Financial Assistance Program Timing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

[Future]DrPrincess

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I have a question for anyone who has applied for the Financial Assistance Program. I will be taking my exam in April of 2016, and will be applying for 2017 matriculation. When should I apply for FAP so that everything can be completed in time?

Members don't see this ad.

I believe the FAP is a yearly program, so you should before registering for your MCAT to get the reduced price and--if you registered for the MCAT before the start of 2016--apply again at the beginning of 2016.

They just had to name it FAP.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I believe the FAP is a yearly program, so you should before registering for your MCAT to get the reduced price and--if you registered for the MCAT before the start of 2016--apply again at the beginning of 2016.
Wrong. FAP benefits are available for 2 calendar years. But you only get 1 free AMCAS submission. BUT you can apply each year, even before your current 2-year benefits expire, up to a maximum of 5 applications.

Oshawott – you should apply for FAP right now before you register for your MCAT (using the tax forms you filed in 2015 that reflect 2014 income). So if you apply in August 2015, your benefits will extend all the way to August 2017, covering your entire application cycle.

Wrong. FAP benefits are available for 2 calendar years. But you only get 1 free AMCAS submission. BUT you can apply each year, even before your current 2-year benefits expire, up to a maximum of 5 applications.

Oshawott – you should apply for FAP right now before you register for your MCAT (using the tax forms you filed in 2015 that reflect 2014 income). So if you apply in August 2015, your benefits will extend all the way to August 2017, covering your entire application cycle.
+1, excellent description.

According to this: https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/fap/benefits/ they would expire Dec. 2016

Great! Thank you so much for your help! I will be applying as soon as I get back on campus! :)