Finishing tests quickly

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hellogeorge

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what people's thoughts were on finishing tests rather quickly. In my class, the same people always finish well in advance of the rest of the class. We're talking like 10-15 minutes. Sometimes I feel like these people don't respect the class or are showing off.

Any experiences like this at other schools?

Members don't see this ad.

if you know the answers, the questions are easy.

Time is money. Not everything has to be ran like a government operation.

Members don't see this ad :)
People do things at different speeds. I take written tests lightning fast but I can't finish my preps within 30 mins at the moment. I'm sure it's reversed for other people. Don't worry about it and focus on what you're doing.

I was wondering what people's thoughts were on finishing tests rather quickly. In my class, the same people always finish well in advance of the rest of the class. We're talking like 10-15 minutes. Sometimes I feel like these people don't respect the class or are showing off.

haha i remember people like you. i was always one of the first to finish and it pissed off people like you.. i tell you the same thing i told the others; STFU and mind your own business.. remember it too; that applies to a lot of things in life

Reactions: 2 users
Different people have different strategies so don't take it personally. I like to have intense concentration and try to do the test as fast and efficiently as I can in the beginning because I didn't use to have the stamina to take my time (until I started getting ready for the DAT). I leave early because I know no matter how many times I try to redo a question the result will be the same and that I have already given my all.

In the past those people who walk out before i bubble in my name has annoyed me too, but it annoyed me because I didn't have the capability to do it. Part of moving forward in education is learning that some people are just better than you at some things, and you should respect them for it not get annoyed about it and hopefully they'll do the same when you're better than them at something.

Reactions: 1 users
In the past those people who walk out before i bubble in my name has annoyed me too, but it annoyed me because I didn't have the capability to do it. Part of moving forward in education is learning that some people are just better than you at some things, and you should respect them for it not get annoyed about it and hopefully they'll do the same when you're better than them at something.

+1 Well said

Just mind your own business. Please, don't be offended by this. Your standard is not theirs. I am a pretty slow test taker, and I am more than happy with my class rank. If they want to start their weekend early, probably (not always) at the detriment of their scores, more power to them. To add another opinion/observation: there is little correlation between slow test-taking and slowness of thought or work on clinic.

If they're trying to show off, then either:

1. They are scoring low-mid because they are rushing to finish first, in which case you shouldn't mind because they will be doing worse than you, or

2. They are scoring mid-high because they know the material, in which case why should they stick around if they are sure of their answers?

I usually finish first 5-10 in my class of 40 because I answer questions quickly and decide early I am set with my answers. Many of my classmates prefer to sit there for longer to double, triple, etc check their answers. Why? I don't know. Once I determine that sitting around won't help me figure out any more answers, I'm done. The less time I have to spend in the classroom, the better.

I'm not sure why you think that the people who leave tests early aren't respecting the rest of the class. You jealous?

Reactions: 1 user
Time is money. Not everything has to be ran like a government operation.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: - Hilarious.

Its funny, I am always amazed when some people finish a test in minutes. There use to be two dudes doing that. I mean, it was like they were competing.

bote of them slowed down considerably loolololololol

are you serious? :lame:

who cares if they finish early? it's not your concern

I take written tests lightning fast

Oral is not kidding... he generally finishes a 50 question written exam in about 15-20 minutes. It's only distracting because the smoke coming off of his paper can be a bit bothersome.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oral is not kidding... he generally finishes a 50 question written exam in about 15-20 minutes. It's only distracting because the smoke coming off of his paper can be a bit bothersome.

....2 seconds

images

I really cannot believe someone in DENTAL SCHOOL would post something like this. Grow up and get over it. Or should I say, quit being angry that people can finish a test in half the time as you and still dominate you on it.

If you ain't first, you're last!

At least that's what I've been told... :)

lol funny thread... Got me wondering though, I know at UMDNJ they dont even let people leave the exam if they finish early. This surprised me. Are
most dental schools like this, or is it like undergrad where you can just leave when you finish? anyone know how it is at columbia?

lol funny thread... Got me wondering though, I know at UMDNJ they dont even let people leave the exam if they finish early. This surprised me. Are
most dental schools like this, or is it like undergrad where you can just leave when you finish? anyone know how it is at columbia?

You get to leave once you finish the exam. Some people will take the entire 2 hours for a 30 question exam and others are done in 10 minutes. I would be pissed off if I had to wait the entire time.

probably (not always) at the detriment of their scores, more power to them.

You crack me up. It doesn't seem like you're as over it as you think when you say stuff like this. I typically finish in the "top 5" of fast test takers and my class rank isn't hurting. Honestly as others have said, Dental school is an exercise in studiously avoiding comparing YOUR progress to that of others. You're going to continue to get upset/pissed if you constantly are upset by stuff like this...

Seriously??

Nah, man. At Columbia they allow us to leave once we are done.

I guess it's just my personality to use the time I'm allotted to make sure I've put my best foot forward. Hastily flipping through a test to be the first one done has always seemed kind of foolish.

You crack me up. It doesn't seem like you're as over it as you think when you say stuff like this. I typically finish in the "top 5" of fast test takers and my class rank isn't hurting. Honestly as others have said, Dental school is an exercise in studiously avoiding comparing YOUR progress to that of others. You're going to continue to get upset/pissed if you constantly are upset by stuff like this...

Thus the "(not always)" part. Just speaking from my own experience from people in my class. There is a good chance this will be different from your own experience.

I've always felt you should take your time, answer thoughtfully and check your answers once. If you're done first, great. If it takes the whole period, no problem.

I admit that I have finished tests in the past and waited to turn them in until others have so I don't look like I'm trying to show off to the class that I finished first. This always was the case when I studied well. I'm sure plenty of the first-finishers are trying to show that they are the fastest (by turning tests in quickly without finishing or checking all the answers) but some just honestly know the material well and fly through the exams.

Interesting thread!

I've always felt you should take your time, answer thoughtfully and check your answers once. If you're done first, great. If it takes the whole period, no problem.

I admit that I have finished tests in the past and waited to turn them in until others have so I don't look like I'm trying to show off to the class that I finished first. This always was the case when I studied well. I'm sure plenty of the first-finishers are trying to show that they are the fastest (by turning tests in quickly without finishing or checking all the answers) but some just honestly know the material well and fly through the exams.

Interesting thread!

Do people really believe this about "the first-finishers"? I'm usually finished quite quickly, but I turn my things in after checking several times.

Sometimes people are fast readers who make decisions about multiple choice exams quickly. Sitting and staring at the quiz isn't going to lightning-bolt me answers that I've clearly forgotten. If anything, sitting and overthinking is simply going to make me change answers that I'll later wish I hadn't changed.

Different people have different speeds. I don't get why this is such a big deal, or why people actually think that fast quiztakers are showing a "lack of respect for the class", lol. By that logic, nobody should turn in their quiz until you guys [not necessarily the poster I quoted, but the others above, including the original poster] say that it's been "enough time to show proper respect". Really strange perspective on things.

Sometimes people are fast readers who make decisions about multiple choice exams quickly. Sitting and staring at the quiz isn't going to lightning-bolt me answers that I've clearly forgotten. If anything, sitting and overthinking is simply going to make me change answers that I'll later wish I hadn't changed.

Different people have different speeds. I don't get why this is such a big deal, or why people actually think that fast quiztakers are showing a "lack of respect for the class", lol. By that logic, nobody should turn in their quiz until you guys [not necessarily the poster I quoted, but the others above, including the original poster] say that it's been "enough time to show proper respect". Really strange perspective on things.

+1000.. after a few tests i decided that i would just go through the test one time; take my time with each question and move on. if i go through it a few times i'll end up over-analyzing the question and changing a potentially right answer to a wrong answer. your initial gut feeling is usually right

Sometimes I feel like these people don't respect the class or are showing off.

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Freaking crappy dental school tests that teach you nothing about the real world. I have no space left in my dwindling brain capacity for pondering multiple-multiple-multiple-multiple blah blah blah questions.

I really cannot believe someone in DENTAL SCHOOL would post something like this. Grow up and get over it. Or should I say, quit being angry that people can finish a test in half the time as you and still dominate you on it.

This is most entertaining thread ever! DOMINATE!!!

40 Q exam today in 11 min, booooyah DENTAL SCHOOL DOMINATION.

And yes nay-sayers I checked my test over, 3 times in fact. Some people just read quickly.

Ricky Bobby: If you ain't first, you're last.

I finished a biochem test in dental school before the professor finished handing it out once. Got a 100%. Then, they gave me a certificate and $100 for being so awesome at biochem.

Haters gon' hate.

Reactions: 1 users
Some people read really fast. Do you honestly think they should sit and look at their completed exam for an extra 10 minutes or so, just to be sure no one feels insecure about how long they are taking?

I'm a fast test taker and I usually score well above the class average. When I take an exam, I answer the ones I am 100% on and skip the ones that require more consideration. Then I go back through and take all the time necessary that I need to reach 100% certainty or as close to 100% as I will ever be. Then I read them all through one by one again to be certain I am still 100% as I bubble them in. Then I turn it in-- it just so happens that it is usually before most of my other classmates are done.

At no point during taking the exam do I think about what my other classmates are thinking of me or how impressed they'll be that I finished quickly. Nope. In fact, I don't think about my fellow classmates at all. I'm just focusing on the exam. I would never have imagined that anyone would be thinking about how long it takes me to finish my exam, until I read this thread. I'm sorry if I sound patronizing, but if being fast is important to you, maybe you should spend more time focusing on your exam and less time worrying who is done before you and just how long they actually took.

And what practical benefit is there to take exams quickly, anyway? Why would that be a point of pride? In our futures as dentists, it would be far more beneficial to be wicked fast at cutting preps, which I am not. I take every second available to me when I take lab practicals. With didactics exams, there is a right answer and once you've reached it, you move on. With lab practicals, it seems like there's always more to do, even if it's just more smoothing. I'm definitely at the back of the line for turning stuff in. I'm fully aware that some people have a better eye for it than I do, or are better at getting their hands to do exactly what they want, or maybe their standards are lower-- so what!!! When I'm actually a dentist, none of those people will be around and how long it took for me to complete a single one of my exams (lab or didactic) won't matter a bit.

Sometimes I feel like these people don't respect the class or are showing off.

LOL seriously? So if we are given a 90 minute time slot for an exam and I finish 20 minutes in, you think I should just sit there for another 40 minutes to spare your ego and be respectful of you? How about you respect people's time... no one is obligated to sit in an exam room for longer than it takes to finish the exam, unless faculty says no one could leave before a certain time.

You will always have people that finish quickly. But you shouldn't see it as disrespectful or showing off. If you are finished with an exam why would you just sit there staring at your computer screen? The proctors or professors could not care less if you leave a test early.