Finding a date in medical school.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
at 22 , i still do not have a girlfriend. There are lots of great girls in my class... very nice girls- I might add. But then again, there is no rush in life. I am still not ready for any XX karyotype. I will allow one day at a time. Maybe one day I will get myself one good, decent girl. I am just living in a bachelor's fantasy world right now.

Members don't see this ad.

Celestron2000 said:
It really bothers me to hear so many guys complaining that women are so shallow and only interested in money. In the next breath they say that they'd like to meet a nice attractive girl who will stay home with the kids. Personally a guys wealth in of less than nominal importance to me precisely because I plan to have a career myself. A guy's looks may get his foot in the door, but if he doesn't have substance, compassion, and a great sense of humor I won't be going out with him for long. Personally I would consider a man in social work to be a highly attractive canidate, at least you know he has a good heart.You may think I'm full of cr@p, but I'm telling the truth.
Okay, but these guys who are complaining, aren't going to be interested in me because I want to have a career and am not even commited to having kids. Fine, to each their own. But think about this, if you're looking for a woman who wants to be a stay at home mom, of course she's going to be focused on money. If she doesn't marry a man with a large income how can she stay home with the kids?
So stop generalizing and saying that all women are shallow, and are only interested in a man's money, because that's just not true. The real problem is that the TYPE of Woman you're interested in are focused on a guys money!
You complain about women going for badboys, but as far as I'm concerned you're doing the same thing by choosing to go for the gold-diggers. It's your right to make that choice, but then don't complain that you're dating a woman who's just interested in your money and then come on here and say it's true of her and this other girl I dated, therefor it's true of ALL women. Even if I'm the only one who isn't, then it's not ALL women.

Great post. I'm a guy, and if there are any other men out there who have an ounce of respect for individuality and any REAL understanding of feminism- we will agree with the things she is saying here.
Keep looking, Celestron, my money is on you settling with a great guy and having one hell of a happy marriage.

-Vandyfox

All NYC med/grad students should join myspace.com so we can network...this way we can introduce our friends to others etc, etc, etc...

It may be able to help the dating game...

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I realized not to attach blame, morality or judgment in the relationship world. Actions really say all in terms of what I do, and I try to be consistent in the way I approach things. I also notice that the facade of being loyal to one mate is tempered by the innate drive to have a lot of new experiences with different people, be they friendships, lovemaking, affection (all different types of activity with their own value).
For me, I try and stick with the women who have one amorous relationship at a time, but that doesn't mean others who do differently are "bad".

I also think that totally not taking yourself seriously and just giving into the moment and interacting with another girl (and touching each other :) is more important than trying to talk about some high minded stuff.

How likely is it that med students can just be "smooch buddies" , or even "f@#! buddies" for that matter, and just that, strictly platonic, no strings attached? And if anyone is doing this in med school, how has it been working out?

I think the best way to find a date in med school is to hang out in internet message boards.

hey femdoc...im sure it is very possible...as long as both sides are honest about what they want and stick to that im willing to bet it would be a great relationship...

rod farva, what an amazing name....should have made my name thorn or rabbit...oh well

femdoc said:
How likely is it that med students can just be "smooch buddies" , or even "f@#! buddies" for that matter, and just that, strictly platonic, no strings attached? And if anyone is doing this in med school, how has it been working out?

It sounds like you are a very promiscuous type of chick. Exactly the type I try to avoid. In my experience, "platonic" but physical relationships feel empty, are shallow, and are usually pursued by those who lack self esteem -- or seek others who lack self esteem.

I hope you find a man w/ whom you can use each other's bodies.

freaker said:
This isn't going to score me many points here, but are many guys interested in dating female med students? In other words, would you marry another doctor?

I'm looking for a housewife down the road, to be honest. Not a trophy wife, but a woman who will enjoy the opportunity to stay at home to be with our kids.

I'd have serious reservations dating a career woman. I guess medicine is better than law (I just dropped out of law school) in that female doctors are able to work part-time and have time to be with the kids.

With that said, the ideal combination would be to have a wife who would split the part-time hours with you. I'd work part-time and have a wife who worked part-time if we could pull that gig.

Yeah man, that's what I'm aimin' at.
(The both part time thing.)
ER's good that way, I hear.

freaker said:
This isn't going to score me many points here, but are many guys interested in dating female med students? In other words, would you marry another doctor?

I'm looking for a housewife down the road, to be honest. Not a trophy wife, but a woman who will enjoy the opportunity to stay at home to be with our kids.

I'd have serious reservations dating a career woman. I guess medicine is better than law (I just dropped out of law school) in that female doctors are able to work part-time and have time to be with the kids.

With that said, the ideal combination would be to have a wife who would split the part-time hours with you. I'd work part-time and have a wife who worked part-time if we could pull that gig.

This probably won't score points for me either, but why can't you work part-time and take care of the kids at some point? ;)

HAHA Suckers! I'm taking a year off before I start the 4 years of being busy all the time. I deferred and get to roam the earth for a year and just be single. Gotta have my fun before the ball starts rolling on medical school.

Looking over this thread makes me wonder how hard it actually is to find someone in med school. I tend to think that if you did ok finding people in undergrad, then you should be fine in medskool. I guess I'll have a year to wonder.

Good luck to all you guys having trouble finding folks.

Rod Farva said:
I think the best way to find a date in med school is to hang out in internet message boards.

:laugh: hilarious!

Well if your classmates don't pan out, there's still the nursing school, PA school, undergrads, people from the area who are working...etc etc.... it's not necessary to date classmates and I wouldn't "go looking" there.

Members don't see this ad :)
How about a XXY karyotype?

Reactions: 1 user
I hadn't had trouble dating girls until i started med school last fall....

Honestly dude, it's not worth it. STUDY for STEP 1, it's the most important thing you can do. Women will always be there, but your future may or may not be there depending how you do on that test. The worse mistake you will ever make in life is letting the potential of females dictate your life decisions. Never let a girl influence your actions (unless she is already your wife) or you will get burned. With that said, here's my take on dating in med school:

Peak level free time and hence time to play the field is def M1. It goes down hill M2 and is non existent pretty much M3 and into the beginning of M4. There is about a 6-8 month window M4 where you have ample time.

Bumble/Tinder: hit or miss. The good looking women get right swiped by EVERYONE. I live in a large city (with tons of single women) and even then it is mostly the average and below average women who are actively using the app to find a date. Most of the hot sorority girls who are 8+ just use this app for validation (or seldom try to match with a guy who looks like he is taking pictures for a GQ shoot). So while this may seem like the easy way out, it remains a difficult option unless you are insanely good looking, have puppy pics, and tall. Or if you have average to low standards.

Bars/Clubs: Also seems like the go to option for most guys. You have at most one night per week when you "think" you can go out and pick up women and then recuperate to finish the weekend strong with studying. Especially when you just start your clerkship or module. Again, it's difficult. From my experience, women don't go to bars to necessarily hook up with anyone. Notice that the extremely good looking girls are either in groups of extremely good looking girls or with some dude already. It's rare and I have done it, but it takes work and very strong wing men to pick up women at popular bars. Remember these girls are just out to have fun and gain attention, they could care less that you will be a plastic surgeon some day. They just want to get hit on by the hottest guy in the bar. Conversation doesn't go a long way when the music is extremely loud, so again appearance (just like on apps) is all that matters. Most dudes in med school are average at best, so again you're likely screwed.

Med school class: the hotties are always scooped up in undergrad by either a) some frat dude who seemed cool back in the day b) business guys with rich parents who already make 6 figures c) some dude at the right place at the right time back in college. People aren't single at the age of 25+ without some reason (like myself, I have no self esteem due to being average height and have a sub-average Step 1 score coupled with the PTSD or an average MCAT score). The rest of the people are nice friends but again there is a reason they are still single.

Social events: your best chance again is M1. Particularly M1/M2 summer. Join intramural sports, take cooking classes, yoga classes, march for women's rights, etc. where there are hoards of women. You actually have free time and can talk to women about mutual interests. Day game goes a LOT further than game at a bar or club. In my experience this is your best chance to actually get to know the girl and get something out of it.

Friends of friends work too. However, unless you go to med school in the same city as your undergrad or have a lot friends move to the area...not going to work. Girls in med school are not the best at sharing their friends....let's just put it that way.

When all else fails, flirt with the nurses.

AGAIN, FOCUS ON STEP 1 and DON'T EVER MAKE ANY DECISIONS IN LIFE THAT REVOLVE AROUND A FEMALE. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER LET A FEMALE DRIVE YOUR DECISION MAKING, IT WILL NEVER END WELL.

Reactions: 7 users
Honestly dude, it's not worth it. STUDY for STEP 1, it's the most important thing you can do. Women will always be there, but your future may or may not be there depending how you do on that test. The worse mistake you will ever make in life is letting the potential of females dictate your life decisions. Never let a girl influence your actions (unless she is already your wife) or you will get burned. With that said, here's my take on dating in med school:

Peak level free time and hence time to play the field is def M1. It goes down hill M2 and is non existent pretty much M3 and into the beginning of M4. There is about a 6-8 month window M4 where you have ample time.

Bumble/Tinder: hit or miss. The good looking women get right swiped by EVERYONE. I live in a large city (with tons of single women) and even then it is mostly the average and below average women who are actively using the app to find a date. Most of the hot sorority girls who are 8+ just use this app for validation (or seldom try to match with a guy who looks like he is taking pictures for a GQ shoot). So while this may seem like the easy way out, it remains a difficult option unless you are insanely good looking, have puppy pics, and tall. Or if you have average to low standards.

Bars/Clubs: Also seems like the go to option for most guys. You have at most one night per week when you "think" you can go out and pick up women and then recuperate to finish the weekend strong with studying. Especially when you just start your clerkship or module. Again, it's difficult. From my experience, women don't go to bars to necessarily hook up with anyone. Notice that the extremely good looking girls are either in groups of extremely good looking girls or with some dude already. It's rare and I have done it, but it takes work and very strong wing men to pick up women at popular bars. Remember these girls are just out to have fun and gain attention, they could care less that you will be a plastic surgeon some day. They just want to get hit on by the hottest guy in the bar. Conversation doesn't go a long way when the music is extremely loud, so again appearance (just like on apps) is all that matters. Most dudes in med school are average at best, so again you're likely screwed.

Med school class: the hotties are always scooped up in undergrad by either a) some frat dude who seemed cool back in the day b) business guys with rich parents who already make 6 figures c) some dude at the right place at the right time back in college. People aren't single at the age of 25+ without some reason (like myself, I have no self esteem due to being average height and have a sub-average Step 1 score coupled with the PTSD or an average MCAT score). The rest of the people are nice friends but again there is a reason they are still single.

Social events: your best chance again is M1. Particularly M1/M2 summer. Join intramural sports, take cooking classes, yoga classes, march for women's rights, etc. where there are hoards of women. You actually have free time and can talk to women about mutual interests. Day game goes a LOT further than game at a bar or club. In my experience this is your best chance to actually get to know the girl and get something out of it.

Friends of friends work too. However, unless you go to med school in the same city as your undergrad or have a lot friends move to the area...not going to work. Girls in med school are not the best at sharing their friends....let's just put it that way.

AGAIN, FOCUS ON STEP 1 and DON'T EVER MAKE ANY DECISIONS IN LIFE THAT REVOLVE AROUND A FEMALE. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER LET A FEMALE DRIVE YOUR DECISION MAKING, IT WILL NEVER END WELL.
Great insight on the females
IMG_3554.GIF

Reactions: 1 users

I live for your posts

Reactions: 2 users

I actually have done the intramural sports, cooking and yoga classes to pick up chicks. Never thought of going to a womans march for 'em. That's some serious dedication. I need one of those pink p*ssy hats and I'm good to go.

Meh I dated someone in my class. twas nice. but i'm def open to someone who fits me a little better

This is a very relevant topic that I took for granted when picking a med school. My school is located in a very urban area where you need to go outside it to meet anyone. I have been super frustrated trying to find girls to date outside dating apps and the nurses at the hospital. I will definitely keep this in consideration when picking residency locations.

Written like a true beta male. I think your biggest barrier is yourself man. Change your mentality, because it's likely a self fulfilling prophecy that's holding you back

Agree on the step 1 thing though. Girls should be an afterthought right now.

1zl6ir5.gif