This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MaxillaryCa

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I've recently completed Uworld. I've finished three passes and I've understood the basic concepts. My question is now that I've completed Uworld, what more can I do to increase my knowledge? I've completed First Aid, Pathoma, and some anki decks. I'm taking an NBME in a day or two, but I want to know what else I can do to supplement my knowledge?

I'm trying to aim for a 250 :x Any help would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Do it again and then another time for good measure. I didn't think one pass was enough.

Reactions: 2 users
If you've done Uworld 3 times, it's time to do another Q bank. Two times is okay, but three times is likely diminishing returns. Get some fresh questions with novel presentations.You could also opt for doing another pass through FA (assuming you've only done that once).

Reactions: 1 user
If you've done Uworld 3 times, it's time to do another Q bank. Two times is okay, but three times is likely diminishing returns. Get some fresh questions with novel presentations.You could also opt for doing another pass through FA (assuming you've only done that once).

I was thinking about trying that but I'm just wondering if its even worth it. I've heard USMLE Rx is sort of mediocre compared to Uworld and Kaplan has really nit picky questions. Which one do you suggest?

Btw what about the supposed experimental questions? Are they similar to what Uworld teaches?

Members don't see this ad :)
I’ve her the experimental questions are very detailed like PhD level for example

What role does “drug you’ve never heard of” play in treating “disease you’ve never heard of”

Or taking you may know and wanting super specific “what chromosome arm is responsible for asthma” ...

Stuff like that - I just made both of those up btw but you get the idea.
Do some nbmes

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I was thinking about trying that but I'm just wondering if its even worth it. I've heard USMLE Rx is sort of mediocre compared to Uworld and Kaplan has really nit picky questions. Which one do you suggest?

Btw what about the supposed experimental questions? Are they similar to what Uworld teaches?

I've had the opposite experience, I think Kaplan is far more nit picky than Rx. I liked Rx a lot more, because by the time I was done with it I had most of First Aid memorized.

I’ve her the experimental questions are very detailed like PhD level for example

What role does “drug you’ve never heard of” play in treating “disease you’ve never heard of”

Or taking you may know and wanting super specific “what chromosome arm is responsible for asthma” ...

Stuff like that - I just made both of those up btw but you get the idea.
Do some nbmes

That sounds pretty irritating. I guess I'll just have to treat every question I don't know as an "experimental question."

I've had the opposite experience, I think Kaplan is far more nit picky than Rx. I liked Rx a lot more, because by the time I was done with it I had most of First Aid memorized.

I want to try Rx, but I'm just wondering if answering those questions right before I take the test will make me feel a little unprepared for the actual test? Would doing Uworld a 4th time actually be more beneficial?

I want to try Rx, but I'm just wondering if answering those questions right before I take the test will make me feel a little unprepared for the actual test? Would doing Uworld a 4th time actually be more beneficial?

I haven't taken the test yet so my opinion doesn't hold much weight, but I'm one of those people who kind of doubts the utility of doing UWorld twice, let alone four times. If I were you I would do another Qbank. You've probably memorized a good portion of UWorld by now.

Reactions: 1 user
I am in the same boat as you and have done UW more then 1 time. I recently started doindg Rx and its really good!!!

I am in the same boat as you and have done UW more then 1 time. I recently started doindg Rx and its really good!!!

Are the questions just as long as Uworld and difficult? Or is it just a good way to test your knowledge once you know first Aid and have gone through Uworld?

I haven't taken the test yet so my opinion doesn't hold much weight, but I'm one of those people who kind of doubts the utility of doing UWorld twice, let alone four times. If I were you I would do another Qbank. You've probably memorized a good portion of UWorld by now.

That's a good point. But theres always little facts that you tend to forget even after doing Uworld so many times.

I think the utility in doing UWorld a second time is being able to get the question right and also reason out why the other answer choices are incorrect. If you can do this you'll be ready to answer 4-5 other potential questions they could ask on the real thing. This helped me a lot on my actual test, as I got a good amount of questions right (especially in anatomy) that I wouldn't have answered correctly had I not studied the incorrect UW answer choices.

I think the utility in doing UWorld a second time is being able to get the question right and also reason out why the other answer choices are incorrect. If you can do this you'll be ready to answer 4-5 other potential questions they could ask on the real thing. This helped me a lot on my actual test, as I got a good amount of questions right (especially in anatomy) that I wouldn't have answered correctly had I not studied the incorrect UW answer choices.

Good point, I think reasoning through the incorrect choices has probably helped me learn way more than reading the explanation for the correct answer! I've been doing that on my first pass, but I guess different things work for different people.

Are the questions just as long as Uworld and difficult? Or is it just a good way to test your knowledge once you know first Aid and have gone through Uworld?
So I am only going through the medium and hard questions in the Rx qbank. The explanations aren't that long and the questions are not hard but they do test your knowledge and make you look at a topic with a different perspective, also Rx qbank focuses on some topics in First Aid that UW doesn't. I am going through a section a day in First Aid and solving the relavant questions in Rx. l will be taking an NBME at the end of this process. I hope my score improves!

So I am only going through the medium and hard questions in the Rx qbank. The explanations aren't that long and the questions are not hard but they do test your knowledge and make you look at a topic with a different perspective, also Rx qbank focuses on some topics in First Aid that UW doesn't. I am going through a section a day in First Aid and solving the relavant questions in Rx. l will be taking an NBME at the end of this process. I hope my score improves!

I've started Rx and I have to say it has definitely opened up my mind to some new thoughts. I think it's a good tool that definitely has upside to it.

Reactions: 1 users