Finished!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docslytherin

Tenacious D.O.
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
WOOO HOOO!!!!! Today was the last day of rotations (and, therefore, medical school). I'm so excited I can barely stand it.

This moment was worth everything it took to get here. Without a doubt.

John

Members don't see this ad.

Your problems just started.

Members don't see this ad :)
Imagine how you'll feel when residency ends.

Trust me, its sort of scary!:scared:

First year of being an attending is the second hardest year of the medical "journey" (hardest is internship). It's amazing how the same fellows/residents/whatevers who were sure the attending was old fashioned and conservative become....very conservative as first year attendings.

It's a huge mind-shift to all of a sudden not have anyone to call to check out what you do, especially end-of-life stuff. Sure you can call your "boss", but that's usually a mistake because then they expect you to do what they would do and that isn't what you wanted - you wanted advice and got a "plan."

It takes about 2-3 years to become comfortable as an attending and find your own style. I tease the new attendings to stop acting like fellows ("you don't have to put in your own art lines anymore, ya' know"), but it lands on deaf ears for a while.

WOOO HOOO!!!!! Today was the last day of rotations (and, therefore, medical school). I'm so excited I can barely stand it.

John

Congratulations! I'll join you in 4 weeks and 6 days.

First year of being an attending is the second hardest year of the medical "journey" (hardest is internship).

Thanks - I feel a lot better now! ;)

It's amazing how the same fellows/residents/whatevers who were sure the attending was old fashioned and conservative become....very conservative as first year attendings.

I noted this even as I matured into a senior resident and fellow; I became much more "paranoid" about things and the potential for badness. And now as I enter one of the most litiginous fields, I worry about everything...every note in the record, every conversation.:scared:

Thanks - I feel a lot better now! ;)

You're welcome!:p . Please remember that us elderly doctors are now on a first name basis with you. I get really annoyed by new attendings who call me "Doctor OBP". Come on - you can call me "old". It's funny how the veteran NICU nurses will call me by my first name, but the new attendings can't transition from last name to first name (all this assumes no patient families are around of course..).

John
Congrats. Now go out and have a few beers.

You're welcome!:p . Please remember that us elderly doctors are now on a first name basis with you. I get really annoyed by new attendings who call me "Doctor OBP". Come on - you can call me "old". It's funny how the veteran NICU nurses will call me by my first name, but the new attendings can't transition from last name to first name (all this assumes no patient families are around of course..).

I'll try - but coming from both a military family and having trained in a residency program where all the attendings are called "sir" or "m'am", its tough to reset years of practice!:D

I have def been humbled by this whole grueling experience. But it sure does feel good to be on the other side. Still, one battle won but residency is on the horizon, the humbling experience will surely continue. Congrats to all newly minted MD's and DO's. Let's all pray we won't screw up during the first few months of internship. Good luck to all.:cool:

Congrats everyone!!!

I just joined the ranks of the recently minted doctors. I can't be happier or more terrified of what's to come.

Good luck to all about to start their internships.