Bargain/negotiate for financial aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Have you done this before?

• Yes and was SUCCESSFUL

• No

• Yes and was UNSUCCESSFUL

Results are only viewable after voting.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Soooo I haven't heard about this in the Pharmacy forums so I'm not sure if it's "kosher" at all.

Basic info: I'm from CA and I have been accepted to an OOS school that is pretty cheap even without financial aid. However, I would much prefer to go to a school in CA for which I have just received acceptance. Also, CA school is a little on the expensive side. OOS is 3 ranks higher than the CA school.

I guess my question is this: Is it acceptable or normal to ask my CA school to give me a financial aid package to offset the difference in costs of attendance?

The OOS school is almost half the price, even if I didn't apply for In-state tuition (which can be done after the first year).

I read on the non-pharmacy forums on SDN that you need leverage but then nothing about how to go about asking so here's my other question: How do I go about asking it as well?

Members don't see this ad.

Unless if you qualify for scholarships (not loans) at the CA school, then all I have to say is: go to the OOS school.

Soooo I haven't heard about this in the Pharmacy forums so I'm not sure if it's "kosher" at all.

Basic info: I'm from CA and I have been accepted to an OOS school that is pretty cheap even without financial aid. However, I would much prefer to go to a school in CA for which I have just received acceptance. Also, CA school is a little on the expensive side. OOS is 3 ranks higher than the CA school.

I guess my question is this: Is it acceptable or normal to ask my CA school to give me a financial aid package to offset the difference in costs of attendance?

The OOS school is almost half the price, even if I didn't apply for In-state tuition (which can be done after the first year).

I read on the non-pharmacy forums on SDN that you need leverage but then nothing about how to go about asking so here's my other question: How do I go about asking it as well?

You can definitely try. Ask if they have scholarship funds or grant money to off-set the cost. I have to say though, I doubt you'll be successful. I think they'd rather take another student off the waitlist than give you free money. I personally tried this, and I was unsuccessful. But perhaps you'll have more luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Put yourself in the school's shoes: why should they give you money to attend their school when they could grab someone else who is willing to pay the full cost out of his/her own pocket? Unless if you truly are God's gift to pharmacy and have done incredible things up to the point of applying, you've got hardly any leverage because of the high number of students getting into school these days.

And go to that OOS school if it truly is half the cost of the California school. Take it from a fellow Californian who went OOS to cut down on the loans he needed to pull out. Don't commit financial suicide. Your future self will thank you.