Financing Medical education in Ireland and UK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gmacpac

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I know this issue has been visited multiple times on SDN; but I thought I would ask again in case there are new options available to finance education.

I will be a USA student in Europe, I will be filing my FAFSA shortly (I dont know how Canadian students file for Financial Aid)

Roughly, how much aid is approved by FAFSA, and how much extra help is available from other sources?

Also, what other options are available out there besides your traditional bank loans?

Please be generous and post as many replies as you can.

thx
GMACPAC

Members don't see this ad.

Regarding FAFSA, you'll be able to get the Stafford loan worth 18500 (unless something has changed recently). 10,000 is subsidized (ie. govt pays interest) and 8500 will accrue interest that you'll eventually have to absorb.

This doesn't cover all of tuition obviously, so the remainder will have to be obtained by private bank loans. There aren't really other sources.

When you approach your final year, there is a "secret" interest-free 6500 euro bank loan that you can get from Bank of Ireland. Just mention med-student loan. But you'll have to be in your later years of medicine to get it, and by the time you reach it things/amount may have changed.