Finishing in 3 years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Time Table

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm in a really good problem where I left myself open to many options. When I came into college, I was thrown into a fast paced chem sequence where I took all of gen chem in one semester. This fast forwarded my classes all by a semester. However, with some AP credits and careful planning, I am able to graduate a year early. This includes about 18 credits per semester, which I've already done and it really isn't hard at all. So I planned it out and with this year early, I'll have research experience, non-clinical volunteering while I apply, clinical volunteering starting in February and shadowing which I did this past summer.

I'm looking at something like 100-130 hours of shadowing, some x amount of hours in research, possibly poster presentation, possibly 100-150 hours of volunteering in college, 500+ hours of volunteering in high school, maybe 100 hours or more of non clinical volunteering, depends on how brutal the application cycle is. Co-founder of a medicine related club and being a teaching assistant. However, the problem is that the volunteering will have been done in a short time span prior to applying, so I don't want It to be a red flag. This is the only part of my application that really worries me.

My GPA as of this moment is 3.73, however, I am confident that I can reach something around 3.8+ if I put In the effort after the MCAT. Speaking of, I posted in the MCAT forum about classes I need to take for the current MCAT and I've read the current pre-reqs should be fine, as long a I study well. I planed it out, so that if I get a 30/31+ on the MCAT, I can graduate in 3 years, If not, I can continue with the fourth year, gain a second major and have more Volunteering hours both clinical and non clinical. I left myself open the possibility that I may not get a 30/31+ and therefore, I can study for the new MCAT and take psych/soc and biochem before the MCAT2015. Alongside that, I'll have done a couple of the pre-reqs for the second major, so I can slide right into that if I don't get the 30/31+.

Now I want to know if this plan Is fine, otherwise I can wait out the year. I just want to know what adcoms such as @LizzyM , @gyngyn, and @Goro think a well as the general consensus on graduating early as well as finding any sort of flaws or speed bumps in my plan.

Members don't see this ad.

It is hard to tell what you have already done (water under the bridge) and what you plan/hope to do. That much shadowing is too much, particularly with little to no clinical volunteering but if it is done, it is done and you have to just move on.

I have never seen a student who had a strong application after two years of school (applying to start medical school after 3 years of college). I appreciate the desire to save a year's tuition but I'd strongly recommend planning for a gap year of employment or full-time service (there are a number of domestic "Corps", some sponsored by faith based organizations such as Jesuits, Lutherans, etc that are hard-core service and community living). Even driving an ambulance as an EMT-B can be a useful experience.

That would be my advice.

Reactions: 1 user
Having been through the application cycle after two years, I also advise adding in a gap year, though perhaps not for the same reasons as LizzyM. I'd do it for the maturity factor. I know, I know, you probably see yourself as very mature and motivated and ready to just stream through. But a year of working full time changes the way you look at things. Plus, you'd be able to build up a little savings to pay off application expenses and moving expenses when you do move to your new school. And if you haven't had the chance to travel or whatever yet, that's the perfect opportunity to do those things too, when you're not so concerned about checking off the boxes for medical school applications.

With your experiences, you may be able to get in after 2 years of college. But no one on SDN who has taken a gap year, as far as I've seen, has regretted it, and you are in the perfect position to get the best of both worlds--a gap year to explore and live life outside of school, and still be young when you enter med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is hard to tell what you have already done (water under the bridge) and what you plan/hope to do. That much shadowing is too much, particularly with little to no clinical volunteering but if it is done, it is done and you have to just move on.

I have never seen a student who had a strong application after two years of school (applying to start medical school after 3 years of college). I appreciate the desire to save a year's tuition but I'd strongly recommend planning for a gap year of employment or full-time service (there are a number of domestic "Corps", some sponsored by faith based organizations such as Jesuits, Lutherans, etc that are hard-core service and community living). Even driving an ambulance as an EMT-B can be a useful experience.

That would be my advice.

I've already finished the shadowing, and the volunteering I'll be able to do in February. I've done the other 500 hours in HS and I've gained a lot of insight into the field. What do you think of my application were it to be presented to you. I'd rather not deal with gap years because of the difficulty to interact with the pre-med committee once I leave.

Having been through the application cycle after two years, I also advise adding in a gap year, though perhaps not for the same reasons as LizzyM. I'd do it for the maturity factor. I know, I know, you probably see yourself as very mature and motivated and ready to just stream through. But a year of working full time changes the way you look at things. Plus, you'd be able to build up a little savings to pay off application expenses and moving expenses when you do move to your new school. And if you haven't had the chance to travel or whatever yet, that's the perfect opportunity to do those things too, when you're not so concerned about checking off the boxes for medical school applications.
With your experiences, you may be able to get in after 2 years of college. But no one on SDN who has taken a gap year, as far as I've seen, has regretted it, and you are in the perfect position to get the best of both worlds--a gap year to explore and live life outside of school, and still be young when you enter med school.

I can see why you say the maturity factor, however, I would basically lose contact with my school because of the difficulty of interacting with the pre-med committee once I graduate. I'm not worried about finances, my family is fairly well off.

If your family is well off and you aren't attempting to finish in 3 years due to financial issues, then slow down, earn a better gpa and do it in 4 years. Most pre-med committees will support alumni although you may need to make 1 trip to campus for an interview. In some cases, they can handle things by email/phone.

Most adcoms will discount work done in HS. You can't rest on your HS laurels, you have to keep at whatever you did or expand into greater challenges along the same line. If you are going to start volunteering in February and apply in June, you are cutting it too close.

Also, you should work toward a MCAT much higher than 30/31. That's barely a minimum at most schools these days.

Reactions: 1 users
What about starting volunteering this August? I'd be able to accumulate more than 150 hours then. The problem with earning a better GPA in 4 years is that I'd have a year of easy classes which I have no interest in. I'm already taking the classes that interest me currently, and with a GPA near 3.8, I feel that I'll be in a good position to have a strong application. I see your point about the MCAT, with 6 months I believe I should have a chance at getting a good MCAT score, so I regress my statement about obtaining a 30/31, I'll aim more for a 34+.

Look, everyone is trying to tell you to slow down. You want to 'run well' not 'run fast' --

By cutting your coursework load to 15 or even 12 credits instead of 18, you can increase your GPA and spend more time volunteering, researching, and building up the kind of killer ECs that will make you a stand-out candidate. (Unfortunately, graduating in 3 years won't do that...) Since you've got a good number of volunteering hours from high school, make sure you continue that activity to show the kind of continuation that will be eye-catching. And study, study, study for that MCAT so your score won't be the factor that limits your choices.

Would you rather enjoy college, graduate 'on schedule' and go to a top tier medical school? Or rush through college in three years, then go directly to a lower-mid-tier school, already burned out and stressed?

Slow down and smell the patients! ... I mean roses!

I am currently trying to do what you describe. I, however, am doing it for monetary reasons. I'm not expecting to be very successful this cycle though. But that is not stopping me from giving it my best shot. I will say that I had a good idea of what I was getting into and have been heavily involved. But it definitely has been difficult and I have very little down time. So I would definitely say it is not for everyone and you should really consider if it is something you want to do.

Look, everyone is trying to tell you to slow down. You want to 'run well' not 'run fast' --

By cutting your coursework load to 15 or even 12 credits instead of 18, you can increase your GPA and spend more time volunteering, researching, and building up the kind of killer ECs that will make you a stand-out candidate. (Unfortunately, graduating in 3 years won't do that...) Since you've got a good number of volunteering hours from high school, make sure you continue that activity to show the kind of continuation that will be eye-catching. And study, study, study for that MCAT so your score won't be the factor that limits your choices.

Would you rather enjoy college, graduate 'on schedule' and go to a top tier medical school? Or rush through college in three years, then go directly to a lower-mid-tier school, already burned out and stressed?

Slow down and smell the patients! ... I mean roses!

But the thing is, ADcoms don't look favorably at 12/15 credits because it shows a weaker schedule. I have almost no need for a 4th year because I'm not cramming anything in. I'm taking things at a pace that I like. I'll definitely increase the volunteering, both non and clinical throughout this year, so I don't know what the difference of 150 hours to 300 will be. If anything, with the new harder MCAT, my chance of getting a high grade with the lack of available review material would be a detriment to me.

The thing is, I've already smelled the roses in high school and I wasn't able to get into the top tier university that I wanted to attend. I don't want to make the same mistake again when things are panning out fairly well for me currently. If my MCAT isn't decent, I can always stay the four years, gain even better ECs, kill the new MCAT and have a good GPA. Things are working right now, so I think why not take advantage of it?

I am currently trying to do what you describe. I, however, am doing it for monetary reasons. I'm not expecting to be very successful this cycle though. But that is not stopping me from giving it my best shot. I will say that I had a good idea of what I was getting into and have been heavily involved. But it definitely has been difficult and I have very little down time. So I would definitely say it is not for everyone and you should really consider if it is something you want to do.

I guess there's always a small monetary reason, where I don't want my parents spending a lot on my undergraduate. I mean, I can always take a gap year, or continue with the 4 years, if I need to. I got 6 months to study for the MCAT, while having finished all the MCAT pre-reqs, so why not rake a relatively easier MCAT with the material still fresh in my mind.

I guess there's always a small monetary reason, where I don't want my parents spending a lot on my undergraduate. I mean, I can always take a gap year, or continue with the 4 years, if I need to. I got 6 months to study for the MCAT, while having finished all the MCAT pre-reqs, so why not rake a relatively easier MCAT with the material still fresh in my mind.
My advice would be to do what makes you happy. This is something I wanted to do because there was nothing else I wanted to do. I felt prepared enough and did not want to take a gap year for the sake of taking a gap year. Is that naive? Possibly. Will it hurt me? Probably. But does that mean I won't get in somewhere if I am qualified? I doubt it. So really, it is up to you. If you can put together great ECs by the time you could apply next year and don't want to take a gap year, you can certainly give it a shot. But realize that it is a strike against you so you have to take measures to mitigate it. You have to be sure that you come off as mature and aware of what you are getting into. That is my opinion.

Double major? Minor?
There are other options.
I wouldn't graduate early.

Double major? Minor?
There are other options.
I wouldn't graduate early.

If my MCAT isn't what I'm looking for, then I'm planning on double majoring in Econ as well. I guess this thread is better made after I take the MCAT and get my grades back to see where I stand.

The mcat basically decides everything.

Props to you on Econ btw.

The thing is, I've already smelled the roses in high school and I wasn't able to get into the top tier university that I wanted to attend. I don't want to make the same mistake again when things are panning out fairly well for me currently. If my MCAT isn't decent, I can always stay the four years, gain even better ECs, kill the new MCAT and have a good GPA. Things are working right now, so I think why not take advantage of it?

Because chances are, they won't work. You're already making a plan if your MCAT score is lower than you expect--why not just carry through with that plan and put together the best application you can rather than rushing it and failing the first time and then struggling at the 11th hour to figure out what you're going to do. It's not fun, trust me.

I already have a decent GPA, only going to get better. My ECs would go from 150 volunteering hours to 500, best case scenario. Maybe a publication. Is that really going to enhance my chances at top tier schools while stepping into a new MCAT that is two hours longer and delay a chance at applying for a year? I'm given an opportunity, and I've finished the pre-reqs, so I think I should take the MCAT. Even if I get a 35+, I can always stay for another year and carry on with the double major and ECs. I think t would be worth taking the MCAT, even if I don't apply. Don't you think so?

I don't know what the policies are going to be for the new MCAT, whether schools are going to honor the past tradition of scores valid for 3 years (in which case, by all means, take it early--I don't object to that idea at all), or whether they're going to require everyone applying for matriculation in 2016 to take the new version. I suspect it will be the former, mostly because they won't know how to interpret the new MCAT scores and will likely just look at the previous subsections anyway, but who knows.

I never objected to you taking the MCAT early. I was objecting to you applying early. By all means--if you're ready for the MCAT, take it, and get it out of the way.

I could also graduate in 3 years but I gave it some though and I am very much looking for taking whatever classes I feel like taking my senior year. I have quite a lot of interests outside of my major and I haven't gotten a chance to explore them yet. I have consulted multiple resources and there is a consensus that graduating early is never to your advantage. You will be a more well-rounded individual after 4 years of undergrad. Sure you can take the bare minimum for MCAT, but there is strong evidence that taking classes such as Cell Bio, Physiology, and Genetics will all help you with MCAT. I am not at all an advocate for taking too long to graduate but I believe you will be better off if you don't rush things so much. You can try to convince any of us about the reasoning behind your decision but really you are just trying to make yourself feel better about it.

I don't know what the policies are going to be for the new MCAT, whether schools are going to honor the past tradition of scores valid for 3 years (in which case, by all means, take it early--I don't object to that idea at all), or whether they're going to require everyone applying for matriculation in 2016 to take the new version. I suspect it will be the former, mostly because they won't know how to interpret the new MCAT scores and will likely just look at the previous subsections anyway, but who knows.

I never objected to you taking the MCAT early. I was objecting to you applying early. By all means--if you're ready for the MCAT, take it, and get it out of the way.

Yeah, I feel that I should do just that, take my second major, but take the MCAT early. That way, if I need to take it again, it'll be the new one and I'll have all the material under my belt for it.

I could also graduate in 3 years but I gave it some though and I am very much looking for taking whatever classes I feel like taking my senior year. I have quite a lot of interests outside of my major and I haven't gotten a chance to explore them yet. I have consulted multiple resources and there is a consensus that graduating early is never to your advantage. You will be a more well-rounded individual after 4 years of undergrad. Sure you can take the bare minimum for MCAT, but there is strong evidence that taking classes such as Cell Bio, Physiology, and Genetics will all help you with MCAT. I am not at all an advocate for taking too long to graduate but I believe you will be better off if you don't rush things so much. You can try to convince any of us about the reasoning behind your decision but really you are just trying to make yourself feel better about it.

Yeah, I'm leaning towards not graduating early, rather taking the MCAT early because it would be to my benefit. If I don't do as well as I want, I can always take it again. But the MCAT is going to change, so I wanna take advantage of the current MCAT and the available resources to do well.

I already have a decent GPA, only going to get better. My ECs would go from 150 volunteering hours to 500, best case scenario. Maybe a publication. Is that really going to enhance my chances at top tier schools while stepping into a new MCAT that is two hours longer and delay a chance at applying for a year? I'm given an opportunity, and I've finished the pre-reqs, so I think I should take the MCAT. Even if I get a 35+, I can always stay for another year and carry on with the double major and ECs. I think t would be worth taking the MCAT, even if I don't apply. Don't you think so?

Best case scenario rarely happens. I was in a similar situation as you, but could not afford to do a fourth year of undergrad. If it were feasible, staying an additional year would have done wonders for my GPA. You don't need to make that mistake yourself. Baring an apocalypse, medical schools will still exist a year from now and taking that extra year to make a "good" app a great app is worth it.

Long story short, take the well seasoned advice that everyone on this thread is offering. If you don't absolutely have to graduate ahead of time for serious financial reasons, don't. You'll be surprised at how quickly the extra year will pass by.

I have consulted multiple resources and there is a consensus that graduating early is never to your advantage. You will be a more well-rounded individual after 4 years of undergrad.

My bias here is huge, but I disagree. It's not the fact that you graduate early that's the problem--it's when you try to graduate early and apply on a 'normal' timeline (during your 'senior'/last year in college). You simply can't get enough experiences and whatnot in 2 years to compare to traditional applicants who have had 3 years to get them.

If you graduate early but still apply with your peers (after you graduate, rather than during your senior year), I'd argue that you have the potential to be more well-rounded because you have the free time to do something else during that gap year that people in school may not be able to do. That just might not show up on your initial application because you haven't done it yet.

100% agree with everything my learned colleague has stated here and above.

If your family is well off and you aren't attempting to finish in 3 years due to financial issues, then slow down, earn a better gpa and do it in 4 years. Most pre-med committees will support alumni although you may need to make 1 trip to campus for an interview. In some cases, they can handle things by email/phone.

Most adcoms will discount work done in HS. You can't rest on your HS laurels, you have to keep at whatever you did or expand into greater challenges along the same line. If you are going to start volunteering in February and apply in June, you are cutting it too close.

Also, you should work toward a MCAT much higher than 30/31. That's barely a minimum at most schools these days.