Financial Aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brill

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know when we'll get our financial aid funds once we've completed the FAFSA?

This is my first time applying for financial aid.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's usually the second or third week of each semester (or quarter) when the refunds are available. This year was my first year with FAFSA and Sallie Mae and that's how it worked for me. I think that it depends on the school to a certain extent, but it's usually a few weeks into the semester/quarter. At Midwestern's financial aid presentation they recomended bringing "a month's worth" of money since financial aid doesn't come though right away (and bills do!).

Jd

So we have to initially pay for tuition, books, housing, etc., without the help of financial aid?

I thought financial aid was something you received *prior* to starting school so that you can buy books, find a place to live, etc.? I must admit that I'm completely ignorant about the whole financial aid process. All I know is that I need to complete FAFSA. Beyond that I'm more or less lost.

Oh, no, it pays for tuition automatically. Sometimes they will give you a book allowance too, but it won't pay for housing or anything else unless you're on campus. That's just my experience here, and it seems to be that way at Midwestern, but I can't be sure for every school. It sucks, but it sure is nice when it finally comes!

Jd