• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Finding a job in endocrinology difficult?

Dakgalbi2020

2+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2016
  1. Medical Student
I'm interested in becoming an endocrinologist but I have a family member who is a physician that always tries to dissuade me and says that I should be going into a more competitive field so that I am guaranteed of having job security. Their argument is that they essentially claim that NPs are taking over primary care and other fields such as endo and that places would rather hire a NP who can be paid less to do the work. They think this is especially the case in rural areas. To any practicing endocrinologists or other physicians working in primary care or if you know any individuals working in these careers would you agree that this is happening? Do you think it would be difficult for me to find a job as an endocrinologist in the next 7 years?

rokshana

15+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2004
  1. Attending Physician
I'm interested in becoming an endocrinologist but I have a family member who is a physician that always tries to dissuade me and says that I should be going into a more competitive field so that I am guaranteed of having job security. Their argument is that they essentially claim that NPs are taking over primary care and other fields such as endo and that places would rather hire a NP who can be paid less to do the work. They think this is especially the case in rural areas. To any practicing endocrinologists or other physicians working in primary care or if you know any individuals working in these careers would you agree that this is happening? Do you think it would be difficult for me to find a job as an endocrinologist in the next 7 years?

Uh...no...
The demand for endos is big...mostly because there are not that many of us.
Not sure what kind of physician your family friend is, but it’s the more competitive specialties that are seeing mid level encroachment ( there are some in endo but let’s face it , endo is a head scratcher for most doctors ... other than diabetes and maybe thyroid, hard for mid levels to manage complex endo pts) .
The thing is endo is really non procedural so we don’t make a lot...Avg probably in the low 200s, even less In academia...can you make a lot? Sure, but then you are seeing a big volume of pts to do so.

The people who go into endo go into it because they like the topic and the specialty...go into it if you like it...it’s not a money maker, but you will make a decent living.

Reactions: 1 user

Raryn

Infernal Internist / Enigmatic Endocrinologist
10+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2008
  1. Attending Physician
Hah.

I get five emails a day about demand for endocrinology jobs. I recently had to change jobs myself - and practically overnight got 3 interviews in my local area, had a job within a couple weeks. During that time, I posted on a Facebook group full of Endocrinologists, and had colleagues from all over the country tell me how they're hiring - I kept a running list and I think 20 states were covered within a couple days.

I don't know a single Endocrinologist who had any trouble finding work, though if you're significantly geographically limited, you may end up needing to accept a job that doesn't pay what you want or have the lifestyle you like.

Sure, there's people hiring NPs - but plenty of groups are hiring endocrine physicians, and demand way outpaces supply. Almost all my peers locally are booked out 3-4 months - and I will be soon enough.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.