Finding a research job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hsandovaljr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question about finding a research position. Is it possible to find a research position related to medicine even if Im not a science major? Don't most positions require you to at least major in something related to that position or have background knowledge? Would appreciate any insight. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Of course you can. However, having two semesters of intro bio DOES help a lot. The majority of stuff I have learned in my lab (urology) I wouldn't have learned through any of my science major classes.

Majoring in the relevant field is a big advantage though. When I was interviewing candidates for my lab's technician positions, some kind of biology background, whether premed or a bio-related major, was necessary.

For volunteer positions more flexibility was accorded.

Members don't see this ad :)
Majoring in the relevant field is a big advantage though. When I was interviewing candidates for my lab's technician positions, some kind of biology background, whether premed or a bio-related major, was necessary.

For volunteer positions more flexibility was accorded.

What did you look for when interviewing students that weren't science majors?

If they looked up what we did and asked any good questions. Nothing esoteric or whatever, just if they seemed interested.