Financing Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chemstud

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning on going to med school next year...and was wondering how in the world do you afford to live? I mean, I know you can get loans for tuition and books and stuff, but what about living expenses such as a car, rent, and food? How does one afford these during medical school, can you take loans for this stuff as well? Any input/stories would be greatly appreciated...

Members don't see this ad.

I believe either:
a) Move in with your bf/gf and mooch off of them
b) Private loans (probably unsubsidized)
c) Mommy and Daddy
d) Sell your body to science
e) Sell your soul to the devil
f) Hi-priced *****.

Originally posted by Chemstud
I am planning on going to med school next year...and was wondering how in the world do you afford to live? I mean, I know you can get loans for tuition and books and stuff, but what about living expenses such as a car, rent, and food? How does one afford these during medical school, can you take loans for this stuff as well? Any input/stories would be greatly appreciated...

your loans are based on a budget that includes tuition, supplies, food, rent, etc. that way you can live in relatively normal conditions.

i'll be dealing with financial aid shortly, but for now i would say... first, look at the financial aid discussions here on SDN. thousands of people do this every year, so any question we'd want to ask has probably already been discussed at length on that discussion board.

my other point is to think about it from the loaning institution's perspective: let's say that by giving someone an extra $2K/year when they're already taking out say $42K/year per year that student can focus only on school instead of maybe having to get a job. or they can simply enjoy themselves more and eat better. the point: sad, stressed people probably flunk out of med school more than contented ones... and people who flunk out of med school probably default on their loans a helluva lot more. so it's in the lending institution's best interest to make sure students are happy and focusing on school so they can pay back the loan after graduation and residency.