Finding RA positions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pretzels

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Right now im trying to build up my experience in research for the next round of grad school apps. I'm currently involved in some volunteer research work with my mentor from my undergrad while holding down a full-time retail job, and i'd love if i could make my job also be my experience...

I've heard many times that these paid RA jobs are primarily, if not exclusively offered to people they already know, which comes back to networking, and my network hasn't extended very far yet. I've applied to a few postings for a childrens hospital in my city, doing behavioral research in pediatrics (more on the medical side than the psychology, but good research is good research as my mentor said), and i'm qualified for the positions, but i've heard nothing back for over a month now.

What can i do to improve my situation? Is there really no significant listings of paid RA positions? Indeed and glassdoor have provided me with only few options, and its beginning to sound like these 'offerings' are taken before they hit the web anyway.

Members don't see this ad.

Right now im trying to build up my experience in research for the next round of grad school apps. I'm currently involved in some volunteer research work with my mentor from my undergrad while holding down a full-time retail job, and i'd love if i could make my job also be my experience...

I've heard many times that these paid RA jobs are primarily, if not exclusively offered to people they already know, which comes back to networking, and my network hasn't extended very far yet. I've applied to a few postings for a childrens hospital in my city, doing behavioral research in pediatrics (more on the medical side than the psychology, but good research is good research as my mentor said), and i'm qualified for the positions, but i've heard nothing back for over a month now.

What can i do to improve my situation? Is there really no significant listings of paid RA positions? Indeed and glassdoor have provided me with only few options, and its beginning to sound like these 'offerings' are taken before they hit the web anyway.

unfortunately even knowing somebody is usually not enough. most groups hardly have any spare money going around so they fill the positions using work-study students, or grad students. finding a paid position is going to be very very difficult

What about trying to gain more productivity with your current mentor? In reviewing applications, it will likely look better being in the same lab longer than multiple labs for shorter time periods with not much to show. If you could get a first-author conference presentation, and maybe on a manuscript (any author order), that will go a long way and help you stand out. I am not sure if your mentor already discussed this with you, but if you show the motivation and bring it up with him/her, they will likely be open to it.

Members don't see this ad :)
What about trying to gain more productivity with your current mentor? In reviewing applications, it will likely look better being in the same lab longer than multiple labs for shorter time periods with not much to show. If you could get a first-author conference presentation, and maybe on a manuscript (any author order), that will go a long way and help you stand out. I am not sure if your mentor already discussed this with you, but if you show the motivation and bring it up with him/her, they will likely be open to it.

Part of the reason i was hoping to find a paid position in research was to get rid of the need for my current job, which adds nothing to my application and is only as a means of financial support. Kind of killing two birds with two stones right now.

I've always been really gun-shy about asking my professor about being one of the authors, it seemed arrogant, or selfish, or something in that vein. I don't feel worthy of it. I know that it happens and plenty of students apply having been an author for a pub and i always hoped i would be one too, but it just feels like such an awkward request. How have other people brought this up?

Part of the reason i was hoping to find a paid position in research was to get rid of the need for my current job, which adds nothing to my application and is only as a means of financial support. Kind of killing two birds with two stones right now.

Financial support is good. As low as the salary may be, you will likely be envious of it once you are in grad school:)

I've always been really gun-shy about asking my professor about being one of the authors, it seemed arrogant, or selfish, or something in that vein. I don't feel worthy of it. I know that it happens and plenty of students apply having been an author for a pub and i always hoped i would be one too, but it just feels like such an awkward request. How have other people brought this up?

Those feelings are normal, but no risk, no reward. I would say something like "I am interested in gaining more experiencing in writing and was wondering if there was anything I can get involved in?"

Hi! I am in a similar situation. However, I wanted to mention what I stumbled on as far as paid positions go. One opportunity is to practice in a PP that is decent pay. I would be doing neuropsych assessments (20%), individual therapy (40%), and IOP (40%) under a Phd's license. I also have an opportunity to be an RA2 at a major university doing NIH research with a little clinical and some assessment. It pays less than the PP position.

However, as I learned, RA positions do not want you for a year (at least here). They want you to committ for a minumum of two years. I'm told this is due to the training that is involved and the length of the projects (at minimum 2 yrs, likely 5 or more). Quite a few people have decided to stop and stay at this institution with a Master's as it can be a career path. If you are certified in human subjects research (ACRP etc) then this is an option as well if you like research and find it difficult to get into a doctoral program.

I'm an alternate at one school and unsure if I'll make it in, I'm keeping all options open. I would have to committ to not applying to programs again for at lease 2 yrs. I'm concerned about this. I'll hold a Master's so I can stop with decent pay now. But I have to weigh all the options and my goals. Decisions, decisions! Good luck!

Just some food for thought as you decide what you want to do.

Thats interesting. I never thought about how open i was in my applications to these RA jobs about my desire to apply to grad school. This may have been one of the single greatest hindrances to my chances if they do need more commitment...

Right now it seems most realistic to invest in what i'm already involved in and hopefully push to be second or third author while i hold down this other job. Thanks for the advice, i'm definitely going to look into this now.

Thats interesting. I never thought about how open i was in my applications to these RA jobs about my desire to apply to grad school. This may have been one of the single greatest hindrances to my chances if they do need more commitment...

Right now it seems most realistic to invest in what i'm already involved in and hopefully push to be second or third author while i hold down this other job. Thanks for the advice, i'm definitely going to look into this now.

I'm sure this varies from PI to PI, but for my lab, we value grad-student hopefuls. They generally care more about the research and work harder to get pubs than an RA that is doing it for the money. The latter generally come in, come out, clock their hours, and only do exactly what they're paid for. The first (which you happen to be in that category) generally are much more eager to learn because they have a career they want to build out of the job. However, it is true in my lab that we probably won't pay someone who is going to be around for only a year.

Also, as far as "pushing to be second or third author", it has to be something that you deserve or contributed work on. If all you did for a project was data entry or the minimum amount of work, pushing for pubs will only annoy your mentor. How I approached my PI was that I told them while I appreciate everything I'm learning at the lab, my goal is to go to grad school and for that, publications and posters are what people see. They can't see how much of a hard worker I am on paper if I have nothing to show for it. I also asked them how I can get more involved and if there's any project, I'm willing to do whatever part for it. I didn't just come to them and asked to be a second author simply because "I work here". If your mentor is at least half reasonable, he'll understand your situation. It also took about a year until I got anything following numerous talks and requests regarding pubs. And the 2 pubs that I maybe will have out of my lab was something I worked my butt off for, hours of coding and analyzing data and writing, lit searches, the whole shmoe. One took me 2 weeks straight of 8-hour a day work plus bringing work home and on weekends to get a last author on. So don't expect something right away, and don't expect something without working for it (again, depends on your PI).

I have a wonderful paid RA position currently, and I am the only one in my group of 9 that did not have any connection to the study prior to applying. So, it definitely pays to know people, but I am a testament to the fact that you can literally type "clinical psychology research assistant" into Google, and the end result can be an amazing, fulfilling job that pays more than enough to survive on. For those who might think this sounds sketchy, the study is being conducted by TAMU and UTHSCA through the Department of Defense for the US army, so please put any fears that the jobs you will find won't be legitimate to rest. I found the posting on TAMU's website. I feel like there's a lot of doom and gloom on this board, so I hope my story brings a little bit of positivity. It can happen.

I sent close to 200 resumes around to the NYS Psychiatric Institute at Columbia Univ. before I even heard from ANYONE. I had no connection there, but did have volunteer research experience elsewhere. I would say besides having connections, if you have relevant experience, just systematically send emails, CVs, etc. My tactic was just churn out at least one a day, and it worked :)