1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Finding Motivation

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by freshbeatschris, Mar 22, 2007.

1. freshbeatschris

freshbeatschris New Phuture
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    All right my fellow Pharm students, I need to lean on you. I know that life and pharmacy school is like a roller coaster. We have our peaks when we are on top of the world and we have a troughs when we barely have enough energy to get out of bed. I need some gentle prodding to get my motivation back before I bury my grades. What do you guys do when you are bottoming out and need a little pick me up? How do you get back the energy to keep hitting these subjects day after day? I'm tired.:sleep:

Thanks in advance for your help and letting me lean on y'all.

Chris

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. All4MyDaughter

All4MyDaughter SDN Mommystrator
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I think the hardest thing for me is letting myself lean on other people, so you've taken a good first step here. I am often reluctant to discuss my problems with other people but when I do it, I often find it helpful.

As far as motivation, I'm still somewhat searching for mine. I got some grades back today, and I'm not doing as poorly as I thought in certain classes, so that is uplifting. I have the summer job that I'm looking forward to, so that helps. And I do recognize that I have been given a great opportunity, and one that other people would really like to have. That motivates me somewhat not to waste it.

I wish I could offer some more concrete suggestions. Perhaps someone else will weigh in with something that could help us both?
    :idea:

4. Farmercyst

Farmercyst From the shadows
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Always look forward to something. In my case this was finals week so I'm finally through with Microbio and Molecular bio. Should have A/B in Micro. Molecular not so good. I here she surpises with a modest curve. I sure hope so, otherwise I'm sure to get like a low C at best. Other than that, hopefully you've got time and some spare change to go somewhere over spring break or summer if necessary to just chill and defrag the brain. I guess what I'm saying is find your happy place.:laugh: Maybe you can dream of being like Zpak (do I hear hurling in the background:barf: ) with his pill pusher cruising up the Oregon coast and playing golf. Not too long and hopefully you'll be doing something similar.

5. dgroulx

dgroulx Night Pharmacist
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I was okay for the first two years, but year three took it's toll. I truly hated school at that point. Looking forward seemed to help. I could say, "only x number of days until rotations". Coming back to class after rotations was tough. I hate having to watch lectures again, but I'm just counting the days now.

6. KARM12

KARM12 Super Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    School gets more interesting as you go on...I see you go to MWU. You are just now starting to get in to therapeutics...finally some drug knowledge! I didn't like 1st year. Second yr there is a lot more work, but by far better than 1st. And then you become a PS3...which pretty much rules because you don't have a lot of required courses left and you also get to start rotations! (Trust me, rotations are way better!)

7. genesis09

genesis09 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    For us, they just put up the results of the P-3 rotation lottery, and it suddenly hits you, next year, I'll be on that list.
    You have to make your own motivation. You have to make a goal and try and reach it. Every person does it a bit differently.

8. rxlynn

rxlynn Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Chris -I think we are all getting to the point in the semester when we are starting to burn out - and it doesn't help that the weather has suddenly gotten really wonderful here in Georgia!

Whenever I get tired of the whole studying thing, I try very hard to remind myself that pharmacy school is something I REALLY wanted to do. I try to take myself back to the day I pulled the letter out of the mailbox and found out that I had been accepted and my dream was starting to come true. And, I try to live by the advice of one of my best friends at school, which is that we only need to worry about one day at a time. If I start to dwell on all the things that I have to do in the next month or even in the next week, it becomes overwhelming. If I focus only on what needs to be done for next Monday (today's Friday), then suddenly it doesn't seem quite so bad.

Also, I don't know what your summer plans are, but I find it good to think that in only x number of weeks, summer will be here and I can concentrate on something besides school for awhile.

9. Julianne

Julianne War Eagle!!
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Good advice as always, rxlynn! BTW, glad to see you're still alive over there :p

10. ZpackSux

ZpackSux Retired
    Removed

you need some zofran? I hear it went generic..

11. trx

trx
    5+ Year Member

When I can afford to, I try to steal a chance to take a real break from school, clear my head, and come back refreshed. Sometimes a break can be small, like a 30 minute trip to the gym. I'd like to hear what works for other people though, so I can try different ways as well.

12. Gizmo

Gizmo ?
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    When I lose my motivation, I take a break from studying and vege out on my bed watching DVDs. Or I clean the house a bit. This takes me out of my funk for some reason. Also, I may increase my caffeine intake to give me more energy, but I'm trying not to do this anymore.

13. Farmercyst

Farmercyst From the shadows
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    They gave it to my wife once. Forget why exactly. (Meaning what the root cause was, not what it was indicated for.) It does the job.