Firecracker

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JackShephard MD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
med.firecracker.me

New medical education website rooted in an adaptive learning platform. Looks impressive, check it out.

Cheers.

Members don't see this ad.

oh, so I should start from the beginning and work my way back to present?
I flag current material as I learn it in class, and try to flag 1 or 2 things from the beginning. You've got lots of time to add the old stuff. I find it helpful to flag the material I learned in class that day so I get it down before the test.

Is there any way to "unflag" questions that I temporarily don't want to see in the app? It's easy to do this online, but I can't figure out how to do it using the app.

I have not been able to get the new app to come up on the iPad, is anyone else having the same problem?? I deleted then reinstalled it to no avail thinking that it just needed a reboot. All I have is a blank screen that comes up. It does work on the iPhone but not on the iPad for one reason or another.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I am a M1 and I am trying to review all the material we have covered thusfar. I flagged everything we have covered and Firecracker wants me to do 1300 questions today (??). I understand the Anki settings but I don't understand these. I would like to have a manageable number of questions (maybe 100) that I can do every day but I'm not quite sure how to set that up. Help please? Thanks!!!

That's not how FC is intended to be used. Choose one topic, read the supplied material, flag the topic, do the study quiz, and proceed to the next subject. Repeat until you're caught up. This way you don't get a backlog of flagged questions and can add content parallel to your daily review.

If you just covered the material, skip the reading and just flag and take the quiz. That's typically what I do if I'm adding old content and read if it's current content.

Reactions: 1 user
I have not been able to get the new app to come up on the iPad, is anyone else having the same problem?? I deleted then reinstalled it to no avail thinking that it just needed a reboot. All I have is a blank screen that comes up. It does work on the iPhone but not on the iPad for one reason or another.

There are known issues with the app on an iPad, either it won't show up at all or it only works in portrait mode. Supposedly there will be a fix for that in the next update, according to the Firecracker rep who posts in this thread.

Your app sucks just offer one synchronous fix across all platforms and be done with it. Cut out all of this staggered app release then website release then beta version of this and that. It's freaking frustrating to pay this much and it's been an uncoordinated mess for 3 months

I agree this has not been handled well, and this rollout led to a serious change in our planning / release / leadership. We do still need a little time to get things up to speed, but it will not be done this way in the future.

Good question. I like how its currently set up since I can decide to "flag" a few older topics per days that I feel comfortable with. With the app to "flag" old topics would I just go into a section and start doing older questions?

Yes.

Do you guys suggest just punting my web questions and only doing questions on mobile? I'm gathering it's a waste of time to do the web ones since they are ditching it soon.

/Pretty frustrated MS1, can't imagine how pissed you second years are.

If you're someone who doesn't follow the exact number of questions each day from the web -- that's 99% of users -- I encourage you to use the mobile. If you still want to do an exact number of questions and keep up with it every day, use the web. Firecracker is adding a feature right now to bring back the daily question count to mobile.

I'm sure you guys have already heard this question 100 times but when I use the app now, it seems like you can't flag topics. I get that you can go the specific topics you want and do Qs but is there no longer a way to flag and do multiple topics at the same time?

When you do questions in the app, that is a de facto flag. If you start a quiz from a topic, that topic is added to your study plan.

Reactions: 1 users
There are known issues with the app on an iPad, either it won't show up at all or it only works in portrait mode. Supposedly there will be a fix for that in the next update, according to the Firecracker rep who posts in this thread.

An update fixing disordered topic cards, syncing, the broken iPad app, and a host of other fixes was submitted to Apple last week.

Thanks, I'll just use that until they update.

FC reps, please bring a total question counter for >80 and section for notes/mnemonics to the mobile app.

A question counter -- a much better one than the current one -- is coming / being worked on now. The difference will be, if you miss a day on the new version, it won't stack two days worth of questions together, it will spread all your questions out until your test date (which we will be asking you to put in).

Bringing notes / mnemonics will happen, but it's not being actively worked on this moment. The old web app will be available for this until it's brought to mobile.

I agree with the two previous posters. Go back to the old counter, or at least allow the new one to keep counting past 80.

Will do.
Is there any way to "unflag" questions that I temporarily don't want to see in the app? It's easy to do this online, but I can't figure out how to do it using the app.

Working on it!

As someone someone who is going to buy firecracker for the first time what should I do? use the app or use the website version? I want to go through each organ system one by one, would this sort of method be possible in the app? I plan on using firecracker as my primary study method for the next 6 months until step 1

Last edited:
@jwfirecracks how does one read the relevant topic on the app before flagging it? It seems the app is just for questions after flagging topics online?

Is there no need to flag topics in the new algorithm? Just start questions on them?

@jwfirecracks how does one read the relevant topic on the app before flagging it? It seems the app is just for questions after flagging topics online?

Is there no need to flag topics in the new algorithm? Just start questions on them?

You can read all the topics in the app! Click the questions button in the bottom menu bar, then navigate to the topic you want on screen.

You can read all the topics in the app! Click the questions button in the bottom menu bar, then navigate to the topic you want on screen.

The topics I flagged online are showing up as 0% flagged in the app when I go to those topics. Why is that?

The topics I flagged online are showing up as 0% flagged in the app when I go to those topics. Why is that?

The percent is the percent of questions answered, not flagged. You can click on the percent to do new questions only.

Members don't see this ad :)
As someone someone who is going to buy firecracker for the first time what should I do? use the app or use the website version? I want to go through each organ system one by one, would this sort of method be possible in the app? I plan on using firecracker as my primary study method for the next 6 months until step 1
Considering they are planning to switch the website to be like the app, I'd go with the app. Especially if you're just starting. Like I've said, I still flag material on the website but do all my questions in the app.

Also, the newest android app update seems to have fixed any discrepancies between the app and the m.firecracker version.

Considering they are planning to switch the website to be like the app, I'd go with the app. Especially if you're just starting. Like I've said, I still flag material on the website but do all my questions in the app.

Also, the newest android app update seems to have fixed any discrepancies between the app and the m.firecracker version.
ok thanks, I was leaning toward that. Just to be clear, when you say you still flag material on the website are you referring to the m.firecracker.me website or www.firecracker.me?

The percent is the percent of questions answered, not flagged. You can click on the percent to do new questions only.

So at point do the topics get flagged in the app? When you start the questions for a topic? At that point they will start showing up in your daily questions?

A question counter -- a much better one than the current one -- is coming / being worked on now. The difference will be, if you miss a day on the new version, it won't stack two days worth of questions together, it will spread all your questions out until your test date (which we will be asking you to put in).

Bringing notes / mnemonics will happen, but it's not being actively worked on this moment. The old web app will be available for this until it's brought to mobile.

Will do.

Working on it!

I'd like the ability to turn off that distribution feature and allow it to stack. I prefer the stacking.

So what happens if you only do the 80 questions per day on the app? Would you remember the cards as well as you would if you used the old website platform? Seems like 80 per day just wouldn't let you see each card enough times, maybe I just don't understand the new engine.

I'd like the ability to turn off that distribution feature and allow it to stack. I prefer the stacking.
I don't think that is planned, it's not a feature but the algorithm of the feature.

So what happens if you only do the 80 questions per day on the app? Would you remember the cards as well as you would if you used the old website platform? Seems like 80 per day just wouldn't let you see each card enough times, maybe I just don't understand the new engine.

1. You need to start early. 2. Most users don't follow the intense recommendation, but when Firecracker collected scores and correlated to use, the most successful users did 80 a day / 560 a week. The 80 is a manageable goal to slow users to always know they need to do 80 a day and plan appropriately.

The goal / test date feature will give you an exact number of questions a day you need to do to see all questions before your test date, which you will enter.

you can do more

I don't think that is planned, it's not a feature but the algorithm of the feature.

1. You need to start early. 2. Most users don't follow the intense recommendation, but when Firecracker collected scores and correlated to use, the most successful users did 80 a day / 560 a week. The 80 is a manageable goal to slow users to always know they need to do 80 a day and plan appropriately.

The goal / test date feature will give you an exact number of questions a day you need to do to see all questions before your test date, which you will enter.

When is the expected mobile app coming to web version?

And when is the test date feature suppose to be implemented?

I also heard there was a opt out feature to stick with the old web version, how long will that opt out last for?

Is there also a legendary mode for the new mobile version?

Btw thanks for answering these questions, I actually remember you came to my school last year and it was informative.

Last edited:

surely you can make one aspect of the algorithm modifiable?

I also heard there was a opt out feature to stick with the old web version, how long will that opt out last for?

Btw thanks for answering these questions, I actually remember you came to my school last year and it was informative.
This has never been stated. On the previous page I suggested that they SHOULD give an opt-out option to 2nd years who are well into the program. It would only make sense.

What's the ETA for the test date feature on the mobile app? Also, I know there is a feature to "do new questions", but how can I do questions I've already seen (review questions). The blog post wasn't quite clear (what green arrow?). Is doing questions by rating the only way? Is is possible to do review questions for a specific topic possible?

Thanks

Btw, this approach is much much better and seems to be working well on both iPad and iPhone. I have tried and given up on firecracker many times in the past and think I'll actually stick with it this time. It's a shame my exam is in June and thus won't benefit from this update as much as I would have if it had come earlier. Hopefully the recommended amount is within a reasonable range.

Last edited:
I haven't started using the new algorithm/app but from the sound of things, it seems to be a positive change. However, a reasonably significant part of my preparation is based on added notes/mnemonics which judging by what has been mentioned earlier in the thread, I'll be losing. Another concern is the lack of explanation that was given with MCQs (as added info is sometimes not present on the notes). These two concerns are actually holding me back from starting to use the new app. Is there any plan to offer these features?

I haven't started using the new algorithm/app but from the sound of things, it seems to be a positive change. However, a reasonably significant part of my preparation is based on added notes/mnemonics which judging by what has been mentioned earlier in the thread, I'll be losing. Another concern is the lack of explanation that was given with MCQs (as added info is sometimes not present on the notes). These two concerns are actually holding me back from starting to use the new app. Is there any plan to offer these features?

yeah I've had multiple questions where the page it links to, to explain the question doesn't even explain the right answer.

yeah I've had multiple questions where the page it links to, to explain the question doesn't even explain the right answer.
Yup, me too. I always just leave feedback on the question and say that something's broken or there is incorrect info. They tend to fix questions within a couple days of my leaving feedback.

so if you do questions on mobile, it won't update on web, right? if so a) this is stupid b) what is the point of sync then, just to allow newly flagged topics on web to be quizzed? so you effectively have to either do all your questions on web or all on mobile? this seems like the mobile was released extremely prematurely

So I've made the full switch over to mobile over the past week or so. Here are my thoughts. Someone has said most of them, but I'll just reiterate.

Initially, it was a pain in the rear and I was stressed out.

Why? Because the mobile version contained a bunch of MC questions that I had never seen before (I presume these were added to topics I had already flagged that were for some reason not appearing in my web questions). I was confused.

BUT, once I got through that pile of new questions, things returned to normal.

I've been flagging topics as I do them in class on the original med.firecracker.me, then move over to http://m.firecracker.me/ (the mobile version inside my PC web browser) and answer the questions.

Ever since then, it's been quite smooth. The interface is pretty nice. I just need a question counter for (>80) cause I like to target a higher number. They say that's coming soon, but in the meantime if you are curious to see how many you've done today go to https://med.firecracker.me/dashboard.

Last edited:
So I've made the full switch over to mobile over the past week or so. Here are my thoughts. Someone has said most of them, but I'll just reiterate.

Thanks for this. Still afraid to make the switch, but I'll try it over break (guess I'll have to eventually). Can you let us know how many topics you have flagged, and approximately how long it took you get thru all the new questions?

Thanks for this. Still afraid to make the switch, but I'll try it over break (guess I'll have to eventually). Can you let us know how many topics you have flagged, and approximately how long it took you get thru all the new questions?
My experience has been virtually the same, and I switched with ~300 flagged I think. I mostly used the website for daily questions and did 50ish of the new questions a day in the app until I finished them (Took a week or two). I now use the app only.

Is there also a legendary mode for the new mobile version?

1. Before Christmas.

2. Hesitate to give concrete dates given lag time of Apple app store submissions, but this feature is well underway, and is highest priority. Soon.

3. The web app will be a beta and an opt-in; you can choose to go to the new web app if you like. No concrete time on how long before change is permanent, but I empathize with those that would like to continue through Step in summer 2015 without a change in things, and I don't think that is an unreasonable expectation.

4. Mobile is legendary exclusively, a transition away from modes in general.
surely you can make one aspect of the algorithm modifiable?

Digging a little into why you want questions to stack -- 1. that's what it currently does. 2. The way this feature is set up is that it's a live-adjusting count of questions each day. So if you want to do more than are recommended each day, it will affect what future recommendations are.

I don't see making aspects of the algo adjustable at the moment.

There's a fix for this in the latest release. Notes will be coming to the app in 2015.

so if you do questions on mobile, it won't update on web, right? if so a) this is stupid b) what is the point of sync then, just to allow newly flagged topics on web to be quizzed? so you effectively have to either do all your questions on web or all on mobile? this seems like the mobile was released extremely prematurely

a. This is incorrect, both web and app sync questions you've done. You can verify this by doing a few questions in the app and going to https://med.firecracker.me/dashboard/question_history. b. sync is to push updated content.

Why? Because the mobile version contained a bunch of MC questions that I had never seen before (I presume these were added to topics I had already flagged that were for some reason not appearing in my web questions). I was confused.

BUT, once I got through that pile of new questions, things returned to normal.

The algo on the apps reallllllllly encourage you to answer questions previously known as "study questions"....one's you've flagged but haven't taken yet. So, early on, you're getting study questions you haven't answered before.

Also, the apps work in legendary mode. So if you're in normal on the web, you're going to get the legendary questions you haven't seen.

After you get through the initial unseen questions, the daily recommended questions are much more in line with the web app, just prioritized differently.

Last edited:
1. Before Christmas.

2. Hesitate to give concrete dates given lag time of Apple app store submissions, but this feature is well underway, and is highest priority. Soon.

3. The web app will be a beta and an opt-in; you can choose to go to the new web app if you like. No concrete time on how long before change is permanent, but I empathize with those that would like to continue through Step in summer 2015 without a change in things, and I don't think that is an unreasonable expectation.

4. Mobile is legendary exclusively, a transition away from modes in general.

Digging a little into why you want questions to stack -- 1. that's what it currently does. 2. The way this feature is set up is that it's a live-adjusting count of questions each day. So if you want to do more than are recommended each day, it will affect what future recommendations are.

I don't see making aspects of the algo adjustable at the moment.

There's a fix for this in the latest release. Notes will be coming to the app in 2015.

a. This is incorrect, both web and app sync questions you've done. You can verify this by doing a few questions in the app and going to https://med.firecracker.me/dashboard/question_history. b. sync is to push updated content.

The algo on the apps reallllllllly encourage you to answer questions previously known as "study questions"....one's you've flagged but haven't taken yet. So, early on, you're getting study questions you haven't answered before.

Also, the apps work in legendary mode. So if you're in normal on the web, you're going to get the legendary questions you haven't seen.

After you get through the initial unseen questions, the daily recommended questions are much more in line with the web app, just prioritized differently.

Any chance of adding Lite Mode back to the mobile app?
Its basically the only reason I use FC... Very disappointing to see it go

I'd just make the switch since it seems inevitable. And again, once you get through the new questions you'll see a return to normal. I have 160 topics flagged. It didn't take too long, maybe a week? I wasn't going too hard on them cause I was still working on the site and doing the mobile in line at Chipotle.

Haven't kept up with the thread, so sorry if these questions have been addressed!

Say I have 100 review questions scheduled today on desktop. Will my "goal" 80 questions on mobile all be from that list of 100 questions? So, for example, if I completed all 80 questions on mobile would my desktop FC update and show only 20 review questions remaining? If so, if I went to "insights" on desktop, would it show my stats for the 80 questions I completed on mobile?

I know this is something I can test on my own, but my mobile hasn't been updating for the past several days. By that I mean that it says that I completed my goal of 80 questions for the day even before I do any questions on desktop (or mobile). I've tried logging out/in on the app and on desktop and also restarting the app on my phone, but it stays locked in at "completed".

PS. I appreciate the time you're putting in to hearing all our questions/concerns @jwfirecracks. Sorry for being a dick earlier. I had a bad case of keyboard crusader.

Haven't kept up with the thread, so sorry if these questions have been addressed!

Say I have 100 review questions scheduled today on desktop. Will my "goal" 80 questions on mobile all be from that list of 100 questions? So, for example, if I completed all 80 questions on mobile would my desktop FC update and show only 20 review questions remaining? If so, if I went to "insights" on desktop, would it show my stats for the 80 questions I completed on mobile?

I know this is something I can test on my own, but my mobile hasn't been updating for the past several days. By that I mean that it says that I completed my goal of 80 questions for the day even before I do any questions on desktop (or mobile). I've tried logging out/in on the app and on desktop and also restarting the app on my phone, but it stays locked in at "completed".

PS. I appreciate the time you're putting in to hearing all our questions/concerns @jwfirecracks. Sorry for being a dick earlier. I had a bad case of keyboard crusader.
Reading the past 2 pages of this thread will answer all your questions.

Many of these questions need to be reformatted to show the actual answer on the iPhone app. It's tedious to have to click the green text every time to see the answer... This isn't a situation where the hidden section is optional.

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1418692318.080583.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
My RSS reader captured a Firecracker blog post describing a beta version of the website that's aligned with the app. Sadly, the blog post seems to have been put up prematurely, and didn't have a link to the web app... and has since been deleted... But does anyone have the beta app link they could post or PM me? @jwfirecracks

Reached 1,000 topics flagged a few days ago. I hope to be finished flagging (whether I finish anatomy and embryo or not) in 3-ish weeks.

I typically have 150-250 questions / day and I've been pretty generous in my scoring to try and keep the daily question total lower. I'll start being more realistic with scoring things I'm still not solid on shortly but for sure a lot of it has stuck pretty well.

Exam is late April.

Does anyone know what the discrepancy is between the app and the site for percent of questions flagged? For example, I've had 100% of anatomy banked for months, however I'm only 95% banked on the app. My total percent of content banked is like 52% on the app versus close to 65% on website.

Reached 1,000 topics flagged a few days ago. I hope to be finished flagging (whether I finish anatomy and embryo or not) in 3-ish weeks.

I typically have 150-250 questions / day and I've been pretty generous in my scoring to try and keep the daily question total lower. I'll start being more realistic with scoring things I'm still not solid on shortly but for sure a lot of it has stuck pretty well.

Exam is late April.

You're killin it man! I hope to catch up this break

Does anyone know what the discrepancy is between the app and the site for percent of questions flagged? For example, I've had 100% of anatomy banked for months, however I'm only 95% banked on the app. My total percent of content banked is like 52% on the app versus close to 65% on website.
The app doesn't reflect material flagged. It reflects what percentage of questions you've completed. The app has a lot of additional questions so something you have completed on the website might have a bunch more on the app. Go into anatomy and touch the '95%' and you'll see the option to 'do new questions' I believe.

Exam is late April.
Beast mode!