Financial Aid at UConn?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LongTooth

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can any UConn students/recent grads tell me about the financial aid situation at the dental school? I've heard there are some merit-based scholarships, and their website mentions partial to full tuition remission as part of need-based aid. Do some students really get full tuition remission? My family and I are of relatively low financial standing, so this option could be attractive to me. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Can any UConn students/recent grads tell me about the financial aid situation at the dental school? I've heard there are some merit-based scholarships, and their website mentions partial to full tuition remission as part of need-based aid. Do some students really get full tuition remission? My family and I are of relatively low financial standing, so this option could be attractive to me. Thanks!

So you pay with loans or join the military like 99% of dental students ...this isn't college.

Members don't see this ad :)
So you pay with loans or join the military like 99% of dental students ...this isn't college.

Some (most?) schools give out need-based grant aid in addition to loans. I've seen grant figures as high as $14,000 per year. So, this is a legitimate question, contrary to how you would make it seem.

Some (most?) schools give out need-based grant aid in addition to loans. I've seen grant figures as high as $14,000 per year. So, this is a legitimate question, contrary to how you would make it seem.

Ok, so what does the fact that your family is low income have anything to do with your question? You're classified as an independent when you apply to grad school, so everyone is technically "low-income".

I'm tired of seeing threads like this... just plan on taking out loans like everyone else. I highly doubt that you make much less money than the average college student.
Your parents' income has nothing to do with you anymore. You're graduating college soon and you're an adult - start thinking independently of your parents.

Hi, Can I ask a more relevant question regarding taking a loan from UConn? I read on the financial aid office website that there are several institutional fundings/loans available which offer 5% interest rate. Can any dental students from UConn comment on how difficult it is to get such loans? Are they available to quite some students, or few that are in very high financial need?

Really appreciate it!

I was awarded HPSL. It's a 5% loan with interest subsidized by federal government while you are in school, and you get one year of grace period after graduation. The interest does not acrue within the one year grace period. The amount awarded will be determined by your school. All you need to do is provide your parents' tax return information on your fafsa. If you are eligibal and school has sufficient funding, you will be awarded. I am not a studnent at uconn. Hope this helps.

Some people on here seem to be really out of the loop. At least for the schools where I interviewed (and therefore attended a financial aid info session), parents' financial info is required for need-based aid. Yes, the federal government says you are independent when applying for graduate school, but schools can award you different amounts of need-based aid depending on your parents' financials. For example, any school that requires CSS Profile (in addition to FAFSA) needs parents' info, and UConn requires parents' tax info even though they don't use Profile.

I'm surprised how rude some posters are when they clearly lack the knowledge to respond to this thread. As much as it might be interesting to take out loans for 100% of my costs, it might be an intelligent move to take advantage of some FREE need-based money, even if it's only a few thousand per year. 90% loans is better than 100% loans. And yes, getting things like "tuition remission" (aka free money) does require parents' info, contrary to what Medwell and Dentaldawg32 would lead you to believe. Low financial standing of you and parents = more need-based aid money.

For example, see the UConn financial aid page:
http://studentservices.uchc.edu/financial/checklist.html

This page clearly states the following:
"Students interested in institutional funding such as Tuition Remission and University Loans must also complete and submit these additional forms.
UConn Application – Part II
Signed Copy of the Parent(s) 2009 Federal Tax Return
Copies of Parent(s) 2009 W-2 Statements
"

Last edited:
I was awarded HPSL. It's a 5% loan with interest subsidized by federal government while you are in school, and you get one year of grace period after graduation. The interest does not acrue within the one year grace period. The amount awarded will be determined by your school. All you need to do is provide your parents' tax return information on your fafsa. If you are eligibal and school has sufficient funding, you will be awarded. I am not a studnent at uconn. Hope this helps.

Thanks. Unlike some of the other posters, you actually have experience with this and know what you are talking about. :)

Thanks. Unlike some of the other posters, you actually have experience with this and know what you are talking about. :)

Huh? You asked about grant money and he gave you answer about a loan. :confused:

Some people on here seem to be really out of the loop. At least for the schools where I interviewed (and therefore attended a financial aid info session), parents' financial info is required for need-based aid. Yes, the federal government says you are independent when applying for graduate school, but schools can award you different amounts of need-based aid depending on your parents' financials. For example, any school that requires CSS Profile (in addition to FAFSA) needs parents' info, and UConn requires parents' tax info even though they don't use Profile.

I'm surprised how rude some posters are when they clearly lack the knowledge to respond to this thread. As much as it might be interesting to take out loans for 100% of my costs, it might be an intelligent move to take advantage of some FREE need-based money, even if it's only a few thousand per year. 90% loans is better than 100% loans. And yes, getting things like "tuition remission" (aka free money) does require parents' info, contrary to what Medwell and Dentaldawg32 would lead you to believe. Low financial standing of you and parents = more need-based aid money.

For example, see the UConn financial aid page:
http://studentservices.uchc.edu/financial/checklist.html

This page clearly states the following:
"Students interested in institutional funding such as Tuition Remission and University Loans must also complete and submit these additional forms.
UConn Application – Part II
Signed Copy of the Parent(s) 2009 Federal Tax Return
Copies of Parent(s) 2009 W-2 Statements
"

Let us know how much "need-based" aid you get (and no, I'm not referring to loans).

Zricemam,

Was you entire loan package met with the 5% HPSL? Did you have no unsubsidized Stafford at 6.8%?

Zricemam,

Was you entire loan package met with the 5% HPSL? Did you have no unsubsidized Stafford at 6.8%?

I go to an expensive private school. I still have the staffords both sub and unsub. When I was awarded the hpsl the school returned the 99% of the gradplus loans and substituted that amount with the hpsl. So my hpsl amount is about the same as the staffords.

Your parents' income has nothing to do with you anymore. You're graduating college soon and you're an adult - start thinking independently of your parents.

As someone who comes from a family that has faced significant financial hardships throughout his entire upbringing, I find it hard not to be outraged when I come across naive statements like this. What you're claiming is no different than claiming that Halliburton's revenue is of no concern to Dick Cheney because he's not its CEO anymore. It's an absurd claim to make because it has no basis in reality. In the eyes of the law, yes, you are nominally an independent entity set loose in the world to pave your own way and make a name for yourself with no other crutch to fall on but your own ingenuity. But that's not how it really works.

I'm guessing that you're either someone who comes from money or someone who has been utterly duped by the self-rationalizing claims of people with money that the world described above actually exists. In reality, money begets money, and poverty begets poverty. A perfect example is something as simple as being able to afford a Kaplan prep course. Regardless of how talented an individual might be in regards to scientific and spatial reasoning, it is an indisputable fact that seeing the format and type of content presented on the DAT beforehand gives one a competitive advantage over others who can't afford to enroll in the course.

I don't want to start a fight here. I just wanted to point out that, whether you realized it or not, your comment was both callous and insulting to people who don't have a financial support network to fall back on during hard times. The same goes for you, dentaldawg.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm tired of seeing threads like this... just plan on taking out loans like everyone else. I highly doubt that you make much less money than the average college student.
:laugh:

This shows what you know about the dental school financial aid process.

Lesson learned from using SDN:

1. Post reasonable and well-informed question.
2. Receive ignorant and condescending responses.

I thought dental students were supposed to be busy with school. Why are these guys trolling these forums? Well, at least they've been dealt with for now. Thanks to those of you who have posted useful/accurate responses so far.

Anyway, I hope someone will be able to respond to the original question about the partial/full tuition remission or merit-based scholarships that are available. I've received detailed info about similar options at other schools, just not at UConn yet.

Has anyone been given scholarships yet (at any school) or do they not give them until we accept? I'm most interested in UConn as well though.

pretty sure that if you can get minority status, you'll get a free ride... it can be frustrating, but that's reality...

Speaking of which, does UConn have a diverse student population? I can't seem to find any numbers regarding race/ethnicity of the class on their website.

I'm guessing that you're either someone who comes from money or someone who has been utterly duped by the self-rationalizing claims of people with money that the world described above actually exists.
I certainly don't "come from money". I pay for college myself through a combination of one scholarship (merit-based, not need-based), working part-time during school, and very well-paid jobs/internships over the summers. Unlike people who receive support from their parents throughout undergrad, I
- have never owned my own car, and probably won't for quite some time
- live in the cheapest apartment in my school's city
- will never be able to take classes over summer or study/volunteer abroad
- will certainly not be taking a Kaplan, etc. course
and the list goes on. I have never been eligible to apply for any need-based merit (I'm against the concept anyway) because of my lack of permanent residency, but I doubt I'd qualify (parents' income) anyway.

As someone who has lived almost exclusively independently since 18, I am just sick of seeing people going on about "my parents want me to become a _____", "I'm tired of showing my grades to my parents, who I live with" "my parents are paying for me to go to ______ school." I got through undergrad on my own and, if I go to professional school, fully plan on getting through it with loans. The law says you're an adult at 18 - time to grow up.