radiology? wonder if it would help :rolleyes:
Yeah, definitely. I suck at radiology. Don't know if it will help but that is the idea.
 

trkd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2002
719
3
San Diego
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
ElZorro said:
This is advice from a 4th year who has not taken CS, so take this for what its worth. I don't think anybody going into EM is going to have a problem with CS. We by nature enjoy talking to people, enjoy getting a dx from a good history, and value brevity and focused exams. It seems that people who aren't quite as interested in H/P or have a hard time keeping their H/P to under 15 min. are the ones that are going to have a problem. The people who fail are the bottom 5% of people in H/P and dx. Do you think you fall into that category, I doubt it.
Thanks for the encouragement ElZorro. I don't think I will have any problems. The fact that I am only concentrating on CK until 3 days before CS just concerns me that I don't know what I am getting myself into. It's not really me style to be unprepared so close to gametime.
 

MushieCookie

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2006
133
0
Status
Attending Physician
trkd said:
Thanks for the encouragement ElZorro. I don't think I will have any problems. The fact that I am only concentrating on CK until 3 days before CS just concerns me that I don't know what I am getting myself into. It's not really me style to be unprepared so close to gametime.
trkd, good luck on CK. I'm taking it August 2nd. I hope it's pretty much like UW.
 
OP
RayF

RayF

Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2006
118
0
Status
Medical Student
mfleur said:
Is everyone taking CK in time to have it on their app?
I'm taking it in a week.. :scared:
will keep u posted on what it's like.
 

trkd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2002
719
3
San Diego
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
mfleur said:
Is everyone taking CK in time to have it on their app?
Don't think so. I am taking it because I am at an Aussie school. You know the drill. Harder to match, must prove worth (and ability to speak English ;) ), etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.
 

trkd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2002
719
3
San Diego
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
MushieCookie said:
trkd, good luck on CK. I'm taking it August 2nd. I hope it's pretty much like UW.
Good luck to you as well. I am at about my 24th UW exam and I have had a bad slump. 6 of the last 7 exams have sucked. Not good! Aug. 1st is too close.
 

MushieCookie

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2006
133
0
Status
Attending Physician
trkd said:
Good luck to you as well. I am at about my 24th UW exam and I have had a bad slump. 6 of the last 7 exams have sucked. Not good! Aug. 1st is too close.
Keep pluggin' away. I've been going through questions for the past 5 weeks or so...repetition, repetition, repetition. Best of luck...I'm sure you'll do great.
 

BadVB750

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2002
461
0
America
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Is it just me or does some of those UW questions seem overly nit-picky? Sometimes I read a question and have no clue what disease they are describing? I'm sitting at 51% with week to go and I'm starting to get nervous. Especially since eveyone on the comlex/usmle forum has like a 95% on UW.
 

EM_Rebuilder

Member
10+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2006
1,229
55
Texas
Status
Attending Physician
BadVB750 said:
Is it just me or does some of those UW questions seem overly nit-picky? Sometimes I read a question and have no clue what disease they are describing? I'm sitting at 51% with week to go and I'm starting to get nervous. Especially since eveyone on the comlex/usmle forum has like a 95% on UW.
I quit listening to those people. I have like a 56 on the QBank questions... I have been doing questions/studying since the end of June and take the test the first of August. I figure I'll do as good as I possibly can do. Just do your thing, take the test. Maybe you wont be a 99%tile but I affirmly believe grades are not everything....
 

Farbar

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 26, 2006
40
0
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I was feeling great after about 4 consecutive 65% or better tests untill I produced a smooth 40% on my last one. I may make it to 56-57% overall by the time I am done.
 

trkd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2002
719
3
San Diego
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
I love hearing that people feel the same about the UW scores. I guess misery loves company. But didn't mean to hijack the thread. :oops: Sorry.
 

BadVB750

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2002
461
0
America
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
trkd said:
I love hearing that people feel the same about the UW scores. I guess misery loves company. But didn't mean to hijack the thread. :oops: Sorry.
Yeah, I'm just trying to use UW as a teaching tool, but it hard sometimes not to focus on a low score. I will be really happy once I'm done with both the comlex and usmle.
 

ElZorro

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2006
117
1
Status
Medical Student
whos headed out to do an away? Where you going? Is there anybody that has one under their belt, what was your experience?
 

mfleur

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2003
219
0
42
San Francisco
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
ElZorro said:
whos headed out to do an away? Where you going? Is there anybody that has one under their belt, what was your experience?
I'm currently doing emergency ultrasound at NYP columbia/cornell and doing highland later. I'm having a great time in NY and while it is a little wierd to only do US all day, I am learning a lot and getting a good into to the program.
 

BadVB750

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2002
461
0
America
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
I'm headed to York next month and then Lansing in Oct. The US rotation sounds pretty sweet, I will try to land it for the second half of the year.
 
OP
RayF

RayF

Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2006
118
0
Status
Medical Student
I'll be in Augusta, GA soon.. then UF. anyone been there?
looks like everyone has emergency U/S on their mind!! that's :thumbup:
 

bla_3x

Grip it and rip it!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2001
518
0
Visit site
Status
I'll be at the new LV program in August...Can't wait!
 

MushieCookie

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2006
133
0
Status
Attending Physician
Beth Israel 8/28 (manhattan). sweet...

I'm trying to find some info on EM US, or just US period...especially in the NYC area...especially schools/programs that take foreign students.
If anyone has any ideas...let me hear 'em. Thanks...
 

trkd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2002
719
3
San Diego
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
MushieCookie said:
Beth Israel 8/28 (manhattan). sweet...

I'm trying to find some info on EM US, or just US period...especially in the NYC area...especially schools/programs that take foreign students.
If anyone has any ideas...let me hear 'em. Thanks...
As far as electives go, you may be out of luck. I tried EM US in the NY area without luck (I am at an aussie school). As far as residency goes though, most of them look like they accept foreign grads. The only way it might work is if you try at a non-competitive rotation time (Jan-June). You may have more luck with this. Good luck.
 

MushieCookie

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2006
133
0
Status
Attending Physician
trkd said:
As far as electives go, you may be out of luck. I tried EM US in the NY area without luck (I am at an aussie school). As far as residency goes though, most of them look like they accept foreign grads. The only way it might work is if you try at a non-competitive rotation time (Jan-June). You may have more luck with this. Good luck.
hey trkd...do you mind PM'ing me (or posting on here) some EM US rotations you've looked into in the NYC area? (that accepts foreign students). I don't care when I do it. Actually, January would probably be best for me. I'll be finished with my last rotation end-March.
Thanks!
 

trkd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2002
719
3
San Diego
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
MushieCookie said:
hey trkd...do you mind PM'ing me (or posting on here) some EM US rotations you've looked into in the NYC area? (that accepts foreign students). I don't care when I do it. Actually, January would probably be best for me. I'll be finished with my last rotation end-March.
Thanks!
Yep, I'll PM you. :thumbup:
 

Dr. Will

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2002
6,053
1
40
Houston, TX
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Electives....
Finishing up this week with Cook County (great Attending staff)
Aug - UC Davis
Sept - Jacobi (Bronx)
 

Praying4EM

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2006
12
0
Status
Medical Student
To those of you doing an away in Las Vegas, do you have any info on the program? I've heard about their new program but have yet to find any concrete info on it although it's one program i'm really interested in.
 
OP
RayF

RayF

Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2006
118
0
Status
Medical Student
tkim said:
Now - Arrowhead
Sept - USC
Nov - UMC-LV

arrowhead.. how do u like it there..
it's the westernU affiliate, right?
are the residents happy there?

cheers
 
OP
RayF

RayF

Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2006
118
0
Status
Medical Student
By the way,
for the DO applicants, make sure u look into the Mt Sinai program in miami beach.. great program, but it's not participating in ERAS. Just wanted to make sure everyone is aware of it. They have an earlier deadline.
 

SexPanther

This could be a problem
10+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2006
447
1
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
trkd said:
August at UCLA/Olive View
September at UNC
TRKD, see you in September! I may be giving you a PM to find out where you're staying and other general stuff. Nervous as hell for the rotation, hoping not to suck. Good luck to everyone else on their aways.
 

mEd-confused

New Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2006
5
0
Status
Medical Student
RayF said:
By the way,
for the DO applicants, make sure u look into the Mt Sinai program in miami beach.. great program, but it's not participating in ERAS. Just wanted to make sure everyone is aware of it. They have an earlier deadline.
I emailed the PD and she said starting this year, the program will be a linked program with Palmetto General Hospital and is participating in ERAS. Hope this helps people interested in the program.