Finding jobs with no prior work exp.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dudecoolname

words under my username
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So during the winter break I plan to try and get a job in a pharmacy. The only problem is that I have no real work experience....

Except..I have been working for my dads small business for the past 5 years. I know it looks good to have a resume but I don't have much to write about...lol

What do you guys think?

I'm thinking ill just show up to a bunch of placed without a resume...bad idea?

Thanks as always

Members don't see this ad.

So during the winter break I plan to try and get a job in a pharmacy. The only problem is that I have no real work experience....

Except..I have been working for my dads small business for the past 5 years. I know it looks good to have a resume but I don't have much to write about...lol

What do you guys think?

I'm thinking ill just show up to a bunch of placed without a resume...bad idea?

Thanks as always

Retail? Just fill out the online applications. If they don't call after maybe two weeks, call them up. In my area all the major chains have intern coordinator, so if you can get their information that could help. The coordinators hire for the whole distract, so they are aware of the needs of the entire distract, not just your local store.

Hospital? I suppose you could do the same, but I did cold calls up front and then applied if they wanted me to. Most of the DOP's I spoke with were very upfront with me about my employment chances (i.e., no openings).

Good Luck!

^So basically just apply online and/or call them? I always thought it was better to go to the store in person and ask if they had any positions available....No? Anyways, considering there are 20+ pharmacies in my area I guess I could try out a variety of methods lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
^So basically just apply online and/or call them? I always thought it was better to go to the store in person and ask if they had any positions available....No? Anyways, considering there are 20+ pharmacies in my area I guess I could try out a variety of methods lol.

Fill out the online app first. Then you can choose to call or walk into the store. I personally found walking into stores more successful. When I was hired at CVS, the pharm manager ended up telling me that she didn't really NEED someone but wanted to give me a chance 'cause I smiled a lot and she figured I'd be good with customers :rolleyes:

But yeah, fill out the app online first 'cause sometimes they'll just tell you straight out to go do that instead and it wastes less time if you already have.

In person (instead of phone) is great, but the application comes first.