Finding a job after residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rx25295

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
(please don't move to "job market" forum, I don't think current residents are looking there and this is geared towards them!)

I think this forum is lacking in any meaningful discussion from people looking for jobs after residency - whether it's after PGY1 or PGY2. For me, I felt like applying for residency became so familiar that when my job search looked completely different, it totally threw me off. I also didn't feel like I had a great resource to ask questions from for job searching.

I certainly don't claim to be an expert in this, but I thought it would be helpful to create a thread for others to share their experiences and any advice they may have. Or maybe just to show what the job search looks like for others, and what the "norm" is (if it exists?)

Completing PGY1 or PGY2? PGY2
Specialty (if applicable): oncology
Primary means of job search? PPS at midyear, ACCP and PPAG job boards, indeed
When did you apply for jobs? Late December (primarily influenced by PPS)
How many places did you apply? Two, but I only heard back from one :laugh:
When did you interview? January
When did you receive an offer? January

PPS was the most helpful thing for me, and I truly didn't expect it to be. Jobs would let me know point blank if they were willing to wait for someone to complete residency, which I appreciated. the biggest thing I struggled with is knowing when to apply for jobs, and questioning applying to places I wasn't exceptionally excited about vs waiting to take the gamble of more jobs being posted. I hear there tends to be a second wave of job postings as budgets are reviewed in the spring and plans for more FTEs are created, but I don't know that that's terribly predictable.

What about others?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
(please don't move to "job market" forum, I don't think current residents are looking there and this is geared towards them!)

I think this forum is lacking in any meaningful discussion from people looking for jobs after residency - whether it's after PGY1 or PGY2. For me, I felt like applying for residency became so familiar that when my job search looked completely different, it totally threw me off. I also didn't feel like I had a great resource to ask questions from for job searching.

I certainly don't claim to be an expert in this, but I thought it would be helpful to create a thread for others to share their experiences and any advice they may have. Or maybe just to show what the job search looks like for others, and what the "norm" is (if it exists?)

Completing PGY1 or PGY2? PGY2
Specialty (if applicable): oncology
Primary means of job search? PPS at midyear, ACCP and PPAG job boards, indeed
When did you apply for jobs? Late December (primarily influenced by PPS)
How many places did you apply? Two, but I only heard back from one :laugh:
When did you interview? January
When did you receive an offer? January

PPS was the most helpful thing for me, and I truly didn't expect it to be. Jobs would let me know point blank if they were willing to wait for someone to complete residency, which I appreciated. the biggest thing I struggled with is knowing when to apply for jobs, and questioning applying to places I wasn't exceptionally excited about vs waiting to take the gamble of more jobs being posted. I hear there tends to be a second wave of job postings as budgets are reviewed in the spring and plans for more FTEs are created, but I don't know that that's terribly predictable.

What about others?
What I think is typical is for residents (particularly PGY-1) to start applying for jobs in March-April. But honestly in the last few years I feel like the trend has been for residents to apply for jobs earlier and earlier, such that people are applying for jobs in December/January now. Now, that isn’t necessarily a problem, but I do notice more and more residents (and fellows) leaving their programs early/not finishing their programs because they landed a job and don’t want to ride out the uncertainty of not knowing if there will be a job available for them at the end of residency in June/July when everyone else is looking. Is this going to be the new status quo?

What I think is typical is for residents (particularly PGY-1) to start applying for jobs in March-April. But honestly in the last few years I feel like the trend has been for residents to apply for jobs earlier and earlier, such that people are applying for jobs in December/January now. Now, that isn’t necessarily a problem, but I do notice more and more residents (and fellows) leaving their programs early/not finishing their programs because they landed a job and don’t want to ride out the uncertainty of not knowing if there will be a job available for them at the end of residency in June/July when everyone else is looking. Is this going to be the new status quo?

Oh gosh, I would sincerely hope that that doesn't become a new trend. I don't know what kind of job would accept someone on the contingency that they quit their residency, I would think any clinical position would strongly encourage finishing out the year!

Oh gosh, I would sincerely hope that that doesn't become a new trend. I don't know what kind of job would accept someone on the contingency that they quit their residency, I would think any clinical position would strongly encourage finishing out the year!
I don’t think that contingency of quitting is coming from the institution so much as it is a personal decision that the resident has to make for himself/herself. From a business standpoint, when you’re hiring for a vacant position you usually want to hire as soon as possible, so holding a position open for months to wait for someone to finish residency just doesn’t happen very often. You’d either have to be an in-house resident or someone that they would die for/are desperate to have for this kind of situation to work in your favor.