This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

billy_ruben

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a MS3 so thinking way ahead, but anyways... My girlfriend and I plan on couples matching. I am probably going to match into IM, her into peds. Neither of us would be interested in general practice, and would want to do fellowships following residency.

My question is - what does the process look like for couples doing 2 different matches in different specialties? For example, if we both were applying into competitive fellowships but were unwilling to live in a different city for fellowship. I am sure that a lot of people do something similar, but I can't find any good explanation. IE would you pick a single metropolitan area and only apply to programs there? Or have the first one match and then have the second person limit their rank list to only programs in the same area?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a MS3 so thinking way ahead, but anyways... My girlfriend and I plan on couples matching. I am probably going to match into IM, her into peds. Neither of us would be interested in general practice, and would want to do fellowships following residency.

My question is - what does the process look like for couples doing 2 different matches in different specialties? For example, if we both were applying into competitive fellowships but were unwilling to live in a different city for fellowship. I am sure that a lot of people do something similar, but I can't find any good explanation. IE would you pick a single metropolitan area and only apply to programs there? Or have the first one match and then have the second person limit their rank list to only programs in the same area?

Thanks!
IM and Peds fellowships Matches are ~ 1 week apart...sometimes peds is first, other times IM is first.

overall, peds fellowships are not that competitive (maybe peds EM and NICU) mostly because they are all 3 year fellowships and don't necessarily increase your pay...so its more of an issues of getting a particular fellowship but not an issue not matching.

probably the best way would be to look at cities that have multiple fellowships to give the best chance to live in the same town.

You can couple's match I think.

IM and Peds fellowships Matches are ~ 1 week apart...sometimes peds is first, other times IM is first.

overall, peds fellowships are not that competitive (maybe peds EM and NICU) mostly because they are all 3 year fellowships and don't necessarily increase your pay..

PICU, NIcU, Cards, and EM are the competitive Peds fellowships. Sometimes Heme-Onc is lumped in there, and right now, they are a completely separate match (Spring, not Fall), though I suspect that will change within the next couple years given that they are the only specialty still in that match.

Most people I know in this situation either have someone sit out a year, or apply to one large geographical area.

PICU, NIcU, Cards, and EM are the competitive Peds fellowships. Sometimes Heme-Onc is lumped in there, and right now, they are a completely separate match (Spring, not Fall), though I suspect that will change within the next couple years given that they are the only specialty still in that match.

Most people I know in this situation either have someone sit out a year, or apply to one large geographical area.
PICU is Fall match.