Financing Podiatry school HELPPP PLEASE!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TintaghGal

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I've been to podiatry school and am now in the process of figuring out how to finance it :scared: I could do with some insight and have a few ?'s for all of you if you wouldn't mind answering them.

1.) Which would benefit me most to receive student loans, filing under my parents name or my own name?

2.) Can you get grants as a podiatry student or is all aide given in the form of loans?

3.) Also... any helpful hints you could offer would be more than appreciated... this is overwhelming!! haha

Thanks so much!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone!

I've been to podiatry school and am now in the process of figuring out how to finance it :scared: I could do with some insight and have a few ?'s for all of you if you wouldn't mind answering them.

1.) Which would benefit me most to receive student loans, filing under my parents name or my own name?

2.) Can you get grants as a podiatry student or is all aide given in the form of loans?

3.) Also... any helpful hints you could offer would be more than appreciated... this is overwhelming!! haha

Thanks so much!!!!

there aren't any grants for pod students. correct if wrong, but i think grants are only used in undergraduate programs. maybe not. in any case, there aren't grants available for pod school like there were in undergrad.

the gov't will lend you a life time amount of 189,xxxK for schooling through the stafford program. if you took out a significant amount of loan money from them in undergrad, you will need to find other financing. the stafford program is not FICO score based, and unless you are a dependent child, you have apply under your own name. (if you are a dependent, you must submit your parents' tax info, but i don't think it is considered a co-sign.) if you have little to no stafford debt from undergrad, you will probably be able to pay for school throught the stafford program alone. if you have already tapped into the program in a relatively big way, your financing will come from a different plan (health plus, HSPL, those might be same thing, but there are different programs available from which to chose) or from private financing, like through your family's bank, etc. at that point, if you have the credit history, etc. to take the loan in your own name, i would. if not, you will have no other choice than to get your mom or dad to co-sign with you.
things may have changed over the past couple of years, but those are the broad strokes. hope it helps.

Thanks! that was very helpful, I appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Question: Do you need to pay for your students loans during the residency years or you can suspend it till you get out of residency?

Question: Do you need to pay for your students loans during the residency years or you can suspend it till you get out of residency?

I think you can defer them for 3-4 yrs. Lol! tats gonna be horrible if they make you start paying the loans with the 36K-40K salary you get in residency.

I think financing podiatry is really not bad for a regular average student (by that i mean, you went to a normal univ, had moderate undergrad loans, never went to jail:) or are aged with already two mortgage loans,etc ). schools give good scholarships if you have good GPA and scores. I got a 7k scholarship and there are some i know who have like 10-12K scholarship. So the loans are not that bad.

Scholl's financial package gives you 43.5 K which includes $1650 monthly expenses.

The four yr loan will be around 200K plus whatever you had in undergrad (which many of us have like 30-45K max).

The pods whom i shadowed said thats really not that bad because you will be earning good and can easily pay it. And practially also it makes sense. Average Pods (even if we go by the lowest estimation) makes around 120k. Anyone can keep aside $1.5-2k monthly for loan payments from that. :)

Scholl's financial package gives you 43.5 K which includes $1650 monthly expenses.

When you say that Scholl gives you that much and it includes $1650 monthly living expenses, how are you given that money? Do they mail you a semesters worth of excess loan aid money for housing for you to use to pay for your own housing situation if it is off campus? (hypothetically $1650 x 5mths at a time). I guess my question is, how is this money distributed to the students?

From what I read in the Scholl interview packet, the university will have a student account set up for you and whatever over-payments are made into the account after tuition expenses will be reimbursed through a "student over-payment check" at the end of ever quarter from the business office to cover living expenses. Feel free to correct me if I am misinterpreting this.

Can anyone from Temple Pod clarify or expand on this? I am going there this fall and plan on living off campus with a friend in an apartment. I was anticipating paying for my rent with whatever 'extra' money was left or in the allowance from financial aid to pay for rent. Can anyone explain how this is done? When do you find out exactly how much you will be receiving back? When do you get the check/reimbursement? (1 check per semester, so 2 per year).