finally.. the MS-4 THREAD!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What is the minimum amount of application materials that can be submitted initially? As far a PS, transcript, photo, etc. After submitting initially, can you only make additions or changes too?

I am fairly sure you only need the CAF to submit. But the more the merrier. Because after you submit you CANNOT make changes to the CAF, but you can change other parts of it (the documents or photo etc.)

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats to both of us for being done with it. I'll see you on the interview trail!:thumbup:

I got my scores and I'm happy too.. much better than step 1. hopefully it'll pump up the application. u think PD's will overlook a mediocre step 1 if u worked hard for step 2.. which tests the stuff that really matter for an intern anyway?

I got my scores and I'm happy too.. much better than step 1. hopefully it'll pump up the application. u think PD's will overlook a mediocre step 1 if u worked hard for step 2.. which tests the stuff that really matter for an intern anyway?

congrats RayF...well done. Hopefully we'll catch each other on the interview trail...

Members don't see this ad :)

I hope so! It has been addressed on this forum a few times. Most seem to say it helps but doesn't wipe out step 1 completely. I guess it depends on your scores. 200 and then 280 may avg out OK :laugh: . Seriously though, it's all in the past now. Can't change anything. Now its just time to shine at the interviews. Speaking of interviews, I am not going to get any until I work on my app and submit.....

later!

Ok, so I didn't pick a very good 4th year schedule and I'm doing away rotations Oct, Dec, and Jan.

So, is it okay to travel for a few days for interviews during an away rotation?
BTW, Anyone have housing in Atlanta for Oct?

Ok, so I didn't pick a very good 4th year schedule and I'm doing away rotations Oct, Dec, and Jan.

If you are going to grady, they have a dorm closeby.

lol, housing is a pain everywhere. I have some friends about 1.5 hours from my current away site, and trying to find something closer...
PS, if anyone wants an away rotation in the S.E. look into Jax, FL. it was an awesome experience and they helped with housing.

Ok question about the SLOR. I just started my first EM elective in America. So I need to get the SLOR now. I'm in where they are telling me that I need to work with an attending a couple of times and then request a LOR. Now, I'm confused-- is that letter the SLOR or do I request some other letter from some other person and that letter is the SLOR??? I'm confused becuse the S in SLOR led me to believe it is some kind of form letter, not a personalized letter from an attending...
I've gotten some good advice here in the past so I'm looking to you guys to clear this up for me :)
Thanks.

Ok question about the SLOR. I just started my first EM elective in America. So I need to get the SLOR now. I'm in where they are telling me that I need to work with an attending a couple of times and then request a LOR. Now, I'm confused-- is that letter the SLOR or do I request some other letter from some other person and that letter is the SLOR??? I'm confused becuse the S in SLOR led me to believe it is some kind of form letter, not a personalized letter from an attending...
I've gotten some good advice here in the past so I'm looking to you guys to clear this up for me :)
Thanks.

The standardized letter of recommendation is a form letter with controlled ratings in a variety of characteristics and a place for narrative.

It should be filled out by either a EM academic who has worked with you or by a department committee. The first is the more common approach and is apparently the one used at the place you're visiting.

PM me if unclear.

Hey, anyone have thoughts on what title to put for a research thing ERAS. I did research with a doc and we patented something together. Research assistant doesn't really work because I wasn't an asst but more like a co-investigator or something. Would "co-investigator" be correct? It sounds funny.

Hey, anyone have thoughts on what title to put for a research thing ERAS. I did research with a doc and we patented something together. Research assistant doesn't really work because I wasn't an asst but more like a co-investigator or something. Would "co-investigator" be correct? It sounds funny.

Co-investigator is the correct term if the principal investigator would describe you as that on grant applications. Be sure you include the patent somewhere.

Co-investigator is the correct term if the principal investigator would describe you as that on grant applications. Be sure you include the patent somewhere.

We used departmental funds and profit in advance so there was no grant application but I would imagine I would have been on there, for sure. He and I were the principal investigators, equally (if not more me than him though he has the big name/connections, I did most of the work). I included patent in the "misc." section under other awards/accomplishments. I didn't see it fit anywhere else.

Thanks!

On an aside, I am surprised by how non-malignant this application is (aside from hustling people to read my PS). It didn't take me long at all.

I just submitted my ERAS, I keep thinking that I did something wrong on the CAF. :laugh: Come On Interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
You guys were right...2 EM rotations are enough! I'm so unmotivated to work right now, and I've only worked 1 shift of my 3rd EM rotation. This is going to be a tough 4 weeks.

You guys were right...2 EM rotations are enough! I'm so unmotivated to work right now, and I've only worked 1 shift of my 3rd EM rotation. This is going to be a tough 4 weeks.

I wish I could just keep doing EM all year long!

What I am not looking forward is going back to my home and doing things like the SICU and Neurology.... Just gotta keep thinking that I will learn lots that can be applied to EM. Hoping to get several lines/chest tubes from the SI...

I wish I could just keep doing EM all year long!

What I am not looking forward is going back to my home and doing things like the SICU and Neurology.... Just gotta keep thinking that I will learn lots that can be applied to EM. Hoping to get several lines/chest tubes from the SI...

Don't get me wrong. I love EM. The laziness that accompainies 4th year is starting to set in. I want to just relax until it's time to start residency.

After 1-2 EM rotations, are you guys/gals feeling comfortable yet? I'm finishing up my second rotatiion and still feel lost-like having my plan include a CT head for a headache pt, but being told that it's not really needed. Is this normal? I feel completely unprepared for my intern year and am mostly slacking for the next 6 months.
anyone else?
streetdoc

Any DO's out there having problems with their COMLEX uploading to ERAS? I have pretty much everything set except for that.. who should I call?

Does anyone know where to find information on what programs had open positions after the match last year? I figure there's a website somewhere with that info on it or maybe anyone who scrambled last year might remember?

So, got my Step II results today.

If only I could get a beer. But I'm stuck in the dorm with no car, and thus, no way to buy beer. Unless I want to walk through the ghetto and get one. But I don't feel like getting shot today.

So, got my Step II results today.

If only I could get a beer. But I'm stuck in the dorm with no car, and thus, no way to buy beer. Unless I want to walk through the ghetto and get one. But I don't feel like getting shot today.

Well, how did you do?

247/99

Hope this helps me get in somewhere.

wow, wasn't expecting specifics. Awesome score, though, that's got to open doors - what did you study? :D

The first aid books for the 6 core rotations. Then the first aid book for Step 2. Then the crush step 2 book.

In about 6 days. Not bragging, that's all the time I had. Doing a month of EM before taking it really helps though, because so much of the test is relevant. And it compares pretty well with shelf scores, at least for me.

The first aid books for the 6 core rotations. Then the first aid book for Step 2. Then the crush step 2 book.

In about 6 days. Not bragging, that's all the time I had. Doing a month of EM before taking it really helps though, because so much of the test is relevant. And it compares pretty well with shelf scores, at least for me.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I've heard the Kid Rock song too. (the one about about it not being Cocky if you back it up)

I'm gonna stay in here for a while

Thread Preaching

Thread Bible Talk

Thread Bible Literature CLub

Thread Bible-palooza

ThreadBibleTalk.com

Evidence Based Bible Talk

ThreadReligionTalk.com

it's all bible talk!

I think I'm gonna vomit

"Since being cast from Eden, Man has sin, thus making him imperfect. Additionally, the angels (bene elohim--sons of God) are generally considered closer to God, thus more perfect."

ummm, I think the above qualifies as religion/bible/jeebus talk!

it's cool.

Jeebus chat all you want.

I'd prefer not to

maybe there should be a Jeebus thread

or,

a What Would Jeebus Do thread

maybe there should be a Jeebus thread

or,

a What Would Jeebus Do thread

or, maybe things could get really wild with a new Dungeons and Dragons thread

jeeebus, the Bible Thread Group is still going strong.

time for another snack

So I'm pretty bummed out. I got to look at the eval I got from my first away EM rotation. It is a compilation of responses from any residents and faculty that wished to add something. It looks like 4 faculty and 2 residents wrote comments (no names are mentioned just comments). Both residents liked me. 2/4 faculty liked me. The 3rd faculty member liked me but said my "professional attitude was challenging because she neglected to sign out her patients on more than one occasion" (I had signed out one patient to the wrong person...ONCE). The 4th faculty member said I didn't see many patients but with one patient I had trouble making an organized presentation but the other time, a straight forward patient, I did fine. (I can accept the fact that I may have had a hard time but as for not seeing many patients, it was an overnight shift with not too many to see. Give me a break.)

So, even though I got the highest grade for the rotation I am pretty bummed at the comments and the fact that the last comments in the paragraph above I THINK are from the person who is supposed to write me a letter. I only worked one shift with her but she said she would get comments from others I worked with (I didn't have other options for letter writers based on our schedule). Based on her comments though, I can imagine the letter that would result. Should I bother submitting that SLOR? I will have 2 others which I am pretty sure are quite good and a FP letter that is probably glowing. But I also remember the wisdom passed on by Yoda (I mean BKN) that a missing EM rotation letter will look bad. How damaging is 1 of 4 letters if it is similar to the comments above?

Her letter isn't in yet (despite 5 1/2 weeks passing) so that is another reason for concern but also an opportunity for me to unassign that letter to programs and put something else in place. Sorry for the long post. I could use some advice though. Thanks.:(