Find a New Dentist to Shadow or Stick with it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

minikay

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
There aren't that many dentists near my neighborhood because I live in a small town, but I contacted several office until I was lucky enough to find one doctor who told me I can shadow her. So last week, I went to her office, and right off the bat, she told me I can do whatever I want, but that I shouldn't talk to her since the patients are who pay the money and she doesn't want them to get irritated by my talking. For about 5 minutes before we starting seeing patients, she asked me whether I had applied already. I told her that I will be applying next cycle (and since I am a rising senior, I will be taking a gap year). She told me that I basically lost all the money I could've have earned by applying a year early, and how my generation of dentist will not be able to earn money through dentistry , and how stupid it was for me to not apply early, and that I should apply right now even though there's almost no chance of me getting in right now. I was very discouraged by her comments, basically from the on, she started seeing patients and didn't talk to me at all. Since she saw patients after patients, I basically had no chance to talk to her or ask questions. The assistants were nice and initiated conversations with me once in a while, but still I felt very uncomfortable. She didn't really let me see what she was doing, and I could only stand behind her back, which meant I couldn't see anything that was going on. When they were treating a patient, the assistant was like "here, come take a look" and the doctor was like "who?" She basically forgot I was even there. They didn't really have a set lunch break, and but around lunch time, everyone disappeared except for the one assistant, and basically I was left alone while everyone else seemed to disappear to eat lunch. I decided to leave and went to go find the doctor that I was going to go. Since there aren't many other dentists around here, I wanted to shadow her for couple more weeks, so I asked her if I can come back again. She told me I can come whenever, and that I don't even have to tell the front desk that I am coming. I was planning to go shadow her tomorrow, but I am hesitant because I don't want the same thing to happen again. Should I find some other dentists to shadow or stick with it hoping it will get better?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
In one way she is right, you are losing out on income down the road, but it is what it is. The fact that she pretty much ignored you during the day would be a turn-off. I'd find someone else. Are you stuck in your town only? I'd start calling around to other dentists. You at least got a feel for the type of dentist you don't want to be if nothing else.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the inputs.

Last edited:
There aren't that many dentists near my neighborhood because I live in a small town, but I contacted several office until I was lucky enough to find one doctor who told me I can shadow her. So last week, I went to her office, and right off the bat, she told me I can do whatever I want, but that I shouldn't talk to her since the patients are who pay the money and she doesn't want them to get irritated by my talking. For about 5 minutes before we starting seeing patients, she asked me whether I had applied already. I told her that I will be applying next cycle (and since I am a rising senior, I will be taking a gap year). She told me that I basically lost all the money I could've have earned by applying a year early, and how my generation of dentist will not be able to earn money through dentistry , and how stupid it was for me to not apply early, and that I should apply right now even though there's almost no chance of me getting in right now. I was very discouraged by her comments, basically from the on, she started seeing patients and didn't talk to me at all. Since she saw patients after patients, I basically had no chance to talk to her or ask questions. The assistants were nice and initiated conversations with me once in a while, but still I felt very uncomfortable. She didn't really let me see what she was doing, and I could only stand behind her back, which meant I couldn't see anything that was going on. When they were treating a patient, the assistant was like "here, come take a look" and the doctor was like "who?" She basically forgot I was even there. They didn't really have a set lunch break, and but around lunch time, everyone disappeared except for the one assistant, and basically I was left alone while everyone else seemed to disappear to eat lunch. I decided to leave and went to go find the doctor that I was going to go. Since there aren't many other dentists around here, I wanted to shadow her for couple more weeks, so I asked her if I can come back again. She told me I can come whenever, and that I don't even have to tell the front desk that I am coming. I was planning to go shadow her tomorrow, but I am hesitant because I don't want the same thing to happen again. Should I find some other dentists to shadow or stick with it hoping it will get better?

well idk why shes bitter and cares about stuff (how this generation will make money in dentisty) thats none of her business. By the way, shadowing in dentistry is like they let you hold the sunction tip correct? because without doing that, what can you see?

when I shadow/volunteer, I just hold the sunction tip

minikay, run away from her! Definitely not worth your time! Yes, shadowing is important for your resume, but you also want to LEARN from the experience to understand if dentistry is really for you. I promise you'll find a passionate, kind, and enthusiastic dentist who'll GLADLY show you what's going on and answer all of your questions! You just have to keep looking!

I was in the same boat a couple of years ago. Everywhere I went, I felt not welcomed, so I kept looking. Now, I'm shadowing a dentist who's not only more accomplished than any other dentist in the area I tried shadowing, (he was a member of the board in our state etc. etc.) but who also shows me things and answers all of my questions with a smile on his face. Sweetest guy ever!

I promise your dentist is also out there! Just keep looking!!

well idk why shes bitter and cares about stuff (how this generation will make money in dentisty) thats none of her business. By the way, shadowing in dentistry is like they let you hold the sunction tip correct? because without doing that, what can you see?

when I shadow/volunteer, I just hold the sunction tip

Not necessarily. Some dentists allow suctioning, some don't. The other dentists let me stand right next to them or their assistants, which gives me a good view.

minikay, run away from her! Definitely not worth your time! Yes, shadowing is important for your resume, but you also want to LEARN from the experience to understand if dentistry is really for you. I promise you'll find a passionate, kind, and enthusiastic dentist who'll GLADLY show you what's going on and answer all of your questions! You just have to keep looking!

I was in the same boat a couple of years ago. Everywhere I went, I felt not welcomed, so I kept looking. Now, I'm shadowing a dentist who's not only more accomplished than any other dentist in the area I tried shadowing, (he was a member of the board in our state etc. etc.) but who also shows me things and answers all of my questions with a smile on his face. Sweetest guy ever!

I promise your dentist is also out there! Just keep looking!!
Thanks for being so encouraging! I'll definitely look around!

Wow

You make it sound so depressing!

I know what you went through some dental environments are just not so cool.

If you decide to stay.... Ask her if she will be willing to write you a LOR after you complete the amount of hours you want to do, example 100 hours..... If she tells you no or idk, then go somewhere else.....

Some dentists could be really weird annoying ppl,....

Don't get discouraged by this dr....

Go to another dentist.... Imo

IDK if anyone mentioned this, but you are also going to be asking the dentist you shadowed for a letter of evaluation. Just something to think about.

Just find someone else, there are dentists out there that will let you shadow and get a great experience out of it.
I had an amazing experience and i'd be willing to share on it if it helps you find the right dentist to shadow. (been shadowing/working with my dentist for about a year)