Finding a job in endocrinology difficult?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dakgalbi2020

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in becoming an endocrinologist but I have a family member who is a physician that always tries to dissuade me and says that I should be going into a more competitive field so that I am guaranteed of having job security. Their argument is that they essentially claim that NPs are taking over primary care and other fields such as endo and that places would rather hire a NP who can be paid less to do the work. They think this is especially the case in rural areas. To any practicing endocrinologists or other physicians working in primary care or if you know any individuals working in these careers would you agree that this is happening? Do you think it would be difficult for me to find a job as an endocrinologist in the next 7 years?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm interested in becoming an endocrinologist but I have a family member who is a physician that always tries to dissuade me and says that I should be going into a more competitive field so that I am guaranteed of having job security. Their argument is that they essentially claim that NPs are taking over primary care and other fields such as endo and that places would rather hire a NP who can be paid less to do the work. They think this is especially the case in rural areas. To any practicing endocrinologists or other physicians working in primary care or if you know any individuals working in these careers would you agree that this is happening? Do you think it would be difficult for me to find a job as an endocrinologist in the next 7 years?

Uh...no...
The demand for endos is big...mostly because there are not that many of us.
Not sure what kind of physician your family friend is, but it’s the more competitive specialties that are seeing mid level encroachment ( there are some in endo but let’s face it , endo is a head scratcher for most doctors ... other than diabetes and maybe thyroid, hard for mid levels to manage complex endo pts) .
The thing is endo is really non procedural so we don’t make a lot...Avg probably in the low 200s, even less In academia...can you make a lot? Sure, but then you are seeing a big volume of pts to do so.

The people who go into endo go into it because they like the topic and the specialty...go into it if you like it...it’s not a money maker, but you will make a decent living.

Reactions: 1 user
Hah.

I get five emails a day about demand for endocrinology jobs. I recently had to change jobs myself - and practically overnight got 3 interviews in my local area, had a job within a couple weeks. During that time, I posted on a Facebook group full of Endocrinologists, and had colleagues from all over the country tell me how they're hiring - I kept a running list and I think 20 states were covered within a couple days.

I don't know a single Endocrinologist who had any trouble finding work, though if you're significantly geographically limited, you may end up needing to accept a job that doesn't pay what you want or have the lifestyle you like.

Sure, there's people hiring NPs - but plenty of groups are hiring endocrine physicians, and demand way outpaces supply. Almost all my peers locally are booked out 3-4 months - and I will be soon enough.

Reactions: 1 user