Financial?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Biassi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got accepted and now I'm sitting here thinling about how I'm gonna finance my study!!!! Does anyone notice that the schools don't talk about room and board? All they talk about is tuition and fees?

Members don't see this ad.

I was reading on one website that their estimated cost was $45,000 per year. That included tuition, fees, room, board, books, and some extra money.

They then went on to say, "Eligible Doctor of Pharmacy students may borrow up to $31,000 per nine-month academic year from the Federal Stafford Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loan programs."

I don't know how I'm going to manage to come up with the rest of that money!!!

I'm wondering about that too. Now things are getting confusing!!!!! SO sick of this whole process of getting into pharmacy

Members don't see this ad :)
The sad thing is that getting in is only the first step. Then you have to figure out how to pay for it all...and even harder for me...how to move all of your stuff across the country! Right now, getting in is looking like the easy part to me!

I got accepted and now I'm sitting here thinling about how I'm gonna finance my study!!!! Does anyone notice that the schools don't talk about room and board? All they talk about is tuition and fees?

I would guess that is because we are supposed to be adults at this point. Living on a college campus in dorms when your 23-26ish is just....weird. When you apply for FAFSA and your school sends you a financial aid packet, it should include estimates for cost of living in the area. Just don't expect them to find you a place to stay!

I have to move accross the country too. SO i guess I have to live on campus the first two quarter and then find housing!!!!!!!!!

I would guess that is because we are supposed to be adults at this point. Living on a college campus in dorms when your 23-26ish is just....weird. When you apply for FAFSA and your school sends you a financial aid packet, it should include estimates for cost of living in the area. Just don't expect them to find you a place to stay!

Come on in the dorms we could make a little money on the side buying the youngins beer and such, there's an illegal way to finance some of your Grad education. Plus we would know where all the killer sweet parties that we won't have time for are going to be.:)

Well, after the Stafford loans are maxed out (I thought there were rumors the amount you could borrow was going to increase, but I'm not sure), there are GradPLUS loans - I think they are slightly more favorable in terms of interest (and maybe there is a cap on the interest rate too?) than other private loans. And speaking of, there are always private loans - most will probably recommend a co-signer and I think the interest rates are typically a bit higher than federal loans. I'm just starting this process too - good luck with it!

If it also worth a shot to join www.fastweb.com or something like it and stay on the look out for scholarships for professional and grad students. There doesn't seem to be that many but they are worth a shot. Free money for writing an essay or filling out an application, can't hurt to try.

Also if you are in a state that allows you to work as an intern once you start as a P1 approach local pharmacies or chain stores and try to get some hours on weekends or after school. Extra cash and great experience if you can find it.

If you have to there are always private loans for pharmacy school, I get calls every week from lenders. The interest rates are higher, but your education is an investment that is sure to bring in great returns in the future.

I can't imagine living in the dorms again....

Anyway, for housing try www.craigslist.org

Search by state and then city/county. They have options to look for apartments and then roomate/housemate options if you don't want to live alone.