Financial aid for prerequisites (post-bac)?

Started by jrc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jrc

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know of a source for financial aid for prerequisites? Are there any scholarships for people embarking on the PT path?

A bit about me: I graduated from college 6.5 years ago and have happily decided to go back for a DPT. I have 6 science courses to take, which will cost about $3,000 (total) at a community college, and I can't afford them...other than putting them on a credit card.

Thanks in advance for any ideas/advice/info.
 
Does anyone know of a source for financial aid for prerequisites? Are there any scholarships for people embarking on the PT path?

A bit about me: I graduated from college 6.5 years ago and have happily decided to go back for a DPT. I have 6 science courses to take, which will cost about $3,000 (total) at a community college, and I can't afford them...other than putting them on a credit card.

Thanks in advance for any ideas/advice/info.

I'm not sure if you can get financial aid for pre-requisites if you are not advancing towards agree. I don't think you can, but I may be wrong. I know you could probably get a private bank loan to help pay for school.

I'm probably going to take 3 or 4 pre-reqs this summer that will probably run me between 2300 and 2600 (combination of University Level and community college). I was struggling with how I was going to pay for them until I got a decent size tax return back.

However, I may be in your shoes if I have to continue to take courses in the fall...so I'm interested to hear responses as well...
 
As far as I know, you would just need to be a full time student to receive financial aid. I am, however, not completely sure on this. Check the fafsa web site
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know of a source for financial aid for prerequisites? Are there any scholarships for people embarking on the PT path?

A bit about me: I graduated from college 6.5 years ago and have happily decided to go back for a DPT. I have 6 science courses to take, which will cost about $3,000 (total) at a community college, and I can't afford them...other than putting them on a credit card.

Thanks in advance for any ideas/advice/info.

I suggest going directly to the source (fin aid at the CC) rather than depending solely on advice here, but as far as I am aware, there is zero aid for prereq courses. You would need to be in a degree granting program and/or full time at the very least I believe. Though if you can take care of that many prereqs for only $3k, that's incredible! Would it be manageable for you if you spread the courses out a little and had the school put you on a payment plan?
 
Where are you taking your pre-req? $3000 total sounds a bit expensive for a community college. I took all of my pre-reqs (5 classes) and it cost me about $800. I think $3000 is a tad expensive. I am also factoring in books and supplies. The books can be bought online for relatively cheap as well.
 
Where are you taking your pre-req? $3000 total sounds a bit expensive for a community college. I took all of my pre-reqs (5 classes) and it cost me about $800. I think $3000 is a tad expensive. I am also factoring in books and supplies. The books can be bought online for relatively cheap as well.

Really? Assuming each class is 3 credits, that's around $50/credit without factoring fees and supplies! All of the community colleges I've dealt with run around $85/credit for in-county residents and more for out-of-county. I suppose that means rates vary a LOT between states? I took one course out-of-county and after fees and books, the one course cost me around $750. If you did 5 classes under $800... that's a total steal. What state are you in?
 
Really? Assuming each class is 3 credits, that's around $50/credit without factoring fees and supplies! All of the community colleges I've dealt with run around $85/credit for in-county residents and more for out-of-county. I suppose that means rates vary a LOT between states? I took one course out-of-county and after fees and books, the one course cost me around $750. If you did 5 classes under $800... that's a total steal. What state are you in?

I guess I did get a deal. I am in CA and I did all of my pre-reqs at three different community colleges and each credit/unit cost my $20. I did about 20 credits so it cost me only $400 plus the added cost of parking pass, books, supplies. I also borrowed some books from the library and made copies as well as using older books I had kept from undergraduate studies. There are many ways you can save money. I guess in other states it could be more expensive based on tuition and other factors.
 
I guess I did get a deal. I am in CA and I did all of my pre-reqs at three different community colleges and each credit/unit cost my $20. I did about 20 credits so it cost me only $400 plus the added cost of parking pass, books, supplies. I also borrowed some books from the library and made copies as well as using older books I had kept from undergraduate studies. There are many ways you can save money. I guess in other states it could be more expensive based on tuition and other factors.

Wow, that is fantastic. I didn't realize that things varied so much from one state to another. What an opportunity you have there though! I am paying 10x that much per credit for the community college course I am in right now.
 
Yeah, I had no idea community college can be so expensive in other states. There are many other ways you can save money besides tuition. Like I stated before, you can buy used books, borrow books, even park off campus and walk (no parking permit needed) and many other things.
 
Thank you all for the input! I really appreciate your responses. Unfortunately, the CC I'm taking classes at only gives aid to people enrolled in one of their specific programs. It looks like a loan and/or spreading it out over time is the best way... Any other thoughts are highly welcome.

Yeah, $800 for 5 classes is wonderfully cheap. My classes are at North Seattle CC and are about $450 for a 5 credit hour class with a lab, and books are additional. Still, it's much cheaper than a university.