Finding jobs and making it through vet school while married.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeonMountaineer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've read plenty of posts about students getting into vet school after they were married, and making it through with jobs at vet clinics and hospitals during the summers, and sometimes during the semester. All this advice is nice, but most of these posts were written by girls married to guys who also have jobs and aren't in school. As a guy, who might end up married to a girl who doesn't have a job, I'm wondering about the best way to make it through 4 years of vet school. Does anyone have any related experience? As a Business Information Technology major, I could probably get a summer job that pays well, and is not even related to veterinary medicine, but I'm not so sure it would be the best idea.

Members don't see this ad.

Most of the married I guys I know in vet school, their wives have jobs. Or they survive off money through loans and working over the summer. Can your girlfriend/fiancee/wife not work?

I've read plenty of posts about students getting into vet school after they were married, and making it through with jobs at vet clinics and hospitals during the summers, and sometimes during the semester. All this advice is nice, but most of these posts were written by girls married to guys who also have jobs and aren't in school. As a guy, who might end up married to a girl who doesn't have a job, I'm wondering about the best way to make it through 4 years of vet school. Does anyone have any related experience? As a Business Information Technology major, I could probably get a summer job that pays well, and is not even related to veterinary medicine, but I'm not so sure it would be the best idea.
my husband didn't have a job for a year while I was in vet school. We just took out more in loans that year and I worked when able.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most of the married I guys I know in vet school, their wives have jobs. Or they survive off money through loans and working over the summer. Can your girlfriend/fiancee/wife not work?
She would be finishing college, for the first 2 years at least.

my husband didn't have a job for a year while I was in vet school. We just took out more in loans that year and I worked when able.
Did that add a significant amount of pressure to what you were already under with vet school debt?

Make her get a job and support you. That's my advice. My wife didn't work while I was in vet school. Lazy woman. She tries to pretend she was all busy taking care of the three kids and the house, but I know her secret. She probably sat around in her pajamas all day reading a book and drinking wine while I was at school.

Reactions: 2 users
Make her get a job and support you. That's my advice. My wife didn't work while I was in vet school. Lazy woman. She tries to pretend she was all busy taking care of the three kids and the house, but I know her secret. She probably sat around in her pajamas all day reading a book and drinking wine while I was at school.

She trained you well... sending you off to do all the work while she gets to enjoy all the benefits. ;)

Lol, as long as you weren't that dude who kept getting off of his share of clinic duties because of "childcare" but used school as an excuse not to do any part of said childcare

Lol, as long as you weren't that dude who kept getting off of his share of clinic duties because of "childcare" but used school as an excuse not to do any part of said childcare

Crap. My secret is out. You saw me at the bar drinking alone, didn't you?

P.S. Clinical duties are WAY easier than taking care of the kids. I'm reminded of that every time I take care of the kids.

Reactions: 2 users
Crap. My secret is out. You saw me at the bar drinking alone, didn't you?

P.S. Clinical duties are WAY easier than taking care of the kids. I'm reminded of that every time I take care of the kids.

My SO and I have decided that he will be the stay at home dad for this reason.

Reactions: 1 user