Finding Motivation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freshbeatschris

New Phuture
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
All right my fellow Pharm students, I need to lean on you. I know that life and pharmacy school is like a roller coaster. We have our peaks when we are on top of the world and we have a troughs when we barely have enough energy to get out of bed. I need some gentle prodding to get my motivation back before I bury my grades. What do you guys do when you are bottoming out and need a little pick me up? How do you get back the energy to keep hitting these subjects day after day? I'm tired.:sleep:

Thanks in advance for your help and letting me lean on y'all.

Chris

Members don't see this ad.

I think the hardest thing for me is letting myself lean on other people, so you've taken a good first step here. I am often reluctant to discuss my problems with other people but when I do it, I often find it helpful.

As far as motivation, I'm still somewhat searching for mine. I got some grades back today, and I'm not doing as poorly as I thought in certain classes, so that is uplifting. I have the summer job that I'm looking forward to, so that helps. And I do recognize that I have been given a great opportunity, and one that other people would really like to have. That motivates me somewhat not to waste it.

I wish I could offer some more concrete suggestions. Perhaps someone else will weigh in with something that could help us both?
:idea:

Always look forward to something. In my case this was finals week so I'm finally through with Microbio and Molecular bio. Should have A/B in Micro. Molecular not so good. I here she surpises with a modest curve. I sure hope so, otherwise I'm sure to get like a low C at best. Other than that, hopefully you've got time and some spare change to go somewhere over spring break or summer if necessary to just chill and defrag the brain. I guess what I'm saying is find your happy place.:laugh: Maybe you can dream of being like Zpak (do I hear hurling in the background:barf: ) with his pill pusher cruising up the Oregon coast and playing golf. Not too long and hopefully you'll be doing something similar.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was okay for the first two years, but year three took it's toll. I truly hated school at that point. Looking forward seemed to help. I could say, "only x number of days until rotations". Coming back to class after rotations was tough. I hate having to watch lectures again, but I'm just counting the days now.

School gets more interesting as you go on...I see you go to MWU. You are just now starting to get in to therapeutics...finally some drug knowledge! I didn't like 1st year. Second yr there is a lot more work, but by far better than 1st. And then you become a PS3...which pretty much rules because you don't have a lot of required courses left and you also get to start rotations! (Trust me, rotations are way better!)

For us, they just put up the results of the P-3 rotation lottery, and it suddenly hits you, next year, I'll be on that list.
You have to make your own motivation. You have to make a goal and try and reach it. Every person does it a bit differently.

All right my fellow Pharm students, I need to lean on you. I know that life and pharmacy school is like a roller coaster. We have our peaks when we are on top of the world and we have a troughs when we barely have enough energy to get out of bed. I need some gentle prodding to get my motivation back before I bury my grades. What do you guys do when you are bottoming out and need a little pick me up? How do you get back the energy to keep hitting these subjects day after day? I'm tired.:sleep:

Thanks in advance for your help and letting me lean on y'all.

Chris

Chris -I think we are all getting to the point in the semester when we are starting to burn out - and it doesn't help that the weather has suddenly gotten really wonderful here in Georgia!

Whenever I get tired of the whole studying thing, I try very hard to remind myself that pharmacy school is something I REALLY wanted to do. I try to take myself back to the day I pulled the letter out of the mailbox and found out that I had been accepted and my dream was starting to come true. And, I try to live by the advice of one of my best friends at school, which is that we only need to worry about one day at a time. If I start to dwell on all the things that I have to do in the next month or even in the next week, it becomes overwhelming. If I focus only on what needs to be done for next Monday (today's Friday), then suddenly it doesn't seem quite so bad.

Also, I don't know what your summer plans are, but I find it good to think that in only x number of weeks, summer will be here and I can concentrate on something besides school for awhile.

Always look forward to something. In my case this was finals week so I'm finally through with Microbio and Molecular bio. Should have A/B in Micro. Molecular not so good. I here she surpises with a modest curve. I sure hope so, otherwise I'm sure to get like a low C at best. Other than that, hopefully you've got time and some spare change to go somewhere over spring break or summer if necessary to just chill and defrag the brain. I guess what I'm saying is find your happy place.:laugh: Maybe you can dream of being like Zpak (do I hear hurling in the background:barf: ) with his pill pusher cruising up the Oregon coast and playing golf. Not too long and hopefully you'll be doing something similar.

you need some zofran? I hear it went generic..

When I can afford to, I try to steal a chance to take a real break from school, clear my head, and come back refreshed. Sometimes a break can be small, like a 30 minute trip to the gym. I'd like to hear what works for other people though, so I can try different ways as well.

When I lose my motivation, I take a break from studying and vege out on my bed watching DVDs. Or I clean the house a bit. This takes me out of my funk for some reason. Also, I may increase my caffeine intake to give me more energy, but I'm trying not to do this anymore.