Finally took the DAT; How competitive of an applicant am I?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hello all!

Just got out of the DAT, and I’m really happy with my scores!

PAT: 22

QR: 18 (kinda disappointed with this one)

RC: 20 (surprised by this one)

BIO: 20

CHEM: 22

OCHEM: 23

TS: 21

AA: 21

Some more background on me, I’m a junior biochemistry and molecular biology major and I have a science GPA of ~3.9. I have tons of extracurriculars (100+ hours of shadowing, and I’m currently a dental assistant and a volunteer clinic. I also tutor underprivileged kids). I work two jobs (student instructor for calculus, and I work for my school’s public safety). I have about 1.5 years of marine biology research experience, and I’m currently pursuing my own dental-related research (I already have a literature publication for that). I’m hoping to attend UCLA, UCSF, Loma Linda, or Western U (Pomona, CA). How do my chances look?

Also, I will do a more extensive breakdown of the DAT, and my experience with the test tomorrow. Thanks y’all!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
So, here’s the more extensive breakdown of yesterday:

I knew that I was not going to sleep well the night before the exam, so I scheduled it for 1:30 PM. As I had predicted, I didn’t sleep more than a couple hours, but I was pretty wired and just ready to get the test over with. I got out of bed around 9 AM, and I ate some breakfast. I also changed into some comfy clothes for the exam (sweatpants, sweatshirt, and sneakers). My roommate took me to the center about 30 minutes before the exam, and I got an early start. I just went through the tutorial to make sure I was doing everything correctly, and I also wanted to see the highlighting feature. I took 16 ish minutes of the 30 minute break to eat a snack (Honey Nut Cheerios are da bomb! I also hydrated with some water and went to the restroom).
Now here’s the meat of the breakdown!

How I studied:

For biology, I went through Cliff’s AP Bio 3rd Edition notes a couple times, and I also went through Ari’s biology notes for Bootcamp, I watched a few Bozeman Science videos on YouTube (shoutout to Mr. Anderson for saving my soul in HS AP Bio and on the DAT!) and last but not least, I went through DAT Destroyer. I found all these resources very helpful. I just took notes on concepts I didn’t know very well, and I just repeatedly read through Destroyer (probably about 7 times). I just remembered a bunch of random facts and did my best to understand all the concepts that are fair game for the DAT. I used the free Bootcamp, Genius, Qvault, and 2007 DAT to test myself.

Experience on the exam:

As many other SDNers have stated, biology has to deal with applying concepts rather than regurgitating information. However, that is not to say you will have some random WTF questions thrown in your test (I had some), but that’s what Destroyer is for! I thought I did worse than a 20 because I had so many questions marked, and I felt I had to make many educated guesses. Overall, I’m content with this score.

How I studied:

For this section, I used DAT Destroyer and I watched some of Chad’s free videos on YouTube that were filmed during his lectures and put on his YouTube channel. I also did some free practice on Bootcamp and Genius. Chemistry is one of my strengths, and I wasn’t all too concerned about it. Note to those who are using DAT Destroyer: DO NOT WORRY ABOUT THE COMPLEXITY OF THE CALCULATIONS. Dat Destroyer is designed to truly test your understanding of concepts. Do not fret if you struggle with it, just do your best to understand.

Experience on the exam:

I breezed right through this section— calculations were very straight-forward and the concepts were pretty basic. If you struggle with chemistry, I recommend watching Chad’s videos or Mike’s videos to refresh yourself of the basics, and move onto DAT Destroyer. I’m happy with this section!

How I studied:

I just took Ochem during the last academic year, so it was fresh in my mind. I also used DAT Destroyer, which was phoeniminal! It’s challenging, but if you can get through it, you will be solid! Also, roadmaps are super helpful—take time out of your study schedule to focus on those gems for 15 minutes, at least! I tested myself using Bootcamp and Genius free tests as well as 2007 DAT.

Experience on the exam:

I found this section to be quite easy, even easier than Bootcamp (NOTE: THE DAT VARIES GREATLY, SO ONE MAY HAVE A MORE DIFFICULT VERSION, OR EASIER. YOU NEVER KNOW!). I breezed through this section, and I’m thrilled with my score!

How I studied:

As a poor college student, I don’t have much money to buy resources, but I bought Crack the DAT PAT for $100, I believe. It was fairly helpful, and it was definitely helpful with time management. However, I feel that CDP lacks the rigor of the real test. I also used Bootcamp’s free test, which I found to be a better representation of the material on the test. I also used all the generators on Bootcamp for 15 minutes a day for about the last month.

Experience on the exam:

I found the hardest part to be aperture (keyholes), and I was misfortunate to get a few rock ones. However, I just did my best and hoped for the best. I found TFE to be pretty straight forward (no more rigorous than DAT Bootcamp), angle ranking was a piece of cake (SO SO SO MUCH EASIER THAN BOOTCAMP GENERATOR). Cube counting was easy, and pattern folding was fairly challenging (I don’t really care for the Bootcamp generator because it deals with printed sides vs 3D nets). I was surprised I did as well as I did because I marked a lot of questions and took many guesses.

RC: 20
How I studied:

I’m probably the worst reader ever because I’m slow, and I take my time to truly understand the material. I just read Scientific American articles once a day for a month, and I also read a novel I was interested in (had nothing to do with science). I practiced with Bootcamp’s free reading test as well as Genius’. However, they were both too long and too difficult to read.

Experience on the exam:

The passages were short to my surprise, however, they were dense with information, and I was running low on time and had to guess on some of the answers using my limited knowledge from what I skimmed with a hint of common sense. I thought I bombed this section, but I’m happy with my score as it surpassed my expectations!

QR: 18 :uhno:
How I studied:

I bought the DAT Destroyer Math Destroyer bundle, and I went through the 11 practice tests 3 times each. I’m also a student instructor for calculus at my school, so I have a solid understanding of math. I felt the best about this section. I reinforced my studying with Bootcamp’s and Genius’ free tests.

Experience on the exam:

Do you ever have those moments when you think you nailed something and it ends up a burning pile of garbage? That was me on QR. I went through all the questions, and I felt I got nearly all of them correct, but I did way worse than what I have done on the practice tests I’ve taken. But, from what I’ve read on SDN that QR is the least important section.

Mini-rant about QR:
Whenever something frustrates me about studying for the DAT, I just remind myself that it isn’t relevant to dentistry, which is ironic. But here’s some food for thought: do you need to know how to calculate the standard deviation of a data set or use a system of equations to find a missing variable to yank someone’s tooth out? Of course not! It’s completely irrelevant to dentistry, and I don’t know why the ADA just doesn’t throw out that section. This is ironic also because I like math, but not to be conceded, I think that the exam I took was BS. I can do advanced calculus but can’t answer relatively simple (at least I think simple) questions on the DAT. This may just prove that QR section is trash and should just be omitted.

Another mini-rant:

Although I did fairly well in biology, I think it is really dumb that you need to know ecology and animal behavior as well as anatomy and physiology that are unrelated to dental anatomy/physiology. Again nothing to do with repairing someone’s bridge or filling a cavity, or crown prepping. Clinical experience has exhibited much of the DAT is irrelevant to your skills as a dentist. It’s just some dumb test that is needed to weed some applicants out.

Now that that’s out of my system, here’s my final thoughts/wrap-up:

I suck at standardized tests, generally. I got a 22 and a 23 on the ACT on my two attempts, and I didn’t even break 1800 on the SAT! However, I studied minimally for these tests. I studied for the DAT for 2.5 months, and unlike college entrance exams, the DAT is specific content that you focus on in your undergraduate studies, typically. So, if you put in the work, you will get good grades and good DAT scores! If I can do it, anyone can do it! I celebrated with a Slurpee from 7-11, some candy, and a burrito (ironic an aspiring dentist is eating this junk, but this is a typical college meal).

If you are reading this in the future stressing about your DAT studies— you will be okay as long as you put in the work and take care of yourself (but if you want a Slurpee after your exam, you earned it!)! Just put your best efforts forward, and everything will fall into place!

Good luck to everyone whether you are in dental school, applying this cycle, or any following cycle! Keep working hard, and never give up on your dreams of being a dentist!

Attachments

• ED126498-9BF5-4538-84C2-E7A45A75DC45.jpeg
    ED126498-9BF5-4538-84C2-E7A45A75DC45.jpeg
    162.8 KB · Views: 118
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
Thanks for the info! I'm actually not a resident of CA, which is definitely not in my favor for the public schools. I'm definitely going to establish residency in CA before next cycle. I was a little concerned my DAT is on the low side for both UCLA and UCSF, but I'm not sure if it's worth it to retake it? I know for sure I can get into LLU and WestU because their respective averages are 20/19. I'm not sure how a 21 AA is in terms of percentile (I think between 85th and 90th, at least), but my PAT score shines through. I just want to go to the state schools b/c they're both cheaper and more prestigious (although the latter of those factors isn't that big of a deal).

I think it'll be much tougher to get into UCLA OOS (if you aren't able to establish residency) because they only interviewed 16 of their 770 OOS applicants and your 21 may not be high enough. If you are able to get residency, you might have a higher chance...it's honestly up to you if you want to retake because you don't have any low scores but it may not be enough for the state schools-idk, I'm not an adcom but this is just my opinion based on the averages for the past few cycles. UCSF didn't release this info so I have no idea about them. Your stats are good for WestU but as I said before for LLU, be careful as they can be picky (read this and the next few posts). Also, a 21 is approximately 86th/87th percentile. Good luck
Once again, thank you for the info! Yea, LLU sounds misleading, I’m not sure if it’s worth it to apply there. I’m also not super religious let alone not even Christian. I think WestU is my safety school. I’m not too concerned my scores are below the average because the average is a culmination of scores that are higher and lower. I assume a 21 is considered a respectable score, overall? Also, what is your opinion on WestU’s rep?

Members don't see this ad :)
LLU may sound misleading yeah, but I loved the campus/the feel it had. I'm somewhat religious but I am not Christian/SDA either, but was accepted nonetheless.

Western may be a "safety" but its class size is small and you never know what could happen.

Also regarding averages, you're right, but in the ADEA book, the 5th to 95th percentile of scores for UCLA is 20-26 :dead: Got a few stats for UCSF and its 5th to 95th percentile of scores is 19-26.

21 is decent as it's slightly above the average of applicants that matriculate into dental school (which is ~20.4).

Western isn't a bad school at all, but like LLU, I think it's only known in the SoCal area (not really so much out of CA). Their school is nice too but I think it's in the middle of nowhere (and I lived near there so I know:laugh:). Reputation/prestige is one thing but I could almost guarantee that very few of your patients would know or "care" about where you went to school- it matters more that you leave your school a responsible and competent dentist.
I like Pomona-- I visited Western almost a year ago, and I really got good vibes there (I'm from MI, so anything CA is awesome to me :laugh:). I also visited LLU around the same time, and I liked that campus as well, SB County is very nice! I'm just going to apply everywhere I think I would want to attend, and I'll just hope for the best! I'm debating whether I should declare CA residency just to increase my chances with the state schools, but it also compromises a bunch of financial/dependency factors. I might just apply as an OOS-- I still have a year-ish to decide.

Do you feel that reputation matters when applying to a job? Also, I want to specialize in OMFS-- does prestige matter when applying to those programs? I know UCLA, UCSF, and LLU all have those specializations. I'm not too sure about Western, their website isn't clear.

Pomona is okay, not the safest area out there; same with LLU. But I guess there's crime everywhere. Also, yes only apply to places where you can see yourself going. Being a resident will definitely help with our state schools but it's up to you. Applying OOS means you better hope you're one of those 16 people that get interviewed! Lol

For jobs, reputation may matter, but I think your class rank/grades at the school you go to may matter more. I'm not too sure about this though as I haven't even started D1 yet. As for specializing, you can specialize from any school. Yes there are schools that may help you out in achieving this goal, but technically, you can specialize no matter what school you go to- prestige doesn't matter too much. Again, I'm not even a D1 yet but I think the process of applying to specialties is the same as applying to dental school- your grades, your test score (ADAT or CBSE or GRE or whatever), and ECs matter more than what school you go to (just like your grades, DAT score, and ECs matter more than the name of your undergrad). You can read more about this sorta stuff in the dental forum though, rather than the pre-dent or this DAT disc forum.
First thing is first, I need to get into dental school lol. Specialization is down the road, way down the road. Thank you for all your help! Good luck with D1!

So, here’s the more extensive breakdown of yesterday:

I knew that I was not going to sleep well the night before the exam, so I scheduled it for 1:30 PM. As I had predicted, I didn’t sleep more than a couple hours, but I was pretty wired and just ready to get the test over with. I got out of bed around 9 AM, and I ate some breakfast. I also changed into some comfy clothes for the exam (sweatpants, sweatshirt, and sneakers). My roommate took me to the center about 30 minutes before the exam, and I got an early start. I just went through the tutorial to make sure I was doing everything correctly, and I also wanted to see the highlighting feature. I took 16 ish minutes of the 30 minute break to eat a snack (Honey Nut Cheerios are da bomb! I also hydrated with some water and went to the restroom).
Now here’s the meat of the breakdown!

How I studied:

For biology, I went through Cliff’s AP Bio 3rd Edition notes a couple times, and I also went through Ari’s biology notes for Bootcamp, I watched a few Bozeman Science videos on YouTube (shoutout to Mr. Anderson for saving my soul in HS AP Bio and on the DAT!) and last but not least, I went through DAT Destroyer. I found all these resources very helpful. I just took notes on concepts I didn’t know very well, and I just repeatedly read through Destroyer (probably about 7 times). I just remembered a bunch of random facts and did my best to understand all the concepts that are fair game for the DAT. I used the free Bootcamp, Genius, Qvault, and 2007 DAT to test myself.

Experience on the exam:

As many other SDNers have stated, biology has to deal with applying concepts rather than regurgitating information. However, that is not to say you will have some random WTF questions thrown in your test (I had some), but that’s what Destroyer is for! I thought I did worse than a 20 because I had so many questions marked, and I felt I had to make many educated guesses. Overall, I’m content with this score.

How I studied:

For this section, I used DAT Destroyer and I watched some of Chad’s free videos on YouTube that were filmed during his lectures and put on his YouTube channel. I also did some free practice on Bootcamp and Genius. Chemistry is one of my strengths, and I wasn’t all too concerned about it. Note to those who are using DAT Destroyer: DO NOT WORRY ABOUT THE COMPLEXITY OF THE CALCULATIONS. Dat Destroyer is designed to truly test your understanding of concepts. Do not fret if you struggle with it, just do your best to understand.

Experience on the exam:

I breezed right through this section— calculations were very straight-forward and the concepts were pretty basic. If you struggle with chemistry, I recommend watching Chad’s videos or Mike’s videos to refresh yourself of the basics, and move onto DAT Destroyer. I’m happy with this section!

How I studied:

I just took Ochem during the last academic year, so it was fresh in my mind. I also used DAT Destroyer, which was phoeniminal! It’s challenging, but if you can get through it, you will be solid! Also, roadmaps are super helpful—take time out of your study schedule to focus on those gems for 15 minutes, at least! I tested myself using Bootcamp and Genius free tests as well as 2007 DAT.

Experience on the exam:

I found this section to be quite easy, even easier than Bootcamp (NOTE: THE DAT VARIES GREATLY, SO ONE MAY HAVE A MORE DIFFICULT VERSION, OR EASIER. YOU NEVER KNOW!). I breezed through this section, and I’m thrilled with my score!

How I studied:

As a poor college student, I don’t have much money to buy resources, but I bought Crack the DAT PAT for $100, I believe. It was fairly helpful, and it was definitely helpful with time management. However, I feel that CDP lacks the rigor of the real test. I also used Bootcamp’s free test, which I found to be a better representation of the material on the test. I also used all the generators on Bootcamp for 15 minutes a day for about the last month.

Experience on the exam:

I found the hardest part to be aperture (keyholes), and I was misfortunate to get a few rock ones. However, I just did my best and hoped for the best. I found TFE to be pretty straight forward (no more rigorous than DAT Bootcamp), angle ranking was a piece of cake (SO SO SO MUCH EASIER THAN BOOTCAMP GENERATOR). Cube counting was easy, and pattern folding was fairly challenging (I don’t really care for the Bootcamp generator because it deals with printed sides vs 3D nets). I was surprised I did as well as I did because I marked a lot of questions and took many guesses.

RC: 20
How I studied:

I’m probably the worst reader ever because I’m slow, and I take my time to truly understand the material. I just read Scientific American articles once a day for a month, and I also read a novel I was interested in (had nothing to do with science). I practiced with Bootcamp’s free reading test as well as Genius’. However, they were both too long and too difficult to read.

Experience on the exam:

The passages were short to my surprise, however, they were dense with information, and I was running low on time and had to guess on some of the answers using my limited knowledge from what I skimmed with a hint of common sense. I thought I bombed this section, but I’m happy with my score as it surpassed my expectations!

QR: 18 :uhno:
How I studied:

I bought the DAT Destroyer Math Destroyer bundle, and I went through the 11 practice tests 3 times each. I’m also a student instructor for calculus at my school, so I have a solid understanding of math. I felt the best about this section. I reinforced my studying with Bootcamp’s and Genius’ free tests.

Experience on the exam:

Do you ever have those moments when you think you nailed something and it ends up a burning pile of garbage? That was me on QR. I went through all the questions, and I felt I got nearly all of them correct, but I did way worse than what I have done on the practice tests I’ve taken. But, from what I’ve read on SDN that QR is the least important section.

Mini-rant about QR:
Whenever something frustrates me about studying for the DAT, I just remind myself that it isn’t relevant to dentistry, which is ironic. But here’s some food for thought: do you need to know how to calculate the standard deviation of a data set or use a system of equations to find a missing variable to yank someone’s tooth out? Of course not! It’s completely irrelevant to dentistry, and I don’t know why the ADA just doesn’t throw out that section. This is ironic also because I like math, but not to be conceded, I think that the exam I took was BS. I can do advanced calculus but can’t answer relatively simple (at least I think simple) questions on the DAT. This may just prove that QR section is trash and should just be omitted.

Another mini-rant:

Although I did fairly well in biology, I think it is really dumb that you need to know ecology and animal behavior as well as anatomy and physiology that are unrelated to dental anatomy/physiology. Again nothing to do with repairing someone’s bridge or filling a cavity, or crown prepping. Clinical experience has exhibited much of the DAT is irrelevant to your skills as a dentist. It’s just some dumb test that is needed to weed some applicants out.

Now that that’s out of my system, here’s my final thoughts/wrap-up:

I suck at standardized tests, generally. I got a 22 and a 23 on the ACT on my two attempts, and I didn’t even break 1800 on the SAT! However, I studied minimally for these tests. I studied for the DAT for 2.5 months, and unlike college entrance exams, the DAT is specific content that you focus on in your undergraduate studies, typically. So, if you put in the work, you will get good grades and good DAT scores! If I can do it, anyone can do it! I celebrated with a Slurpee from 7-11, some candy, and a burrito (ironic an aspiring dentist is eating this junk, but this is a typical college meal).

If you are reading this in the future stressing about your DAT studies— you will be okay as long as you put in the work and take care of yourself (but if you want a Slurpee after your exam, you earned it!)! Just put your best efforts forward, and everything will fall into place!

Good luck to everyone whether you are in dental school, applying this cycle, or any following cycle! Keep working hard, and never give up on your dreams of being a dentist!
Congratulations! Thank you for the detailed breakdown, it will help a lot of students!

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all!

Just got out of the DAT, and I’m really happy with my scores!

QR: 18 (kinda disappointed with this one)

RC: 20 (surprised by this one)

TS: 21

AA: 21

Some more background on me, I’m a junior biochemistry and molecular biology major and I have a science GPA of ~3.9. I have tons of extracurriculars (100+ hours of shadowing, and I’m currently a dental assistant and a volunteer clinic. I also tutor underprivileged kids). I work two jobs (student instructor for calculus, and I work for my school’s public safety). I have about 1.5 years of marine biology research experience, and I’m currently pursuing my own dental-related research (I already have a literature publication for that). I’m hoping to attend UCLA, UCSF, Loma Linda, or Western U (Pomona, CA). How do my chances look?

Also, I will do a more extensive breakdown of the DAT, and my experience with the test tomorrow. Thanks y’all!
Great Scores! Honestly I would say just apply... you never know! Your GPA is really good so the 21 is nothing to worry about. I got into UCSF however I didn't apply to UCLA because I didn't want to do that supplemental and I knew they emphasized doing research in undergrad which I didn't do. I had a higher DAT but lower GPA than you. Do a lot of community work and just be well rounded. UCSF looks for students involved in community outreach. Personally I have noticed quite a few of my incoming classmates are from OOS. Also I don't know about UCLA, but the financial aid package from UCSF is beautiful! Both schools are great and even the other California schools are great! Lastly, don't get to caught up in the stats. Apply early (which I didn't do) and impress with your interviews.

Reactions: 1 user