Oct 27, 2010
Status
What is the most need based aid (grants only) a dental student will be awarded? Will a person be awareded more grants if they attend a private school rather than their state school?
A friend of mine, who is a dental school applicant, has extreme financial hardship (family). He applied as a economically disadvantaged applicant and even obtained supplemental application fee waivers at several schools. He received a lot of grants during undergraduate. I know it is difficult to say now, but what is the maximum need based aid (grants only) that he will be awarded for dental school? Or will he mostly get loans?
For example, for undergrad, he attended a state school and then transferred to a private school, and the tuition for both schools were pretty much the same cost for him, because he received a lot more grants at the private university. Would this the same case for dental school, as well?

bigstix808

Mac Daddy Member
10+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2007
GA
Status
Dentist
What is the most need based aid (grants only) a dental student will be awarded? Will a person be awareded more grants if they attend a private school rather than their state school?
A friend of mine, who is a dental school applicant, has extreme financial hardship (family). He applied as a economically disadvantaged applicant and even obtained supplemental application fee waivers at several schools. He received a lot of grants during undergraduate. I know it is difficult to say now, but what is the maximum need based aid (grants only) that he will be awarded for dental school? Or will he mostly get loans?
For example, for undergrad, he attended a state school and then transferred to a private school, and the tuition for both schools were pretty much the same cost for him, because he received a lot more grants at the private university. Would this the same case for dental school, as well?
graduate/professional schools follow a different set of rules for grants/loans/etc than udergrad systems.

other perameters that could determine how much money is awarded (via grants) is if said student is a dependent of parents or not.... if so, expect SOME extra grant money...if not, expect hardly any (private or public)

another note...no matter who you are, or how you claim your status, you are only allowed to be awarded FA (loans+grants+scholarships+etc) up to the amount of your cost of attendance dictated by your school. only exception is if grant/scholarship (not loans!!!) are awarded to YOU directly and do not go through the school.

basically...unless your friend is getting money from a private person writing him/her a check for school .... then they are only going to be allowed to get aid up to cost of attendence (usually fed/state money). grants are harder to come by once you're out of undergrad ... good luck.

OP
T
Oct 27, 2010
Status
Thanks. Are you saying if his parents have him as a dependent he should expect some extra money?