Finish an SMP? WCGW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BobbyKoch

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been fortunate to get an acceptance while enrolled in an SMP at a DO school. I still have some other interviews pending. My question is regarding whether I should finish the SMP or not. Obviously I will wait to hear from the remaining interviews and make sure my acceptances are not contingent on finishing the MS, but I'm curious if there are any real benefits to getting the SMP.

It has been a valuable experience (gross anatomy, biochem, physio, histo, mostly OMS1 classes). I've performed fairly well and at the very least I'm confident in my own abilities to survive and even excel in medical school. But I'm not sure if the second semester is worth $30k... especially when I am heading for several multiples of that in total debt.

Some have cautioned me that it could raise flags when applying for residencies or fellowships, ie why do you have these graduate grades but no degree? Others have mentioned that the program I'm in is one of few to offer an MS in 10 months and that the degree could be valuable for teaching as a DO. All of these cautions have come from administration who have an interest in keeping the numbers up in the program.

So my questions are: is there any tangible value from a non-research MS from a DO school? Any possible impact on my future career from bailing at the half way point? Any things I am not considering?

Thanks very much for reading! @Goro @Angus Avagadro @AnatomyGrey12

Members don't see this ad.

If you were my own advisee, I'd say save the money and enjoy the spring/summer. I don't think that it's worth paying the $ just to take some med school classes ahead of time.

Having been on numerous faculty search committees, I don't believe that having the MS will add anything to your CV in terms of teaching.

Reactions: 4 users
I'd ask the admissions officer at the school that accepted you. If they have no problem with your dropping the SMP, then I'd suggest you save your money

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations on your achievement! This will be a rough call for you and only you can make it. @Goro and @ DoktorMom offer sound advice.
As far as residencies, they will look at Comlex Or Usmle scores first, class rank,research, LORs, next. I think whatever prepares you best for boards and class rank is in your interest.
You have admitted you have been successful with your post Bac, so continuing and spending the money might not be necessary.
Residencies wont care if you completed a post bac or not, especially with solid board scores. So if you feel good about your study habits, take the summer off,(if your matriculation is not based on completing your program), and enjoy. Good luck and best wishes!

Reactions: 1 users
BobbyKoch, DO, MS or BobbyKoch, DO :eyebrow:

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks all for your insights. Much appreciated.

Toedrag, either way it's Dr. Bobby. :)

Reactions: 2 users