Finding an RA position in the UK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SosoLovesChi

Reaction score
My search for professors who share my research interest continues to lead me to universities outside of the US and I decided that I like the idea how working as a research assistant in the UK for 1 or 2 years and then returning to the states to apply for a PHD. My problem is that I can't find many online resources about how people go about applying for these sorts of positions as international students. Shall I do as I would here and send a polite email to professors asking if they are or know of someone who is in need of an assistant while providing my cv? Do universities in the UK have postbacc programs like we often have here? Any sort of advice or insight into how getting research experience in the UK might work would be truly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

. It's very possible to work as a research assistant in the UK for a year or so and an amazing life, career, and educational experience. I did it awhile back; hopefully, I can give you some ideas on how to approach it, but I'm not an expert on all things British....

When I was in my junior year of college, I decided to study abroad in England and before I headed across the pond, I wrote to a faculty member at the same University, expressing my interest in his research and inquired about the possibility of some sort of internship within his group. It took a couple months before I heard back, but they invited me in for an interview. I'd worked as an RA previously which helped. It turned out to be a wonderful opportunity and another faculty member mentored and taught me about the specific field. I loved England so much that I went back to grad school there and did my master's- it wasn't in the same department that I interned with but I stayed in touch with them. Towards the end of my degree, I dug up some details on how to get a work visa in the UK and asked them if they had any positions open in their research team. They had an opening and offered me the job once I shared the work visa info with them. Of course, it was kind of a hassle for the department to sponsor my work permit- lots of paperwork, and they had to say that nobody in the entire EU could do the job so they required an international candidate, some silly American like me :) I had a special type of visa that enabled me to stay a year ( non renewable) gaining work experience. My visa almost fell through, but they pulled it off somehow. And I got to stay another year and work in my specific research interest.

As I mentioned this was years ago (10+) but you still have to jump through the same basic hoops- figure out how to get a visa and convince the department to hire you. A lot of the university departments advertise job openings on their websites. I'd cruise through those and try writing to specific faculty. There are lots of international students in the UK pursuing graduate courses as well as all the brits aiming to get experience for ph.d's, so there is lots of competition for the spots. I simply lucked out.

Here's a link to UK's work visa info- it might be a good place to start so you can get idea if you need a work visa and which specific one is the best option. I'd definitely look into that before you approach the department.
Work in the UK - GOV.UK

And the UK offers loads of postgraduate programs, some are taught courses and some are degrees earned by research. I'm often tempted to go back there for a doctorate and am happy to answer any questions about studying over there, specific schools, life in England etc. Good luck!!!!

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
I'm not sure how much help I can be - but I was a Researcher in the UK for about 6/7 years. At the end of my Undergraduate degree I started sending out letters of interest to various universities offering my services voluntarily. I managed to get a position as a Research Assistant at KCL, which after a month or two turned into a fully paid Research Worker position! I continued as a researcher there for a few years until the funding of the study came to a close. I then went on to apply to other Researcher positions - working at another university as a paid researcher for 2.5 years. Most research positions are advertised on the Universities job pages, and will give you the salary and experience /qualifications required.

You could try and find yourself a certificate course, giving you access to a Tier 4 Student Visa - this would enable you to work as a Researcher. As far as I'm aware, the UK is bringing back a work-extension to the Student Visa which would give you an additional 2 years to stay in the UK and work.