Financial Aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.No

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has received their financial aid packages from med schools? Im still waiting on mine and they told me to expect it about mid-april. Does it usually take this long?

Members don't see this ad.

most of the time, people don't fill out the FAFSA until way after the deadline. That is one reason the packages come out later. The FAO has to get the copy electronically to assess your eligibility for FA.

Originally posted by electra:
•most of the time, people don't fill out the FAFSA until way after the deadline. That is one reason the packages come out later. The FAO has to get the copy electronically to assess your eligibility for FA.•

Really? My school virtually guaranteed that the disbursements would be delayed until after classes began if you missed the deadline. Though, it was perhaps an idle threat, I get the impression that the same is true for people (like me) who finished with time to spare. I still have not received my notice, though my file is 'in order' according to the FAO.

Members don't see this ad :)
In my experience, most schools seen award notices in June/early July at latest. Remember in Med school you are basically only able for loans, unless you get some type of scholarship. So just be patient, finaid office wants to make sure the school gets their money and you cannot get a disbursment untill you are offically registered. For me registration occured the first day.

good luck,

Richard

Well I finally received my financial aid package and it consisted only of loans. I thought I would get some type of scholarship. Does anyone know of any sources to find some types of scholarships for minorites?

I just got my award letter. I ask about the scholarship thing as well. The SDS grants and most of the institutional "Free Money" awards are not granted till Dec. When I asked for an explanation, none was given. At least debt load would be lowered for one semester.

Your loan disbursements should be on time if you have filed the FAFSA, received and returned the award letter, chosen a lender through the school, and sent back the promissory note before August 1st. If you choose a lender that is not on your school's preferred lender list, be prepared to wait for a check, which will take about two weeks longer than EFT.

The processing of loans is done electronically and is quite fast when the student fills forms out correctly and turns them in on time. The big problem is when the student does the FAFSA on august 1st, has to make corrections, gets selected for verification, takes his/her sweet time about turning everything in and then can't have money until december.

That is an interesting comment by your schools FAO.

Your loan disbursements should be on time if you have filed the FAFSA, received and returned the award letter, chosen a lender through the school, and sent back the promissory note before August 1st. If you choose a lender that is not on your school's preferred lender list, be prepared to wait for a check, which will take about two weeks longer than EFT.

The processing of loans is done electronically and is quite fast when the student fills forms out correctly and turns them in on time. The big problem is when the student does the FAFSA on august 1st, has to make corrections, gets selected for verification, takes his/her sweet time about turning everything in and then can't have money until december.