Financial Aid for DPT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1123grrf!

Reaction score
I have read through a lot of threads regarding financial aid, but I have not quite found the answer to my question.
I recently got accepted into school for DPT at a private school in Indiana (my second choice :)), however, I am waitlisted at my number one choice (a public school/Mizzou) in the town I currently live in. I have tried contacting Mizzou regarding my questions, but they do not seem to know the answer. I do not want to ask the school that I accepted about another school's financial aid either.

So my questions is if I fill out financial aid for the school in Indiana by the March deadline, and I get accepted into Mizzou can I transfer my financial aid? My understanding is that aid comes from the school you apply to, so if I find out in June that I got accepted off of the waitlist, does financial aid let you fill out the application for the other school later?

I appreciate any help or advice on this, or any direction on who I can contact regarding my questions. I understand it is a while away, but I know time is going to fly and I want to be prepared.

Members don't see this ad.

I have read through a lot of threads regarding financial aid, but I have not quite found the answer to my question.
I recently got accepted into school for DPT at a private school in Indiana (my second choice :)), however, I am waitlisted at my number one choice (a public school/Mizzou) in the town I currently live in. I have tried contacting Mizzou regarding my questions, but they do not seem to know the answer. I do not want to ask the school that I accepted about another school's financial aid either.

So my questions is if I fill out financial aid for the school in Indiana by the March deadline, and I get accepted into Mizzou can I transfer my financial aid? My understanding is that aid comes from the school you apply to, so if I find out in June that I got accepted off of the waitlist, does financial aid let you fill out the application for the other school later?

I appreciate any help or advice on this, or any direction on who I can contact regarding my questions. I understand it is a while away, but I know time is going to fly and I want to be prepared.
If the private school awards financial aid via the FAFSA, as most schools do, then all you have to do is select both schools when selecting the schools you wish to send your FAFSA too. It gets more complicated if then you go ahead and sign the paperwork for loans prior to being accepted to your first choice school. It should be possible to withdraw any paperwork for your second choice school and have new paperwork completed for your first choice school. I would highly recommend starting a live chat with someone from the federal student aid website. The option to do so is found at the bottom of this link. https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa/filling-out/help

Reactions: 1 user
That is really strange that financial aid office does not know the answer to your question... Maybe ask them to talk to someone who may know the answer?
Create an email address with a fake name and ask the other school financial aid people your question. You can also call them without giving them your name.
I believe you have maybe a couple of weeks after the beginning of your 1st semester to cancel/change your financial aid for the 1st semester (and the rest of the academic year). Disbursement for each semester occurs a couple of weeks after the beginning of each semester. So if both programs start around the same month, you should be ok with your financial aid. Just make sure to cancel it as soon as you know you are going to the other school.
If program 1 starts let's say in June and program 2 starts in Sept, and you start program 1 in June and then in July you decide to switch to program 2, then you will not be able to cancel your financial aid for program 1 (for the 1st semester only) and still will have to get financial aid for program 2.
With that being said, I am not sure if all the schools process financial aid the same way my school did, so the best thing to do is to contact your schools financial aid office and ask them to find a person who does know the answer to your question. They should provide you with the most accurate information.

Reactions: 1 user