Financial aid for prerequisites (post-bac)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jrc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a source for financial aid for prerequisites? Are there any scholarships for people embarking on the PT path?

A bit about me: I graduated from college 6.5 years ago and have happily decided to go back for a DPT. I have 6 science courses to take, which will cost about $3,000 (total) at a community college, and I can't afford them...other than putting them on a credit card.

Thanks in advance for any ideas/advice/info.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know of a source for financial aid for prerequisites? Are there any scholarships for people embarking on the PT path?

A bit about me: I graduated from college 6.5 years ago and have happily decided to go back for a DPT. I have 6 science courses to take, which will cost about $3,000 (total) at a community college, and I can't afford them...other than putting them on a credit card.

I'm not sure if you can get financial aid for pre-requisites if you are not advancing towards agree. I don't think you can, but I may be wrong. I know you could probably get a private bank loan to help pay for school.

I'm probably going to take 3 or 4 pre-reqs this summer that will probably run me between 2300 and 2600 (combination of University Level and community college). I was struggling with how I was going to pay for them until I got a decent size tax return back.

However, I may be in your shoes if I have to continue to take courses in the fall...so I'm interested to hear responses as well...

As far as I know, you would just need to be a full time student to receive financial aid. I am, however, not completely sure on this. Check the fafsa web site

Members don't see this ad :)

I suggest going directly to the source (fin aid at the CC) rather than depending solely on advice here, but as far as I am aware, there is zero aid for prereq courses. You would need to be in a degree granting program and/or full time at the very least I believe. Though if you can take care of that many prereqs for only $3k, that's incredible! Would it be manageable for you if you spread the courses out a little and had the school put you on a payment plan?

Where are you taking your pre-req? $3000 total sounds a bit expensive for a community college. I took all of my pre-reqs (5 classes) and it cost me about $800. I think $3000 is a tad expensive. I am also factoring in books and supplies. The books can be bought online for relatively cheap as well.

Where are you taking your pre-req? $3000 total sounds a bit expensive for a community college. I took all of my pre-reqs (5 classes) and it cost me about $800. I think $3000 is a tad expensive. I am also factoring in books and supplies. The books can be bought online for relatively cheap as well.

Really? Assuming each class is 3 credits, that's around $50/credit without factoring fees and supplies! All of the community colleges I've dealt with run around $85/credit for in-county residents and more for out-of-county. I suppose that means rates vary a LOT between states? I took one course out-of-county and after fees and books, the one course cost me around $750. If you did 5 classes under $800... that's a total steal. What state are you in?

Really? Assuming each class is 3 credits, that's around $50/credit without factoring fees and supplies! All of the community colleges I've dealt with run around $85/credit for in-county residents and more for out-of-county. I suppose that means rates vary a LOT between states? I took one course out-of-county and after fees and books, the one course cost me around $750. If you did 5 classes under $800... that's a total steal. What state are you in?

I guess I did get a deal. I am in CA and I did all of my pre-reqs at three different community colleges and each credit/unit cost my $20. I did about 20 credits so it cost me only $400 plus the added cost of parking pass, books, supplies. I also borrowed some books from the library and made copies as well as using older books I had kept from undergraduate studies. There are many ways you can save money. I guess in other states it could be more expensive based on tuition and other factors.

I guess I did get a deal. I am in CA and I did all of my pre-reqs at three different community colleges and each credit/unit cost my $20. I did about 20 credits so it cost me only $400 plus the added cost of parking pass, books, supplies. I also borrowed some books from the library and made copies as well as using older books I had kept from undergraduate studies. There are many ways you can save money. I guess in other states it could be more expensive based on tuition and other factors.

Wow, that is fantastic. I didn't realize that things varied so much from one state to another. What an opportunity you have there though! I am paying 10x that much per credit for the community college course I am in right now.

Yeah, I had no idea community college can be so expensive in other states. There are many other ways you can save money besides tuition. Like I stated before, you can buy used books, borrow books, even park off campus and walk (no parking permit needed) and many other things.

Thank you all for the input! I really appreciate your responses. Unfortunately, the CC I'm taking classes at only gives aid to people enrolled in one of their specific programs. It looks like a loan and/or spreading it out over time is the best way... Any other thoughts are highly welcome.

Yeah, $800 for 5 classes is wonderfully cheap. My classes are at North Seattle CC and are about $450 for a 5 credit hour class with a lab, and books are additional. Still, it's much cheaper than a university.