Finch Postbbacc!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toxin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any comments about the program, I heard lots of mixed reviews so far but none from people that have attended the program.

Please share.

Members don't see this ad.

bump bump

i really want to find out more about this program too, like how many ppl get accepted... i found out the class sizes are usually about ~100 ppl but they wouldnt tell me how many ppl get accepted.... if anyone knows, plz post, thanks!

oh by the way i am referring to the 1 yr masters in physiology program... any info will help, thx!

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm actually thinking of attending the program if a waitlist acceptance doesn't come through. i spoke with the dean of the med school a few months ago and got a little bit of info. she said that completing the program is not a guarantee for acceptance into the med school. but, if you wind up with a B or better for your GPA and your interview goes well, it's extremely likely you'll get in. (you interview for med school around september but i was told that students still don't know whether or not they have been accepted yet--they have to wait for all of their grades to be in) 6 of the classes in the program are 1st yr med school classes and you take them with med students (and are graded as med students). if you complete the program and go to finch med the next year, you're an M1A and your credits transfer and you only take the remaining ones you need plus some sophomore electives if you want. i'm waiting to get in touch with some people that have already completed the program and are currently med students there. hope this helps.

Thats awesome Peanut... Could you post some more info once you talked to those ex-physios? Its hard to get much in-depth information about the program anywhere on the forum. So did you get an idea how hard the program is?

all i have is totally secondhand info regarding the difficulty of the program. i was told that it may be difficult to ace all of your classes. but i think that depends on the individual and the circumstances. the dean mentioned that those that get the grades and successfully complete the masters have few problems gaining admission. as far as i've heard, that's the real reason people do this program (meaning it's meant to feed into the med school). for those that make it in, i've heard they do quite well overall in med school as they're essentially doing the first year in two and already did well for the first half and have a lighter load for the M1A year.

i'll post the other info when i get it.

i emailed with a fellow sdner re: the finch ap program. he (or she. i'm not sure. for this post we'll assume i was talking to a he) just finished it (and rocked it!). check the pre-allo thread for finch and i think the post is there. anyways, he says that about 90 people started it and 70 finished the program for a multitude of reasons (grades, personal, family, etc) and that maybe about 50 got the required 3.0. bottom line (from what i got) is that it's a difficult program and that you need to work extremely hard. also, these grades count toward your med school gpa (as most of the classes are the 1st yr classes). he also said it's pretty stressful but had some really great things to say about the school and the program. they still don't know whether or not those that got the grades are in for med school, but i got the impression that if your grades are solid then you're set (barring any sort of catastrophic disciplinary stuff).

definitely check out the pre-allo thread and try to talk to someone that has done the program.

hi there. i am actually a M2 that went through the post-bac @ finch. what the peanut99 says it pretty much true.

you basically take 1st year med classes along with the M1 and some other "pysiology masters" classes as well. they have changed the schedule of classes in the past two years where you start out easy, but end up with a very heavy schedule @ the end. it is not impossible to maintain a B average, but it requires work and a lot of time. in the end, it is worth the money and the time if you do well since the majority (note: hasn't been an exception that i am aware of) are accepted into the med school for the following year.

word of warning though. it is extremely stressful. be prepared to work hard for if you don't have the 3.0 at the end of the year, your options can be limited. i assume a post-bac is to raise your gpa and coming out w/ less a 3.0 isn't going to help an applicant.

pm me if you want more info. hope this helps.

Like others, I have a second hand account that is consistent with the above.

I've already applied to Finch for the applied physio program and I'm waiting to hear back. I'm assuming they are waiting on updated MCAT scores.

In any case, a family friend of mine told me that the program is rigorous and that typically half of the students who complete the program gain admission in the Fall to Finch (approx 50 of 100). She also told me that the rest of the people who completed the program but didn't get into a medical schol applied again. Some decided to head off to the Caribbean from frustration! :scared:

My question is... can a good showing in Finch postbac help your chances of being accepted at another medical school? If it's effect is mainly exclusive to Finch, isn't that a little bit of a gamble? It would seem the Drexel IMS or Georgetown SMP are more versatile as far as options are concerned... any thoughts??

i was told that people do in fact apply to other schools. admissions told me that some people do drop the program part of the way because they were accepted to another md program. i was told that this year a handful (4 or 5) had left the program for another md program. i guess it's because you put down the classes you plan to take for the ap program on amcas and then update it after you get your grades. maybe one semester is enough for other schools to interview you/look at your app differently from the year before if you're a reapplicant.

for the ppl who completed the programs, can you tell me the gpa thats usually required to get into finch (gpa of the masters in physio). Coz it seems like if you just get at least 3.0 then you have a good chance of gettin in? I was just wondering, for the ppl in the program, what kind of gpa's they had....

my main question, i guess, is whether or not you just need to get a little above a 3.0 or you have to get near a 4.0... from what i have heard the ppl who said they got in had near 4.0s.... just wondering if the ppl w near 3.0 have a decent chance as well.

also, out of curiosity, if the med courses you take in the program count for ur med school grades, then your first yr in med school will be really easy with not as many classes? or can you re-take classes to get better grades? just wondering...

Bump!

For applicants and acceptees what statistical range--MCAT, GPA--are they looking for in the AP program? Was it difficult getting accepted? Anyone know their applicant to acceptee ratio?--Thanks.

for applicant/aceptee ratio, the last time i called the office, they said that out of 270+ applications they are takin around 100 students. dunno much about the stats range tho, anyone else know?

joe42581 said:
for the ppl who completed the programs, can you tell me the gpa thats usually required to get into finch (gpa of the masters in physio). Coz it seems like if you just get at least 3.0 then you have a good chance of gettin in? I was just wondering, for the ppl in the program, what kind of gpa's they had....

my main question, i guess, is whether or not you just need to get a little above a 3.0 or you have to get near a 4.0... from what i have heard the ppl who said they got in had near 4.0s.... just wondering if the ppl w near 3.0 have a decent chance as well.

also, out of curiosity, if the med courses you take in the program count for ur med school grades, then your first yr in med school will be really easy with not as many classes? or can you re-take classes to get better grades? just wondering...

I would like to know about all this as well... can someone who has finished the program please comment?

as i said in my earlier post, if you guys make it in the program. you have to have a 3.0 to be considered for med school the following year.

if you get a 3.0, unless there is an exception that i am aware of, you will most probably get an acceptance.

the cutoff is firm as well. i know people who missed it by .02 and did not matriculate as a med student the following year.

if you have anymore questions, you guys and personal message me. i would be more than happy to answer your q's.

I am currently deciding between a 1 year Masters in Public Health at Dartmouth, and the 1 year MS in Applied physiology at Finch Univ in Chicago. I am leaning towards Dartmouth, but I've heard the Finch program helps more to get into Med school, because they officially say your chances are improved if you complete the program. Dartmouth, however, does not formally state whether or not your chances of acceptance will improve. I'm having second thoughts now, does anyone have any suggestions?

Finch is in north chicago...about 40 minutes north of the city.

How about MCAT scores for these programs? Do students generally re-take the MCAT during the program? I was accepted to the program, but my MCAT scores are low. If I get a 3.0 will I be accepted into Finch's med school?

I talked to an admissions counselor today, and for GPA she told me 3.3ish. I can remember exact mcat scores but none of them were tens...

Also, for those who have gone through the program....what is it like livng there? And what med schools other than finch did you apply and get accepted to? I love the option of going into med school right after grad school with no lag year, but I would also like to be competetive for other med schools. Any info would be greatly appreciated. :thumbup:

bump!

so what's it like to live north of chicago?

Its a good environment to study in and Chicago is accessible enough for the weekends. Its a suburb and you need a car to get around. Maybe you can be a bit more specific in what aspect of lifestyle is most important to you.