Financial Aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keiki

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi all

i was a bit discouraged today when i received my packet for my financial aid award. it's so depressing. the small amount that they did offer me was all in the forms of loans. i hope they didnt' base my need off of my salary from last year, because i won't be making the same amount while i'm in school (not that it was a lot to start, but more than what i'll be making in school!)!! i was hoping that you could share your financial aid tips, or any loans/grants that you've applied for.. i know that a lot of deadlines have already passed, but it'll be good to know for the coming years.

i'm sooo not looking forward to the 120k i'll be in debt after coming out of school.. basically i'll be working for free after i get out of school because of all the loans i'll be paying for!

oh one more question.. not pertaining to financial aid.. how does the last year of rotations work? can you usually go to any state you want (that'll accept you..do you even have to apply?)?? does it differ from school to school?

thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Keiki,

I completely agree with you. The formula they used to come up with your expected family contribution is absurd. For example, although I live in the Bay Area and make probably 20% more than a person with a similar occupation living in another part of the US, my living expenses are also way higher. However, according to the government, they think that I'm living it up, so I am responsible for 70% of the cost for the first year. Ouch!
If you want to search for scholarships or grants, www.fastweb.com offers a personalized listing based on the background information you give them, i.e. sports, interests, hobbies, hometown, religious affiliation, etc. While I was at a pharmacy information day, some of the students on the forum told me that they earned extra money by working as pharmacy interns at the local retail pharmacies during the school year and summer. Of course, with the paltry wage they pay you, it won't add up anywhere in the vicinity of $120 K, but every little bit helps. Either they are all Einsteins or didn't mind getting a "B" or "C" grade once in a while, they all thought it is possible to juggle school and work. You'll have to test that one out for yourself. True, you will be paying up the ying-yang after you graduate, but the investment is well worth it. I figure that with a PharmD, you can live comfortably, meaning that you can afford to own a home, a car, and start a family. However, if you are like me and have a bachelor's degree in some biological science field, more than likely you are living from one month to the next. Good luck hunting down the funds you are looking for.